• Ford and Deutsche Post Team Up to Build EV Transits


    • Germany's postal service is working with Ford to build battery powered delivery vans.

    Ford of Germany and StreetScooter GmbH a subsidiary of Deutsche Post, Germany's postal service, are teaming up to build 2500 electric powered Ford Transit delivery vans by the end of 2018.

    StreetScooter and Ford begin production next month. Production starts with a standard Ford Transit chassis and then it is fitted with a battery-electric drive train and a cargo body based on Deutsche Post's and DHL Paket's (yet another Deutsche Post subsidiary) specifications.

    StreetScooter already manufactures small EV vans and cycles for delivery service.

    No word yet on range or charge times, however the new EV Vans are intended for urban use, suggesting a limited range and charge time.

    Source: Ford Media, Picture courtesy of Ford



      Report Article


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    In the US the standard Transit wheel is 16 inch, don't know what it is in Europe.    16s look small nowadays, considering subcompact CUVs like the Trax have them, and 18-20s are the norm on midsize SUVs. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    10 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

    Why not?

    My thought would be that it might drain it a good amount while idling in traffic.

    But, maybe these trucks will have an extra motor to counteract that a bit.....

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 minute ago, daves87rs said:

    My thought would be that it might drain it a good amount while idling in traffic.

    But, maybe these trucks will have an extra motor to counteract that a bit.....

    :duck: EVs don't idle.  If you're not moving, the only electricity you're using is whatever is powering the stereo and dashboard (miniscule).

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    3 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

    My thought would be that it might drain it a good amount while idling in traffic.

    But, maybe these trucks will have an extra motor to counteract that a bit.....

    No idling, it would just shut off when not moving, right? 

    • Like 2

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

    :duck: EVs don't idle.  If you're not moving, the only electricity you're using is whatever is powering the stereo and dashboard (miniscule).

    Ah, this is what happens when you work on a gas powered car all day....:P

     

    But, good point-that is true. Granted, they might be running a bunch on stuff and charging their phones....but they would still be good for a while......

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 minute ago, daves87rs said:

    Ah, this is what happens when you work on a gas powered car all day....:P

     

    But, good point-that is true. Granted, they might be running a bunch on stuff and charging their phones....but they would still be good for a while......

    The article didn't mention battery size, but even half a Telsa battery would be more than enough to charge your phone battery for a month.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

    The article didn't mention battery size, but even half a Telsa battery would be more than enough to charge your phone battery for a month.

    Thinking it would be a good sized battery....

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

    The article didn't mention battery size, but even half a Telsa battery would be more than enough to charge your phone battery for a month.

    Obviously spoken by a man who has never had a teenage daughter...

    Just now, daves87rs said:

    Thinking it would be a good sized battery....

     

    Probably a little too heavy to wear on your belt...

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    3 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

    Obviously spoken by a man who has never had a teenage daughter...

    Probably a little too heavy to wear on your belt...

    Thinking it might need wheels of its own....

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites


    Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

    Guest
    You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
    Add a comment...

    ×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

      Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.