Drew Dowdell

GMC News: GMC Introduces the 2020 Sierra Heavy Duty

6 hours ago, smk4565 said:

It looks better than the Silverado, but GM styling has been coming up with a lot of misses lately.  Silverado doesn't look good, XT6 is pretty forgettable.

I am not a truck person at all, but I think Ford and Ram have better trucks than GM right now, and probably 10-15 years ago I would have said GM has the best trucks.

Visually better yes...but especially the GMC still look fine. Your GM hate is more pathetic than my Ford hate...and that is both sad and impressive at the same time.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, dfelt said:

That is Forgettable along with the hard to tell apart style of S-Class to A-Class.

It's funny you try and single Mercedes out as if Audi, BMW, Jag, Lexus, Acura, and Cadillac don't all use the same formula for their family of vehicles.

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

It's funny you try and single Mercedes out as if Audi, BMW, Jag, Lexus, Acura, and Cadillac don't all use the same formula for their family of vehicles.

Just pointing out SMK continuous MB Best Luxury Brand ever with their style, quality, blah blah blah blah and how most cannot tell it apart. 

You are correct that pretty much all Auto companies have moved to a single consistent design that grows stale over time. MB, BMW and Audi I would say take the cake for some of the oldest looking new auto's out there. :P 

47 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Nah, all of the modern LED lighting makes none of them look old to me. 

I get the eyebrow LED thing but the over all cars especially still look like circa 1990's to me and having 1 or 2 or 3 rows of LED lights to tell them apart really is not enough to tell the difference at a quick glance.

Now FORD and GM with their Trucks have made some clear differences and built some easy to see day time running lights with the LEDs. Fords are so bright in some cases I have wondered if they have high beams on.

I do like the way GMC has done it better than Ford.

See the source image

See the source image

30 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I get the eyebrow LED thing but the over all cars especially still look like circa 1990's

That's just ignorant talk trying to downplay a company. 

97 S Class.jpeg

18 S Class.jpg

6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

97 S Class.jpeg

18 S Class.jpg

I will agree to disagree as you can clearly still see a strong resemblance that dates the look of the auto. Pretty much every Auto company is guilty of this too, some just truly change things up more often than others. It also can be a more conservative approach due to a more liberal one.

dude... spinach... you're welcome

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, ccap41 said:

97 S Class.jpeg

18 S Class.jpg

Mercedes has evolutionary styling, nothing wrong with that.  Nothing is the same between the 90s and current model, but certain styling cues are still present.  I like evolutionary styling...Audi, BMW, MB and Porsche usually do it quite well..

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Blake Noble said:

Does a handkerchief come standard in the glovebox with these trucks? A roll of paper towels, at least? Because this truck is gonna drool more than a St. Bernard if it insists on angrily gritting its teeth like that.

AF288443-466F-4182-AC35-A676FD57EE71.jpeg

It is what they call the Rapper Grill! :P 

On 1/25/2019 at 6:42 PM, Robert Hall said:

Mercedes has evolutionary styling, nothing wrong with that.  Nothing is the same between the 90s and current model, but certain styling cues are still present.  I like evolutionary styling...Audi, BMW, MB and Porsche usually do it quite well..

Exactly. I don't see how any non-fanboy could possibly say " especially still look like circa 1990's" to the 2018's. 

14 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Exactly. I don't see how any non-fanboy could possibly say " especially still look like circa 1990's" to the 2018's. 

LOL, it is ok to call me on it, but I still say today's MB cars look 1990's dated. I saw a red MB 4 door car, who knows what model CLA, C-Class or S-Class and it just looked old even though it had a new paper license tag on the rear window. To me it looked dated already even though it seemed new. But that is my opinion on MB cars.

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

And everybody is entitled to their wrong opinions.

I am quite stubborn in mine...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

And everybody is entitled to their wrong opinions.

How wrong can it be when I am right! If you did not know this was a 2019, this generic jelly bean shape blends in with all the other Jelly bean cars of the 90's.

image.png

8 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Not a single thing about that says 1990's. 

The 90's didn't know what a wind tunnel was and it shows.

It is what your exposed to and all I ever saw was jelly bean cars in the 90's.

9 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

So all trucks must look the same, too. They are all shaped nearly identical to 90's trucks. 

Yup pretty much bricks on wheels, Rivian does change the look as does Atlis.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Not a single thing about that says 1990's. 

The 90's didn't know what a wind tunnel was and it shows.

Yes they did.

1996_ford_taurus_gl-pic-8082051385663687097-640x480.jpeg

The GM W-Body coupes that came out in 1987/88 were some of the most aerodynamic you could buy at the time.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Yup pretty much bricks on wheels, Rivian does change the look as does Atlis.

No they don't. They still have the same 4 door cab with a 5-6ft bed, like every other truck.

By your logic, they look like 90's trucks. 

43 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Yes they did.

Let's take a hard look at the other 95% of cars/trucks/SUVs on the market... 

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Let's take a hard look at the other 95% of cars/trucks/SUVs on the market... 

You know, I already anticipated that....

One of the slipperiest cars of its day, the 1988 Buick Regal Coupe.

autowp.ru_buick_regal_coupe_7.jpg

Another famously sleek car, the 1993 Dodge Intrepid.

96103421990205.jpg

Then there is the 1994 Oldsmobile Aurora... a personal favorite. 

OLDSMOBILE-Aurora-3487_5.jpg

You might be thinking of the early 80s, but the 90s were almost comically into jellybean aero style.

• Thanks 1

I'm going to temper what Dave is saying, because I agree with this portion of it.
Automotive design as judged by 'forward progress' has unquestionably slowed to a crawl PLUS it's become greatly homogenized. Look above at the front door of the mercedes and the front door of the Taurus- no appreciable difference in execution or appearance. While I would not say the mercedes looks 25 years old, one could certainly make a case it fits perfectly well in the world of 15 years ago.

Car design used to make a Major Step Forward every 10 years, whereas a --say-- 1975 car would never be confused in the dark with a car built in 1985. Those days are long gone, as we are deep in the 95th percentile of the design timeline. Some of the last 'steps' for a given component happened a LONG time ago. IE; molded headlights was 1984.
- - - - -
Give the Aurora above larger wheels/tires and bob/raise the tail, and it'd fit right in in 2020.

Edited by balthazar
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

You know, I already anticipated that....

One of the slipperiest cars of its day, the 1988 Buick Regal Coupe.

autowp.ru_buick_regal_coupe_7.jpg

Another famously sleek car, the 1993 Dodge Intrepid.

96103421990205.jpg

Then there is the 1994 Oldsmobile Aurora... a personal favorite. 

OLDSMOBILE-Aurora-3487_5.jpg

You might be thinking of the early 80s, but the 90s were almost comically into jellybean aero style.

Buick of that era ironically putting down a very fast quarter mile time....on video in the Random Thoughts thread.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook