My Ideal GM

My Ideal GM

by Justin Brock

The following hopes, wishes, assumptions are all based upon information and speculation from some of C&Gs insider sources, as well as my own hopes for the future of General Motors. This is purely speculative and is almost entirely my opinion.

From what has been told from sources here at this site, Croc and evok, there are no plans currently for a future G6. What this can possibly mean is that GM may be moving Pontiac away from directly competing with the Japanese Big 3. I'm hoping that it may possibly mean a future Pontiac division riding entirely on RWD architectures, though thats purely speculative and maybe a bit too hopeful on my part, and also about half-a-decade away.

First you have Chevrolet. What GM SEEMS to be doing, with its Malibu and Aura plans, is the Malibu takes on lower-to-mid trim level Camrys, Accords, and Altimas, and then Aura picks up from there to take on the upper-level V6 Camry, Accords, and Altimas. The reason Saturn is needed is because, while there are people willing to pay $30+ for a loaded Camry, I don't think they'd be so willing to do the same with a Malibu, even one that may outclass the competition. This is all my opinion, btw, I have nothing to back it up.

Of course Chevrolet will fill in the rest of GMs large volume vehicles. All of its vehicles, with the exception of the Corvette and future Camaro, are aimed towards mass volume sales.

Then you have the Pontiac-Buick-GMC consolidation. Its my opinion and hope that the three divisions will move toward a near-lux and luxury lineup, competitive with Lexus (Buick, GMC with trucks/SUVs) and Acura (Pontiac). Pontiac will move to small and mid-size RWD vehicles.

-Solstice, both ragtop and coupe

-some RWD midsize sedan and hatch/wagon

-entry-level sporty RWD/AWD 5-passenger SUV

-and some mid-size RWD coupe, ala GTO or something.

From there, Buick picks up with:

-A small RWD car (IS competitor)

-A mid-size FWD car (ES competitor)

-And A full-size RWD/AWD (GS, LS competitors)

-A Velite-type vehicle (SC competitor)

-And A the Enclave (RX/MDX competitor).

GMC will basically be premium Chevrolet trucks and SUVs, like its always been. The Yukon competing well with the GX, leaving the LX to the Escalade. The Sierra is there for suburban cowboys. The only odd-duck, IMO, is the Acadia, which I don't see the need for with the Outlook and Enclave being able to cover all mid-size, 7-passenger SUV bases.

Then you have Cadillac, which should hopefully become more competitive in the premium sport-luxury market, dominated by BMW and Mercedes. I don't think Cadillac should aim for Lexus sales numbers, but become happy with outselling Bimmers and Mercs, leaving high-sales volume to Buick, which is a better Lexus competitor IMO.

Saab and Hummer are there for niche sales and profit-mongering. IMO, GM could lose both divisions and never bat an eye.

Thoughts, opinions, criticism? Your own ideal General?

Edited by bowtie_dude

Meh. Not necessarily a poorly written article, but you have to understand that nobody cares what you think.

That's not a slant at you, it's just true of all journalism. Try to write with a more all-encompassing theme next time.

Croc is not an insider, not trying to be a d1ck but he's not.

Neither am I, although I'd love to be.

There's a few REAL insiders on this site but I'm not going

to name names.... For those of you who have been around

for a year or more you'll know who they are. They were

the ones who did NOT call me a naive, retro obsessed GM

lunatic for my rants about how GM will come out with a

Camaro concept with styling that pays tribute to the 67-69

(1st gen.).

The insiders were the ones who told us to keep the faith. :wink:

I'm hoping that it may possibly mean a future Pontiac division riding entirely on RWD architectures...

In a perfect* world this would have happened in the early 1990s.

* forget perfect, how about "less fu$%ed up"

i read an interview recently with laneve, it was about a year old but new to me...anyway he was asked about pontiac and buick and basically said he wants them to each be focussed and unique. he compared them to how porsche only has a few core models but you know exactly what they stand for.

he talked bout removing certain cars and aspects but having them join forces, so to speak while maintaing an identity that can not be confused.

it was from 5/05 and it seems to be closer to playing itself out now how he envisioned.

from the time article this week saying how gm is borrowing from toyotas playbook by utilizing global platforms and resources while maintaining a central command.

things are beginning to make a little more sense as these developments unfold.

if the new product continues in the spirit of the solstice and reinvigoration of buick with the enclace or the resurrection of the camaro, things wont seem quite as bleak as they have been lately or at least since before someone started to give a damn again around there.

Croc is not an insider, not trying to be a d1ck but he's not.

Neither am I, although I'd love to be.

There's a few REAL insiders on this site but I'm not going

to name names.... For those of you who have been around

for a year or more you'll know who they are. They were

the ones who did NOT call me a naive, retro obsessed GM

lunatic for my rants about how GM will come out with a

Camaro concept with styling that pays tribute to the 67-69

(1st gen.).

The insiders were the ones who told us to keep the faith. :wink:

In a perfect* world this would have happened in the early 1990s.

* forget perfect, how about "less fu$%ed up"

Good things come to those who wait :yes:

GM is a little too conservative, which is good and bad,

75 years and still the world' largest producer....

Nobody at GM is giving up, beeeeotch.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get it-this is a forum-we're all allowed to have our own opinions and we should be free to express them, and not everyone has to care about what we have to say, but saying no one cares is just plain rude. I think there's some great ideas here Bowtie Dude!

An ideal GM... that was the question posed & I think it's a fun one.

So...

1st... GM would be narrowed down to three - maybe four divisions.

Luxury division (caddy, I suppose)

a middle class 'catch all' division (Chevy, of course)

an entry level 'youth' division (Pontiac or Saturn?)

possibly a 4th division for commercial, trucking, & fleet interests. (GMC)

I don't really care which ones would stay & which ones would go, but the idea that the same outdated minivan is sold as a Buick, Pontiac, Chevy, and Saturn is just stupid.

There is no reason for Pontiac to exist, for example, if everything in their line-up can be had over at another dealership. GM is getting better at this, but still has a long way to go.

2nd... GM would attempt to focus more on cars (and the technology that goes with them) than trucks. I personally think the E85 is a dead issue (as soon as folks realize they'll lose 20-30% in fuel economy with it, it's toast.) They'd focus on things that'll make a difference quickly, like diesel cars & mini-vans, hybrids & possibly hybrid diesels.

3rd... the UAW would vanish.

4th... and probably most importantly, they'd do everything in their power to improve reliability. That means topping the JD Power VDS AND having 'recommended' over pictures of their cars in Consumer Reports!

These opinions are worth exactly what you paid for them. :toiler:

My Ideal GM

Of course Chevrolet will fill in the rest of GMs large volume vehicles.  All of its vehicles, with the exception of the Corvette and future Camaro, are aimed towards mass volume sales.

But the V8 RWD Impala/Caprice will be niche vehicles remember. :rolleyes: :AH-HA_wink:

-Solstice, both ragtop and coupe

-some RWD midsize sedan and hatch/wagon

-entry-level sporty RWD/AWD 5-passenger SUV

-and some mid-size RWD coupe, ala GTO or something.

Okay... I'm with you on that but why not a 740iL sized Bonneville?

-A small RWD car (IS competitor)

-A mid-size FWD car (ES competitor)

-And A full-size RWD/AWD (GS, LS competitors)

-A Velite-type vehicle (SC competitor)

-And A the Enclave (RX/MDX competitor).

Okay.... good one FWD sedan for those so inclined but

also a LS/M45 & an IS competitor: YES!

Then you have Cadillac, which should hopefully become more competitive in the premium sport-luxury market, dominated by BMW and Mercedes...

S I X T E E N

Saab and Hummer are there for niche sales and profit-mongering.  IMO, GM could lose both divisions and never bat an eye.

Keep Hummer for now... sell SAAB take the money & run!

Hey there, we noticed you're using an ad-blocker. We're a small site that is supported by ads or subscriptions. We rely on these to pay for server costs and vehicle reviews.  Please consider whitelisting us in your ad-blocker, or if you really like what you see, you can pick up one of our subscriptions for just $1.75 a month or $15 a year. It may not seem like a lot, but it goes a long way to help support real, honest content, that isn't generated by an AI bot.

See you out there.

Drew
Editor-in-Chief

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search

Change privacy settings