William Maley

Industry News: Uber Is Ordered To Halt Self-Driving Program In San Fransisco

There is a right way and a wrong way when it comes to testing autonomous vehicles on public roads. Uber has demonstrated the wrong way.

Yesterday, the company launched eleven driverless Volvo XC90s in San Fransisco as part of a pilot program. But by late morning, two of the eleven vehicles were running amok. The San Fransisco Examiner got their hands on a dash cam video showing one of the XC90s running a red light at 10:37 A.M. Later that morning, a freelance producer and writer tweeted “Just passed a ‘self-driving’ Uber that lurched into the intersection on Van Ness [Avenue], on a red, nearly hitting my Lyft.”

“It was close enough that both myself and the driver reacted and were like, ‘Shit. It stopped suddenly and stayed like that, as you see in the photo,” said Annie Gaus to the Examiner.

Because of these incidents, the California Department of Motor Vehicles ordered Uber to halt the program.

In a statement obtained by The Truth About Cars, Uber said the incident on video was due to human error and not the technology. 

“This incident was due to human error. This is why we believe so much in making the roads safer by building self-driving Ubers. This vehicle was not part of the pilot and was not carrying customers. The driver involved has been suspended while we continue to investigate.”

Not the most reassuring statement considering said vehicle looks like one from the pilot program. At the moment, Uber has drivers in the self-driving vehicles to control them in case of an issue.

But there is a bigger problem at hand. Uber did not have the permit to legally have their autonomous vehicles on the road. A press release on Uber's Newsroom announcing the program said they didn't need one. Here are the paragraphs in question,

"Finally, we understand that there is a debate over whether or not we need a testing permit to launch self-driving Ubers in San Francisco. We have looked at this issue carefully and we don’t believe we do. Before you think, “there they go again” let us take a moment to explain:

First, we are not planning to operate any differently than in Pittsburgh, where our pilot has been running successfully for several months. Second, the rules apply to cars that can drive without someone controlling or monitoring them. For us, it’s still early days and our cars are not yet ready to drive without a person monitoring them."

Unsurprisingly, the California DMV is not happy with Uber and threaten legal action if Uber did not halt the program and obtain the permit.

“If Uber does not confirm immediately that it will stop its launch and seek a testing permit, the DMV will initiate legal action,” wrote DMV attorney Brian Soublet in a letter sent  Anthony Levandowski, who heads Uber’s autonomous car program.

This isn't the first time Uber's autonomous program has found itself in hot water. Back in September, Quartz reported on the issues Uber was having with their autonomous program in Pittsburgh from a vehicle going the wrong way down a one-way street to a minor accident.

Source: San Francisco Examiner , (2), The Truth About Cars , Quartz, Uber Newsroom
Pic Credit: Uber

View full article

:puke: Right prove that was not self driving based on the stuff on top of the auto. They are clearly just trying to flaunt laws.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Waymo is expanding its partnership with automakers. On the eve of the New York Auto Show, the company announced a new partnership with Jaguar Land Rover that will include rolling out a fleet of more than 20,000 self-driving, fully electric I-Pace SUVs over the course of the next two years. Waymo CEO John Krafcik describes the new addition to their fleet as being the "world’s first premium, electric, self-driving car."
      The I-Paces will be part of Waymo's upcoming self-driving transportation service that will launch later this year in Arizona with the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid. Prototypes of the I-Pace with Waymo tech will launch towards the end of year. Waymo is planning on having a broader spectrum of vehicles in its autonomous fleet from small cars to semi trucks.
      "With the Jaguar I-PACE we have a world-beating car that’s captured the imagination of customers around the world. Our passion for further advancing smart mobility needs expert long-term partners. In joining forces with Waymo we are pioneering to push the boundaries of technology. Together we will deliver the self-driving Waymo Jaguar I-PACE with the grace, space and eco-pace that customers expect," said Jaguar Land Rover CEO Ralf Speth.
      This announcement comes at a very awkward time for self-driving cars. Last week, a pedestrian was killed in a collision with an Uber self-driving vehicle in Arizona. Since then, a number of companies have suspended testing on public roads. Arizona has also has suspended Uber from conducting self-driving tests in the state.
      Source: Jaguar Land Rover 
      Press Release is on Page 2

WAYMO AND JAGUAR LAND ROVER ANNOUNCE LONG-TERM PARTNERSHIP, BEGINNING WITH SELF-DRIVING JAGUAR I-PACE
      Jaguar Land Rover and Waymo today announce a long-term strategic partnership. Together, the two companies will develop the world’s first premium self-driving electric vehicle for Waymo’s driverless transportation service.
      Jaguar I-PACE will be the first premium self-driving electric vehicle in Waymo’s fleet First Waymo self-driving I-PACE will start tests in 2018, and become part of Waymo’s driverless fleet from 2020 Up to 20,000 vehicles to join Waymo’s fleet in the first two years of production Jaguar Land Rover and Waymo to explore other future collaborations Jaguar Land Rover and Waymo today announce a long-term strategic partnership. Together, the two companies will develop the world’s first premium self-driving electric vehicle for Waymo’s driverless transportation service.
      Jaguar Land Rover and Waymo (formerly Google self-driving car project) will work together to design and engineer self-driving Jaguar I-PACE vehicles. This long-term strategic collaboration will further Waymo and Jaguar Land Rover’s shared goals: to make cars safer, free up people’s valuable time and improve mobility for everyone.
      Waymo Jaguar I-PACEs, equipped with Waymo's self-driving technology, will start testing later this year. On-road testing and capturing real-world data will allow Waymo and Jaguar Land Rover engineers to refine technology and deliver optimum safety and reliability. Up to 20,000 I-PACEs will be built in the first two years of production and be available for riders of Waymo’s driverless service, serving a potential one million trips per day.
      The Jaguar I-PACE was launched earlier this month and is the company’s first full-electric SUV. It is all-new from the ground up and is a no compromise, desirable and practical electric performance car. Jaguar Land Rover is committed to investing heavily, becoming automotive leaders in autonomous, connected and future electrified technologies. 
      To date, Waymo is the only company with a fleet of fully self-driving cars — with no one in the front seat — on public roads. Later this year Waymo will launch the world’s first self-driving transportation service allowing members of the public to use Waymo’s app to request a vehicle.
      "With the Jaguar I-PACE we have a world-beating car that’s captured the imagination of customers around the world. Our passion for further advancing smart mobility needs expert long-term partners. In joining forces with Waymo we are pioneering to push the boundaries of technology. Together we will deliver the self-driving Waymo Jaguar I-PACE with the grace, space and eco-pace that customers expect."
      PROF. DR. RALF SPETH
      JAGUAR LAND ROVER CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
      "While we've been focused at Waymo on building the world's most experienced driver, the team at Jaguar Land Rover has developed an all-new battery-electric platform that looks to set a new standard in safety, design and capability. We're sure Waymo riders will enjoy the safe, premium and delightful experience that the self-driving I-PACE will provide."
      JOHN KRAFCIK
      WAYMO CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Earlier this year, we reported that Ford would be investing $700 million into their Flat Rock, MI plant for two new models - an electric crossover in 2020 and an autonomous vehicle following a year later. Those plans have changed as Ford will move production of the electric crossover to Cuautitlan, Mexico.
      This information comes from an internal Ford memo obtained by Automotive News last night. Flat Rock will become an “AV center of excellence”. AV, in this case, being autonomous vehicles.
      “This allows us to bring this exciting new vehicle to global customers in a more effective way to support our overreaching business goals,” the memo says.
      Ford spokesman Alan Hall confirmed the move to both Automotive News and The Detroit News last night. Hall said the company sees "a bigger opportunity" for their upcoming autonomous vehicle. Ford will be investing an additional $200 million to Flat Rock over the next few years in addition to the already announced $700 million.
      Part of the reason for Ford moving the production of the electric crossover down to Mexico is lower production costs, allowing the company to make a little more profit. Electric vehicles have low-margins when it comes to making money.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), The Detroit News

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Volvo an Uber announced a deal where Uber will purchase 24,000 Volvo XC90 Plug-In Hybrid SUVs over 3 years to expand Uber's self-driving fleet. Uber has been testing self-driving vehicles in Pittsburgh since Autumn 2016 with human supervision in the driver seat.  Over 100 such vehicles are currently in operation in the city.
      The deal marks the largest single order of vehicles for Geely owned Volvo. While no financial details were disclosed, the minimum retail price for an XC90 T8 Hybrid is $64,950. Volvo expects the profit margin per vehicle to be on par with traditional sales through a dealership network.
      Uber chose the XC90 because much of the hardware to add autonomous capabilities is already built into the car.  Geely/Volvo engineers have been working closely with Uber to ensure that compatibility going forward.
      With a major shift in buying and driving habits coming in the future, Volvo is placing its chips on partnering with Uber to remain relevant in an industry ripe for disruption.
      Photo: Uber

View full article
    • By William Maley
      A self-driving shuttle service got off to an auspicious start yesterday in Las Vegas when it was involved in an accident with a delivery truck.
      According to NBC affiliate KSNV, the accident took place during the shuttle's first hour of service when a delivery truck back into the shuttle. According to an AAA representative on Twitter, the driver was cited by Las Vegas Metro Police.
      "The autonomous shuttle was testing today when it was grazed by a delivery truck downtown. The shuttle did what it was supposed to do, in that it’s sensors registered the truck and the shuttle stopped to avoid the accident. Unfortunately, the delivery truck did not stop and grazed the front fender of the shuttle. Had the truck had the same sensing equipment that the shuttle has the accident would have been avoided," a representative of the City of Las Vegas said in a statement.
      The shuttle in question comes from Navya, a French company that specializes in self-driving technology. It features lidar, radar, and video cameras around the vehicle and is powered by an electric motor. The shuttle is part of a year-long study by Navya, AAA, shuttle operator Keolis North America, City of Las Vegas, and the Regional Transportation Commission of Southern Nevada to see how the shuttle fares on public roads and whether or not riders are accepting of it.
      Source: KSNV, Car and Driver,  (2)
      Pic Credit: KSNV

View full article
  • My Clubs