Oldsmobile Firsts

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive...html?page=2&c=y

SOME OLDSMOBILE FIRSTS

Aug. 21, 1897: Ransom Eli Olds of Lansing, Mich., establishes the Olds Motor Vehicle Co.
1904: The Curved Dash Olds becomes the first mass-produced vehicle in America. Olds Motor Works is the first American car company to export, to 18 countries.
1926: Oldsmobile introduces chrome-plated trim.
1940: The Series 60 Sedan could be ordered with a Hydra-matic, the first fully automatic transmission offered on a volume basis.
1949: The Rocket-88 comes with the first high-compression V8 engine.
1959: Lee Petty wins the first Daytona 500 in an Oldsmobile.
1966: The Toronado is the first mass-produced front-wheel-drive American car.
1970: The 4-4-2 becomes one of the hottest musclecars of the era. Its 455-cu.-in. V8 produces 365 hp and 500 ft.-lb. of torque. The 4-4-2 designation stands for four-barrel carburetor, four-speed transmission and dual exhaust.
1974: The Toronado is the first American car to offer a driver-side airbag.
1987: The Aerotech, powered by a modified Oldsmobile Quad 4 engine, sets a land speed record of 257 mph.
1995: The world-class flagship Aurora marks the beginning of Oldsmobile's new direction in styling as an import fighter.
1997: Oldsmobile is the first American car company to turn 100. Hence, POPULAR MECHANICS bestows its honored marque award.
2000: The beginning of the end for Oldsmobile.

Another facinating first for Olds was this:

'Due to a 1901 fire at the factory, the curved dash was Oldsmobile's only model for 1902. Out of desperation, this caused R. E. Olds to create the supplier/subcontractor system which remains in use today.'

for more: http://encyclopedia.classicoldsmobile.com/curveddash.html

Olds Gasoline Engine Works organized 1890.
Olds Motor Vehicle Company organized 1897.
Olds Motor Works incorporated 05-08-1899 via the absorption/merger of the above 2 companies.
General Motors bought Olds 11-12-1908.

You know- I wonder about that 1926 chrome claim. I wonder if there's some sort of qualifier to it, but I have not researched that one.

i really think GM could bring them back just as a Limited production vechicle like shut down the monte carlo plant for a month and build olds. they should make a FWD Coupe a Rwd Sedan and a kappa roadster make 8,000 of each a year and be done with it sell it though the internet to like just tell GM.com what dealer you want it at and you make your transaction their. it would prolly make money to.

Also Olds Customers dont go to other brands. my uncle but his first olds in 70 and has not bought different since except his wife (my aunt) bought a 50th vette and Envoy. (its nice to be rich i wish i were.) any way when they shut the doors he bougt the van and an alero One sits and collects moth balls while the other is driven furiously( the van if you were wondering). Think of all the customers they would get back Or have like Olds Eddition cars like the Aura OLds Edition have fancy Intior and a beffed up engine and stuff like that KEEP THE NAME ALIVE!!

• 5 weeks later...
From what I had heard in the past - the Aura was supposed to be the Alero replacement... At this point I would rather see Olds ride off into the sunset and not have a 2nd failed attempt at life - I sure would like to see what they had in mind for the next gen Aurora and what the Olds version of the Aura was going to be