Nissan News: Rumorpile: Nissan GT-R's Future In Question

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

June 30, 2012

From the "Wait, What?!" department comes a report from Inside Line that says the next generation GT-R hasn't been approved.

A source reveals that Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn hasn't given the green light to begin work on the next GT-R. More worryingly, the source says that Ghosn might not give it go ahead at all.

A possible reason as to why Ghosn might not give the green light is in this tidbit from the report,

"Ghosn approved the original GT-R only after being assured that it would make money for the company even at low volumes. Since its introduction, GT-R sales in the United States have added up to just 5,914 units and they have slowed recently to just 583 this year."

Most likely the GT-R isn't making enough profit to meet expectations. Part of that could come from the price increase that has happen since the GT-R was launched in 2008.

• 2008: $69,850 (Base); $71,900 (Premium)
  • 2009: $76,840 (Base); $79,090 (Premium)
  • 2010: $80,790 (Base); $83,040 (Premium)
  • 2011: $84,060 (Premium)
  • 2012: $90,950 (Premium)
  • 2013: $96,820 (Premium)

*2011 saw the base GT-R dropped*

Yes, Nissan has been improving the GT-R every year or so (2013 model sees a increase of 15 for both HP and torque; 545 HP and 463 lb-ft of torque. 0-60 time of 2.7 seconds.), but in the crowded field of sports cars, having numbers like those isn't enough.

A couple other items to take into consideration: in 2009 Ghosn was a champion of the GT-R project. Now, he is the champion of the Leaf EV, something that is way on the other side of the spectrum. Also, chief engineer of the GT-R Kazutoshi Mizuno, recently retired.

Previously, rumors had the next generation GT-R to appear sometime in 2014. Horsepower was expected to be around 600 HP and possibly use a hybrid powertrain. Now, the GT-R is up in the air.

Source: Inside Line

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected] or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

Does not surprise me, without a performance guy to champion a given car, the sales numbers do not support keeping a halo like this going. Plus the current GTR never really hit home to consumers the way the R34 or R35 did.

Exactly...and while the car is hugely fast, it isn't anywhere near as reliable or easy to wrench on as a Corvette C6, it's largest competitor here.

I think a lot of performance cars are going to go away....

Exactly...and while the car is hugely fast, it isn't anywhere near as reliable or easy to wrench on as a Corvette C6, it's largest competitor here.

I think a lot of performance cars are going to go away....

Yes, with the Green movement and the fact that you can get some pretty quick fun cars to drive with Turbo 4 or turbo 6 engines without having to take it to a racing level, I suspect over the next few years a number of low selling performance auto's will silently go away.

A friend of mine's brother owns a company that modifies GTRs into insanely fast machines. I visited the facility a few weeks ago and the sights there were simply awesome. They are getting 1,200 hp out of these engines. (if you read Jalopnik, they did a story on the company a few weeks ago also). they are moving to a new facility soon, and I may go out to do a story on them and their new space.

A friend of mine's brother owns a company that modifies GTRs into insanely fast machines. I visited the facility a few weeks ago and the sights there were simply awesome. They are getting 1,200 hp out of these engines. (if you read Jalopnik, they did a story on the company a few weeks ago also). they are moving to a new facility soon, and I may go out to do a story on them and their new space.

That would be cool to read and see with pictures of what they are doing. :)