Ford Flex To Take Final Curtain Call In 2020

• The Flex is taking a final bow in 2020

The Ford Flex, a boxy crossover will be no more come 2020. This information comes after Ford and Candian union Unifor reached a tentative deal last night. The deal will see Ford make investments totaling $700 million with the majority going towards their two engine plants in Windsor. The remainder will go towards Ford's Oakville assembly plant - home to the Ford Edge and Flex, and Lincoln MKT and MKX production.

Speaking with the Windsor Star, Bob Scott, vice-chair of the master bargaining committee for Unifor revealed that the Flex would cease production in 2020. The fate of the sister model MKT is still a mystery. Ford spokesperson Kerri Stoakley declined to comment on this story to the Detroit Free Press, citing the automaker's policy on not discussing future product plans.

This isn't the first time that a union official let loose information about future products. Back in September, a UAW official revealed that the Ford Bronco and Ranger would enter production at Ford's Wayne, MI plant in 2018.

The Ford Flex has never been a big seller for the brand. In 2015, the brand only moved 19,570 Flexs. This pales in comparison to the 249,251 Explorers sold in 2015.

Source: The Windsor Star, Detroit Free Press

Report Article

2 hours ago, Wings4Life said:

Best family hauler ever.

Of course, we don't know yet what will/can replace it.

We got them as rentals for the debate team at the University I work for.  They did an excellent job as a long haul cruiser getting students to out of state tournaments. A very nice over the road partner indeed!

we had the predecessor, the Taurus X.  The Flex was a genuine improvement but kept the drivability.

I would love to see Flex move to the next Fusion platform and do it again, but it probably won't.

2020 seems past due, it is dated now.  Ford can cut Taurus and Flex and no one would miss them.  What they need is a crossover below the Escape, they have one in Europe, they need it here.

6 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Bronco will kind of be this size, won't it?

I am really looking forward to seeing this one. Fords execution on trucks lately has been an out of the park home run, and I think the Bronco is just going to add to that.

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I'm just scared it will be too CUV/car-like and not as hard edged as we all want it to be. I would love for it to just look like an F150 because I love the front of the F150 and the headlights but if it's going to be built on the new Ranger platform it will definitely be a little smaller.

Smaller would be rational as the country is rapidly becoming more urban and people in urban areas will want something easy to park and maneuver.

I think it will be very truck like.

There should be little doubt that Bronco will be Ranger based, and thus, BOF.

Timing aligns perfectly with a MCE of the Global Ranger as well, so there you pretty much have it. I would hardly expect anything radically different or unique or at least costly enough, on what what will be low volume NA production.  Relatively speaking.  Global Ford, with 'custom tailoring' is what I would expect.  The Bronco will surely share as many panels as possible, but no doubt will cost more than a Ranger, so they must be expecting larger than Ranger volumes. That makes sense, given the popularity of SUV's.

3 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

The Bronco is going to be an Americanized Everest.

Possible, but I do not find this likely. Would love to see them build something with small boxy architecture like the Bronco, about the size of the Renegade.

i would be all over that.

3 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

i would be all over that.

This would be cool, but alas, not a chance. I think everyone expecting a new 'old' Bronco is going to be sorely disappointed.

7 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

I can dream!  I owned a 69 Bronco, one of the original series, as a project truck...decided not to fix it up and sold ti to a farmer to sue as a vehicle to get around his fields.  A bit of rust in that one...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.