Item: 1999 BMW R1100RS

Since it's been so cold I haven't done much work on it.  But last month I took the wheels off and dropped them off to have new tires fitted. Put the wheels back on today and repaired a positive battery cable that I had broken in the fall.  Today it moved under it's own power for the first time in probably years.  I took it for a very short spin up the block and back.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Since it's been so cold I haven't done much work on it.  But last month I took the wheels off and dropped them off to have new tires fitted. Put the wheels back on today and repaired a positive battery cable that I had broken in the fall.  Today it moved under it's own power for the first time in probably years.  I took it for a very short spin up the block and back.

Yesterday and today would be perfect "winter testing" days with highs touching 60-62 degrees F. Obviously too chilly for a real ride but warm enough to test out winter modifications/repairs. 

What all is needed to make it up and running, at this point? I know you got it running and rode it a bit but anything else needed to feel safe on it? 

51 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Yesterday and today would be perfect "winter testing" days with highs touching 60-62 degrees F. Obviously too chilly for a real ride but warm enough to test out winter modifications/repairs. 

What all is needed to make it up and running, at this point? I know you got it running and rode it a bit but anything else needed to feel safe on it? 

I need to go through and complete a bunch of deferred maintenance. Oil and brake fluid changes.  Adjust the valve clearances (a BMW boxer sensitive area). The headlight assembly needs to be replaced. The right turn signal doesn't work.  Plus a bunch of cosmetic stuff.

I also need to synchronize the throttle bodies. I put it on the sync measurement tool back in the late summer so I already know it is way off, but I didn't adjust it back then.  It struggles with idling until it is pretty well warmed up and getting those in sync will fix that.

As weather allows, it will probably be:

1. Valve clearance adjustment
  2. Alternator belt change
  3. Throttle body sync
  4. General debris cleanup
  5. Oil change, brake fluid change
  6. Headlight assembly and turn signals (switch to LED where possible)

I still will need to acquire a new front faring and possibly a windscreen. There is some fogginess in the windscreen that looks bad and I can't seem to get it clean.

From there, I'll ride and reassess.

Yesterday I found that the bike has the same accessory plug as my Scrambler, so I am able to have them share the battery tender easily.

I ride as cold as 50 degrees if I have thermals on with my Scrambler. I'll have more wind protection with this, so I might be able to go lower.

Done so far:

1. New tires mounted
  2. cylinder sync test (failed)
  3. Brake pad and rotors checked for spec (passed, but not surprising because the lone receipt I have for maintenance is for new pads in 2018)
  4. Tank drained
  5. Battery replaced
  6. Positive battery cable terminal replaced
  7. Air filter replaced (had been mouse munched)
  • Thanks 3
  • Agree 1