William Maley

VW News: As the Diesel Emits: Lawsuit Alleges Bosch Wanted Protection From Volkswagen Defeat Device

2 posts in this topic

William Maley    393

If there is one thing we have learned during the Volkswagen diesel emission scandal, it is this: Just when you think you have everything figured out, there is always a surprise waiting around the corner to add a new twist. 

Bloomberg reports that Bosch allegedly asked Volkswagen for legal protection over damages from the defeat device it helped developed. This allegation comes from a revised lawsuit filed by Volkswagen owners in the U.S. against the two companies. The filing says this request was in a letter sent to Volkswagen June 2, 2008.

“Plaintiffs do not have a full record of what unfolded in response to Bosch’s June 2, 2008, letter. However, it is indisputable that Bosch continued to develop and sell to Volkswagen hundreds of thousands of the defeat devices for U.S. vehicles” even after it acknowledged in writing that the use of software as a “defeat device” was illegal in the U.S. according to the filing.

“Volkswagen apparently refused to indemnify Bosch, but Bosch nevertheless continued to develop the so-called ‘akustikfunktion’ (the code name used for the defeat device) for Volkswagen for another seven years,” the filing goes on to say.

In the original suit filed last month, it alleged Bosch played a key role in conspiring with VW on developing the defeat device and concealing information about it when U.S. regulators started asking questions. At the time, Bosch rejected the claims as “wild and unfounded”. What changed within a month? Lawyers representing the owners uncovered more information.

Bosch spokesman Rene Ziegler declined to comment on this story to Bloomberg.

Source: Bloomberg

View full article

dfelt    1,773

Ouch, I would short Bosch stock, as this will hurt their earnings.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Ever since the Volkswagen Buzz I.D. concept made its debut, rumors have been flying as to whether or not the German automaker would go forward with it. Yesterday at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, Volkswagen finally put the rumors to rest. 
      "After the presentations at the global motor shows in Detroit and Geneva, we received a large number of letters and emails from customers who said, 'please build this car’,” said Volkswagen CEO Herbert Diess.  
      "The Microbus has long been part of the California lifestyle. Now we're bringing it back by reinventing it as an electric vehicle."
      Before you start lining up at your Volkswagen dealer, the company says the model will not launch till 2022. Models such as the I.D. hatchback and I.D. Crozz will go on sale first.
      The production variant will be based on Volkswagen's upcoming MEB platform. Rear-wheel drive will be standard, while AWD will be an option. Volkswagen is also planning to offer the Buzz as both a passenger van and a cargo van.
      Source: Volkswagen
      Press Release is on Page 2

VOLKSWAGEN TAKES BOLD DECISION TO PUT I.D. BUZZ ELECTRIC CONCEPT CAR INTO PRODUCTION
      Volkswagen management announces production plans for the 21st century Microbus at the home of the Pebble Beach Concours D’Elegance Pebble Beach, California – At the Detroit Show in early 2017, Volkswagen showed the I.D. BUZZ concept car, a fully electric vehicle that taps in to the spirit and vibe that made the VW Microbus such an iconic vehicle — whether with Hippies and families in the Sixties or Surfer Dudes and Van Lifers today.
      Now, Volkswagen has taken the bold decision to put the Volkswagen I.D. BUZZ concept car into production and Volkswagen’s CEO of the North American Region, Hinrich J. Woebcken is happy to welcome the car to North America.  The Chairmen of the Boards of Management of the Volkswagen and Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles brands, Dr Herbert Diess and Dr Eckhard Scholz, announced the decision today at one of the most prestigious automotive events in the world — the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance in California. 
      Within the framework of further development, Volkswagen has also set a launch date for the I.D. BUZZ. The vehicle will arrive at dealerships in 2022, after the compact four-door I.D. makes its debut. With the I.D. BUZZ, Volkswagen is mainly targeting markets in North America, Europe and China.
      "After the presentations at the global motor shows in Detroit and Geneva, we received a large number of letters and emails from customers who said, 'please build this car’,” Volkswagen CEO Dr Herbert Diess said in Pebble Beach. The Board of Management chose Pebble Beach as the location to make its announcement because, as Diess explained: "The Microbus has long been part of the California lifestyle. Now we're bringing it back by reinventing it as an electric vehicle."
      Just like the concept car that was shown in Detroit, the production model will also have its batteries mounted in the vehicle floor. Because the electric drive components — electric motor, power electronics, and such —don't take up much space, the vehicle has a long wheelbase with short overhangs, allowing for a massively spacious interior and great proportions. "The vehicle looks like a compact commercial van on the outside, even though it offers the generous interior space of a large SUV," Diess explained.
      CEO of the North American Region, Volkswagen, Hinrich J. Woebcken added: “We are delighted that our parent company has taken the decision to produce the I.D. BUZZ. This vehicle is the perfect balance between emotion, usability and sustainability, while also showcasing our technological leadership. The high seating position, cargo capacity, overall versatility and all-wheel drive option packaged into such an appealing design is just what our customers want from us. And it’s the perfect fit for the zero-emissions American lifestyle.”
      The I.D. BUZZ won’t just be a passenger vehicle. Just like the classic T2, the I.D. BUZZ will both haul people and haul freight. "Along with a minibus version, we'll also be offering an I.D. BUZZ CARGO variant for zero-emissions delivery of goods,” said Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles CEO Dr Eckhard Scholz. "With Level 3 autonomous capability, this is an ideal concept for an electric van, particularly for delivering packages and goods to the inner cities."
      Although Volkswagen's oldest and newest Microbuses will be separated by more than seven decades when the new model is launched, the I.D. BUZZ undoubtedly has the original's genes, as it offers maximum utilization of space on the footprint of a mid-size passenger car. Based on the new all-electric architecture, the production version of the I.D. BUZZ will incorporate many design ideas from the concept car, including multi-variable seating, interactive connectivity and highly automated driving.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Ever since the Volkswagen Buzz I.D. concept made its debut, rumors have been flying as to whether or not the German automaker would go forward with it. Yesterday at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, Volkswagen finally put the rumors to rest. 
      "After the presentations at the global motor shows in Detroit and Geneva, we received a large number of letters and emails from customers who said, 'please build this car’,” said Volkswagen CEO Herbert Diess.  
      "The Microbus has long been part of the California lifestyle. Now we're bringing it back by reinventing it as an electric vehicle."
      Before you start lining up at your Volkswagen dealer, the company says the model will not launch till 2022. Models such as the I.D. hatchback and I.D. Crozz will go on sale first.
      The production variant will be based on Volkswagen's upcoming MEB platform. Rear-wheel drive will be standard, while AWD will be an option. Volkswagen is also planning to offer the Buzz as both a passenger van and a cargo van.
      Source: Volkswagen
      Press Release is on Page 2

VOLKSWAGEN TAKES BOLD DECISION TO PUT I.D. BUZZ ELECTRIC CONCEPT CAR INTO PRODUCTION
      Volkswagen management announces production plans for the 21st century Microbus at the home of the Pebble Beach Concours D’Elegance Pebble Beach, California – At the Detroit Show in early 2017, Volkswagen showed the I.D. BUZZ concept car, a fully electric vehicle that taps in to the spirit and vibe that made the VW Microbus such an iconic vehicle — whether with Hippies and families in the Sixties or Surfer Dudes and Van Lifers today.
      Now, Volkswagen has taken the bold decision to put the Volkswagen I.D. BUZZ concept car into production and Volkswagen’s CEO of the North American Region, Hinrich J. Woebcken is happy to welcome the car to North America.  The Chairmen of the Boards of Management of the Volkswagen and Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles brands, Dr Herbert Diess and Dr Eckhard Scholz, announced the decision today at one of the most prestigious automotive events in the world — the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance in California. 
      Within the framework of further development, Volkswagen has also set a launch date for the I.D. BUZZ. The vehicle will arrive at dealerships in 2022, after the compact four-door I.D. makes its debut. With the I.D. BUZZ, Volkswagen is mainly targeting markets in North America, Europe and China.
      "After the presentations at the global motor shows in Detroit and Geneva, we received a large number of letters and emails from customers who said, 'please build this car’,” Volkswagen CEO Dr Herbert Diess said in Pebble Beach. The Board of Management chose Pebble Beach as the location to make its announcement because, as Diess explained: "The Microbus has long been part of the California lifestyle. Now we're bringing it back by reinventing it as an electric vehicle."
      Just like the concept car that was shown in Detroit, the production model will also have its batteries mounted in the vehicle floor. Because the electric drive components — electric motor, power electronics, and such —don't take up much space, the vehicle has a long wheelbase with short overhangs, allowing for a massively spacious interior and great proportions. "The vehicle looks like a compact commercial van on the outside, even though it offers the generous interior space of a large SUV," Diess explained.
      CEO of the North American Region, Volkswagen, Hinrich J. Woebcken added: “We are delighted that our parent company has taken the decision to produce the I.D. BUZZ. This vehicle is the perfect balance between emotion, usability and sustainability, while also showcasing our technological leadership. The high seating position, cargo capacity, overall versatility and all-wheel drive option packaged into such an appealing design is just what our customers want from us. And it’s the perfect fit for the zero-emissions American lifestyle.”
      The I.D. BUZZ won’t just be a passenger vehicle. Just like the classic T2, the I.D. BUZZ will both haul people and haul freight. "Along with a minibus version, we'll also be offering an I.D. BUZZ CARGO variant for zero-emissions delivery of goods,” said Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles CEO Dr Eckhard Scholz. "With Level 3 autonomous capability, this is an ideal concept for an electric van, particularly for delivering packages and goods to the inner cities."
      Although Volkswagen's oldest and newest Microbuses will be separated by more than seven decades when the new model is launched, the I.D. BUZZ undoubtedly has the original's genes, as it offers maximum utilization of space on the footprint of a mid-size passenger car. Based on the new all-electric architecture, the production version of the I.D. BUZZ will incorporate many design ideas from the concept car, including multi-variable seating, interactive connectivity and highly automated driving.
    • By William Maley
      Volkswagen has shown three different I.D. concepts - I.D. hatchback, I.D. Buzz, and the I.D. Crozz. We know that Volkswagen is working on making the hatchback production ready by 2020 and the Buzz has been given the green light. What about the Crozz? According to a report from Autoblog, the Crozz will follow the hatchback in production - arriving in either late 2020 or 2021 - and will be the first I.D. model to arrive on our shores.
      The I.D. Crozz which made its debut earlier this year at the Shanghai Motor Show is Volkswagen's vision of an electric crossover. Using Volkswagen's MEB platform, the I.D. Crozz produces 302 horsepower from two electric motors. On-demand all-wheel drive is done through single-speed, fixed-ratio gearboxes fitted between each electric motor and its respective axle.
      Volkswagen's decision on sending the I.D. Crozz to the U.S. first makes a lot of sense as buyers are crossover hungry.
      The two sources also dropped some information on the I.D. Buzz which conflicts with earlier reports. First, the sources said the Buzz been confirmed for production - the opposite of what reported back in June where Volkswagen's Herbert Diess slyly dropped that it would go into production. If approved, the model would likely go into production in 2025.
      We recommend checking out Autoblog's report as there are more details on what to possibly expect with the Crozz.
      Source: Autoblog

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Volkswagen has shown three different I.D. concepts - I.D. hatchback, I.D. Buzz, and the I.D. Crozz. We know that Volkswagen is working on making the hatchback production ready by 2020 and the Buzz has been given the green light. What about the Crozz? According to a report from Autoblog, the Crozz will follow the hatchback in production - arriving in either late 2020 or 2021 - and will be the first I.D. model to arrive on our shores.
      The I.D. Crozz which made its debut earlier this year at the Shanghai Motor Show is Volkswagen's vision of an electric crossover. Using Volkswagen's MEB platform, the I.D. Crozz produces 302 horsepower from two electric motors. On-demand all-wheel drive is done through single-speed, fixed-ratio gearboxes fitted between each electric motor and its respective axle.
      Volkswagen's decision on sending the I.D. Crozz to the U.S. first makes a lot of sense as buyers are crossover hungry.
      The two sources also dropped some information on the I.D. Buzz which conflicts with earlier reports. First, the sources said the Buzz been confirmed for production - the opposite of what reported back in June where Volkswagen's Herbert Diess slyly dropped that it would go into production. If approved, the model would likely go into production in 2025.
      We recommend checking out Autoblog's report as there are more details on what to possibly expect with the Crozz.
      Source: Autoblog
    • By William Maley
      The Volkswagen Jetta is an outlier in the compact class. Whereas other automakers have been stepping up with sharper designs, more tech, and improved driving dynamics, Volkswagen went in a completely different direction by offering the biggest amount of interior space for not that much money. But to accomplish this, Volkswagen made a number of sacrifices in terms of design, materials, and mechanical bits. This put the Jetta way behind the pack of the fresh competition. 
      But Volkswagen has been working to try and right some of the wrongs of the Jetta. A couple of years ago, Volkswagen updated the model with a new front end, new dashboard, and a turbocharged 1.4L four-cylinder to take place of the decrepit 2.0L. It salvages the Jetta’s reputation somewhat.
      The current Jetta is slightly better in terms of looks. A new front end with a larger grille and headlights with LED daytime running lights help make the model look more interesting to look at. Sadly, the rest of vehicle is as nondescript as before with nothing that jumps out at you. If you were to ask a small kid to draw a car, it would most likely look like the Jetta. If you ever wanted a master class of in how not to do an interior, the Jetta is a perfect candidate. Whereas most compact sedans show marked improvements in design and materials, the Jetta is like stepping back a decade or so. Our mid-level SE came with a large amount of cheap and hard plastics that you don’t see most compacts now - aside from the base models. The mostly black interior makes for a dreary experience. On the upside, Volkswagen has improved the dash by taking some ideas from the Golf. A new instrument cluster and revised center stack layout helps make the Jetta not feel as cheap as the previous model. It also makes for an easier time to find various controls and reading things at a quick glance. All Jettas get Volkswagen’s Car-Net infotainment system. The base S makes do with a 5-inch touchscreen, while the SE and higher trims use a 6.3-inch screen. Car-Net is one of the best infotainment systems on sale today thanks to a sharp interface, simple layout of the various functions, and the ability to use Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Space is the Jetta’s key selling point. The back seat alone dwarfs most compacts and even gives some midsize sedans a run for their money. Sitting back here, I could stretch out with no issue. The trunk is also huge, offering up 15.7 cubic feet. I do wish the front seats were a bit more comfortable. Most of the week found me constantly adjusting the seat to try and find a position that wouldn’t cause me to ache after a drive. The SE comes with a turbocharged 1.4L four-cylinder offering 150 horsepower and 184 pound-feet of torque. Our test vehicle came with the standard five-speed manual, but a six-speed automatic is available.  On paper, the 1.4T should be a strong engine as it offers the same torque figure as the larger 1.8T at a lower rpm (1,400 rpm vs. 1,500 rpm). In the real world, this doesn’t happen. You’ll need to get the engine above 2,000 rpm to wake it up. At first, I thought we were dealing with a bad case of turbo lag. But further investigation revealed the five-speed manual is at fault. Volkswagen used taller gearing to make up for a missing sixth gear and improve fuel economy. I can’t help but wonder if the six-speed automatic alleviates this issue. Once you figure this out, the 1.4T is a surprising performer. Speed comes on at a rapid rate once your above 2,000 rpm. The engine is also very smooth and makes a pleasant noise when accelerating. The manual is somewhat difficult to work as the gear linkage feels somewhat stiff when moving through the gears. The clutch is light and it’s easy to find the take-off point. EPA fuel economy figures for the 1.4T manual stand at 28 City/40 Highway/33 Combined. I saw an average of 35 mpg that was a mix of 70 percent city driving and 30 percent highway driving. The automatic sees a slight drop in fuel economy to 28/38/32. One item we’re glad to see the lesser Jetta models get is a multilink rear suspension - replacing the rear beam axle of previous models. This makes a huge difference in ride and handling. On rough roads, the Jetta provides a compliant and comfortable ride. Handling is almost similar to the Golf Wolfsburg I drove earlier in the year - little body roll and excellent steering response. The SE seen here came with an as-tested price of $21,795 with destination. That includes 16-inch alloy wheels, heated front seats, blind spot monitoring, keyless entry, push-button start, cruise control, and a power sunroof. The 2017 Volkswagen Jetta is much better than the model that was launched only five years ago. But that isn’t saying a lot considering how much the compact class has moved up in this time frame. Price may be the Jetta’s ultimate strength as it offers a lot of features for the money with the 1.4T engine and interior space running slightly behind. Everywhere else, the Jetta is outmatched. Disclaimer: Volkswagen Provided the Jetta, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2017
      Make: Volkswagen
      Model: Jetta
      Trim: SE
      Engine: Turbocharged 1.4L 16V TSI Four-Cylinder 
      Driveline: Six-Speed Manual, Front-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 150 @ 5,000 
      Torque @ RPM: 184 @ 1,400
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 28/40/33
      Curb Weight: 2,939 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Puebla, Mexico
      Base Price: $20,895
      As Tested Price: $21,715 (Includes $820.00 Destination Charge)
      Options: N/A
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)