Drew Dowdell

GM News: GM Recalling 4.3 Million Vehicles for Airbag Software Problem

7 posts in this topic

Drew Dowdell    4,987

General Motors today announced a recall of 4.3 million vehicles globally with 3.64 million of those vehicles located in the US.  The recall involves a software bug in the sensing and diagnostic module that could prevent the deployment of the front airbags in certain circumstances preceded by a specific series of events. Most of the vehicles involved are GM's recent trucks and large SUVs.

The repair for this recall requires a software update and no physical parts are required for most vehicles.

The following vehicles are affected by this recall:

2014 - 2016 Chevrolet SS, Spark EV  / Buick Lacrosse

2014 - 2017 Chevrolet Corvette, Trax, Caprice, and Silverado 1500 / Buick Encore / GMC Sierra 1500

2015 - 2017 Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban, Suburban HD / GMC Yukon, Yukon XL / Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV

GM stated that it was originally made aware of the problem in May 2016 via an internal Speak Up program that encourages employees to report potential safety issues in its vehicles.  GM received a report that a 2014 Silverado involved in a crash did not deploy its front airbags or seat-belt pretensioners. The investigation started on June 7th and GM spent the next several weeks working with Delphi, the supplier of the part, and investigating other possible incidents with similarities to the original report. 

Owners of the above vehicles can check their VIN in the NHTSA Database or on the GM Website.

Source: GM Media and Automotive News

View full article

dfelt    1,769

Glad to see GM is being proactive and supporting a program that encourages employees to report issues like this.

Paolino    99
On 9/9/2016 at 7:08 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

You don't even have that Lacrosse anymore...

I never had that LaCrosse... it affects 2014-16... I had a 2013... but I was saying "Uffa" because I want only positive from GM. ;)

Drew Dowdell    4,987
35 minutes ago, Paolino said:

I never had that LaCrosse... it affects 2014-16... I had a 2013... but I was saying "Uffa" because I want only positive from GM. ;)

This is just about as easy a recall as it gets.... the only easier recalls I've seen are when they have to put an extra sticker on the coolant reservoir to tell you not to drink the anti-freeze. 

Paolino    99
1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

This is just about as easy a recall as it gets.... the only easier recalls I've seen are when they have to put an extra sticker on the coolant reservoir to tell you not to drink the anti-freeze. 

Yes, but the rest of the world thinks of this as a much larger recall.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      General Motors has been seeing sales of their passenger cars take a sharp drop as buyers latch on to crossovers, SUVs, and trucks. The first half of 2017 has seen GM's passenger car sales drop 19 percent. In June, passenger cars went into freefall with a 36 percent drop. This has General Motors making some drastic decisions in terms of products and production sites.
      "We are talking to (GM) right now about the products that they currently have" at underused car plants such as Hamtramck in Michigan and Lordstown in Ohio, and whether they might be replaced with newer, more popular vehicles such as crossovers, said Dennis Williams, president of the UAW.
      According to sources, GM is considering dropping six models after 2020. The models include,
      Buick LaCrosse Cadillac CT6  (See Update Below) Cadillac XTS Chevrolet Impala Chevrolet Sonic Chevrolet Volt Four of the vehicles listed (LaCrosse, CT6, Impala, and Volt) are built GM’s Hamtramck plant in Detroit. According to suppliers, Hamtramack's production output for the first half of 2017 is less than 35,000 vehicles, down 32 percent when compared to the same time last year. Other GM plants are able to produce 200,000 - 300,000 vehicles in a year, putting Hamtramck in a dangerous spot.
      GM must "create some innovative new products" to replace slow-selling sedans "or start closing plants," said Sam Fiorani, vice president of AutoForecast Solutions.
      A possibility of a new product is replacing the Volt with some sort of utility vehicle boasting a plug-in hybrid powertrain according to sources.
      Source: Reuters
      UPDATE: “There is absolutely, if I could speak all capitals now, they’d be coming out of my mouth. There is absolutely no plan, at all, to cancel the CT6,” said Cadillac president Johan de Nysschen to Jalopnik when asked about this report from Reuters.
      “That report came as a surprise to me, too.”
      de Nysschen said the brand is planning to invest more into the CT6 in the coming years as it will play an important role in the coming years.
      “The [CT6] forms a very important part of our product strategy going forward for the brand,” de Nysschen said. “The car also has a very major contribution to make to the shaping of brand perceptions, and the transformational process that Cadillac is undergoing as far as that is concerned.”
      Source: Jalopnik
    • By William Maley
      General Motors has been seeing sales of their passenger cars take a sharp drop as buyers latch on to crossovers, SUVs, and trucks. The first half of 2017 has seen GM's passenger car sales drop 19 percent. In June, passenger cars went into freefall with a 36 percent drop. This has General Motors making some drastic decisions in terms of products and production sites.
      "We are talking to (GM) right now about the products that they currently have" at underused car plants such as Hamtramck in Michigan and Lordstown in Ohio, and whether they might be replaced with newer, more popular vehicles such as crossovers, said Dennis Williams, president of the UAW.
      According to sources, GM is considering dropping six models after 2020. The models include,
      Buick LaCrosse Cadillac CT6  (See Update Below) Cadillac XTS Chevrolet Impala Chevrolet Sonic Chevrolet Volt Four of the vehicles listed (LaCrosse, CT6, Impala, and Volt) are built GM’s Hamtramck plant in Detroit. According to suppliers, Hamtramack's production output for the first half of 2017 is less than 35,000 vehicles, down 32 percent when compared to the same time last year. Other GM plants are able to produce 200,000 - 300,000 vehicles in a year, putting Hamtramck in a dangerous spot.
      GM must "create some innovative new products" to replace slow-selling sedans "or start closing plants," said Sam Fiorani, vice president of AutoForecast Solutions.
      A possibility of a new product is replacing the Volt with some sort of utility vehicle boasting a plug-in hybrid powertrain according to sources.
      Source: Reuters
      UPDATE: “There is absolutely, if I could speak all capitals now, they’d be coming out of my mouth. There is absolutely no plan, at all, to cancel the CT6,” said Cadillac president Johan de Nysschen to Jalopnik when asked about this report from Reuters.
      “That report came as a surprise to me, too.”
      de Nysschen said the brand is planning to invest more into the CT6 in the coming years as it will play an important role in the coming years.
      “The [CT6] forms a very important part of our product strategy going forward for the brand,” de Nysschen said. “The car also has a very major contribution to make to the shaping of brand perceptions, and the transformational process that Cadillac is undergoing as far as that is concerned.”
      Source: Jalopnik

View full article
    • By A Horse With No Name

Very impressive....

Not quite as fast as this Camaro though...
      Very impressive Drag week performance, this has been driven on the street...

251 in the quarter and done with GM power...awesome!

• By dfelt
      GM Yields Sales Crown to FORD, or Did They?

Motley Fool Report
      Interesting read, Ford won the month of May due to dumping a ton of auto's on the rental fleet market. GM had higher ATP than Ford, taking out rental sales, GM was the leader in North America. Some interesting takes on inventory on hand and how each company is dealing with the slow down. Read and sound off
    • By William Maley
      If you thought the pain and suffering against diesel would end anytime soon, think again. 
      Today in Federal Court in Detroit, a class-action lawsuit was filed against General Motors by 705,000 owners of the 2011 to 2016 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra HDs equipped with the Duramax V8 diesel claiming the engine has illegal software to skirt emission tests. The 190-page suit says GM equipped the Duramax V8 with various software programs to pass regulatory emission tests, while spewing two to five times the legal limit when driven under regular conditions. Bloomberg notes the suit has 83 references to Volkswagen and alleges environmental damage caused by these trucks could surpass Volkswagen.
      “GM claimed its engineers had accomplished a remarkable reduction of diesel emissions,” said Steve Berman, a managing partner at Hagens Berman.
      “These GM trucks likely dumped as much excess poisonous emissions into our air as did the cheating Volkswagen passenger cars.”
      It should be noted that Berman has also represented drivers and dealerships against Volkswagen and Fiat Chrysler Automobile for their diesel issues.
      "These claims are baseless and we will vigorously defend ourselves.  The Duramax Diesel Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra comply with all U.S. EPA and CARB emissions regulations," General Motors said in a statement today.
      For those keeping score, this is the sixth automaker either being sued or under investigation for claims of cheating emission tests. Aside from Volkswagen and FCA, Diamler is currently under investigation in Germany for possible fraud charges relating to possible manipulation of emissions. In France, both PSA Group and Renault face their own investigation.
      Source: Bloomberg
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)