Any Special Impala packages back in the day?

Looking to get info and especially PICS of old school impalas (60's-70's) that were considered the top of the line of their day. Were there any special packages back then for Impalas? Like higher HP engines, graphics packages, etc... like the Yenko cars or SS cars of that time period? Something that made them stand uot amongst the average Joe Impalas? Thanks!

I am not awqare of any aftermarket 'tuner' packages for Impalas (such as Yenko, Baldwin-Motion, Nicky, etc).

However, Chevrolet themselves offered factory race cars in the early '60s (Z-11) and the SS-427 option in the late '60s, but these really didn't have much of anything in the way of appearance items. The Z-11 looks showrom stock and about all the SS-427 got was a cool hood design and subtle emblems.

With the performance-optioned Impala, it wasn't so much about the 'show' as it was about the 'go':

Posted Image

Thanks Balthazar and PrizePig! I was sitting here thinking if I was to purchase a new Impala, was anything in it's heritage(mostly from a aesthetic standpoint) that could be done to pay homage back to those days and make a new Impala stand out a bit. Doesn't sound like it though, aside from Impala emblems from that time frame...

There were other clandestine ones that never made it out

the Chevy design studios' doors but I think the Z11 was

the most famous and relevant one.

I have seen pictures of a dealer prepped 1968 Biscayne 2 door with a 427/4 speed. I don't know if it was Yenko, maybe it was Nickey in Chicago.

For the kids, "Biscayne" was the base base full sized Chevy [they weren't all called Impala], below BelAir. Offered until 1972.

Didn't the Z11 Impalas have aluminum fenders?

Yes, a lot of weight savings but also, more importantly

an under rated big block that made over 500

horsepower. The Mopar boys employed not only

aluminum feders/doors/bumpers but also acid dipping

of the unibody which ate away the metal and therefore

lightened the car significantly.

Maybe someone here knows all the 411 on the Z-11s.

I think there was some other weight savings measures

taken as well, I know they were all equiped with

4-speed T10 trans.

Yes, a lot of weight savings but also, more importantly

an under rated big block that made over 500

horsepower. The Mopar boys employed not only

aluminum feders/doors/bumpers but also acid dipping

of the unibody which ate away the metal and therefore

lightened the car significantly.

Maybe someone here knows all the 411 on the Z-11s.

I think there was some other weight savings measures

taken as well, I know they were all equiped with

4-speed T10 trans.

We have come a long way on alot of things, but lower weight isn't one of them. My brothers 63 Impala with a 283 weighed 3200lbs, thats barely more than todays compact cars. That's even with an iron block V8, and everything is made out of metal. Oh how I would love a mid-size(like my 98 Grand Prix) with RWD, a V8, and weighing about 3000lbs.

"Factory Lightweights" were bread and butter of early 60's drag racing. They often had aluminum body panels and bumpers along with radio and heater delete packages as well as sound deadener/carpet and padding deletes. I think I remember that some didn't even use seam sealer between body panels. There were also a ton of high performance parts available straight from the dealer's parts counter.