• Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

    Jaguar Takes An Ax To The C-X75


    William Maley

    Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

    December 12, 2012

    The Jaguar C-X75 was a unique concept when shown at the 2010 Paris Motor Show, using four electric motors mounted in the wheels and a battery pack to power. Once the batteries were depleted, a pair of gas turbines would take over.

    Jaguar announced the C-X75 would head into production last year, albeit with some changes. The gas tubines would be dropped for a 1.6L turbocharged and supercharged four-cylinder and two electric motors mounted at either end of the vehicle. Combined power output was expected to be 888 HP and 590 lb-ft of torque. 0-60 MPH time was expected to be 2.8 seconds and a top speed in excess of 200 MPH.

    Now Jaguar has announced with heavy heart that the C-X75 has been cancelled due to the current global economic crisis.

    "We feel we could make the car work, but looking at the global austerity measures in place now, it seems the wrong time to launch an £800,000 to £1 million supercar. This is backed up by other products from us that people are screaming out for," said Adrian Hallmark, Jaguar's Global brand director.

    Hallmark says the investments made into the C-X75 will not go waste. 60% of the weight-saving and hybrid tech will be incorporated into future models. Also the five prototypes that Jaguar has been working will be finished up. Two of them will go up for auction while the rest will go to Jaguar's museum.

    Source: Autocar

    William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

    0


      Report Article
    Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0


    User Feedback




    Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

    Guest
    You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
    Add a comment...

    ×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    Loading...



  • Popular Stories

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. jlbunting
      jlbunting
      (40 years old)
  • Similar Content

    • By William Maley
      The tentative agreement between General Motors and Canadian union Unifor has a $400 million investment going to Oshawa for a new product. Unifor President Jerry Dias said at a press briefing yesterday morning that Oshawa would be the only GM plant that will build cars and trucks. Neither side is saying what that product might be.
      But Canadian newspaper The Globe and Mail has learned from sources that Oshawa will be handling the final assembly of the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra. Truck bodies from GM's Fort Wayne Assembly in Indiana will travel to Oshawa to have interiors installed and final assembly. The Detroit News reports something similar, although their source says it will only be the Silverado.
      Oshawa has a history of building pickups. For four decades, Oshawa was one of the places where GM built the Silverado and Sierra. But in 2009, GM closed the truck plant due to the recession. 
      The Globe and Mail also reports that production of the XTS has been extended at Oshawa. Analysts believed previously that XTS production would end in 2019.
      Source: The Globe and Mail, The Detroit News

      View full article
    • By William Maley
      The tentative agreement between General Motors and Canadian union Unifor has a $400 million investment going to Oshawa for a new product. Unifor President Jerry Dias said at a press briefing yesterday morning that Oshawa would be the only GM plant that will build cars and trucks. Neither side is saying what that product might be.
      But Canadian newspaper The Globe and Mail has learned from sources that Oshawa will be handling the final assembly of the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra. Truck bodies from GM's Fort Wayne Assembly in Indiana will travel to Oshawa to have interiors installed and final assembly. The Detroit News reports something similar, although their source says it will only be the Silverado.
      Oshawa has a history of building pickups. For four decades, Oshawa was one of the places where GM built the Silverado and Sierra. But in 2009, GM closed the truck plant due to the recession. 
      The Globe and Mail also reports that production of the XTS has been extended at Oshawa. Analysts believed previously that XTS production would end in 2019.
      Source: The Globe and Mail, The Detroit News
    • By William Maley
      Ford has finally confirmed that it will be moving small car production in the U.S. to Mexico in the next two to three years. This information isn't new as we knew about it a year ago thanks to a new contract with the UAW. We learned that in 2018, the Ranger would be taking up residence at the Michigan Assembly plant, home currently home to the Focus and C-Max.
      Why is Ford moving small car production to Mexico? It comes down to costs. With low gas prices, consumers are buying up crossovers and trucks at a rapid rate. This means small cars are sitting on dealer lots, costing automakers money.
      “Every global manufacturer has to determine how it can best create revenue and limit expenses. Small vehicles are the most price-sensitive, so any cost-savings that can be gained offer competitive advantages. Thus moving production to a lower-labor-cost country makes particular economic sense for small cars,” said Jack R. Nerad, executive editorial director and executive market analyst for Kelley Blue Book.
      It doesn't hurt that labor costs in Mexico are significantly less than those in the U.S. The Detroit News reports that workers earn the equivalent of $8 to $10 an hour, compared to the $29 an hour top-tier workers in the U.S earn.
      “I don’t think it’s all doom and gloom. It’s a reflection of the shrinking market share for compact cars,” said Dave Sullivan, manager of product analysis for research firm AutoPacific.
      But you have to wonder if Ford could have handled this better. Especially when Presidental candidate Donald Trump ripped into Ford for this decision, vowing to put a 35 percent tariff on Ford vehicles if elected. 
      Source: The Detroit News

      View full article
    • By William Maley
      Ford has finally confirmed that it will be moving small car production in the U.S. to Mexico in the next two to three years. This information isn't new as we knew about it a year ago thanks to a new contract with the UAW. We learned that in 2018, the Ranger would be taking up residence at the Michigan Assembly plant, home currently home to the Focus and C-Max.
      Why is Ford moving small car production to Mexico? It comes down to costs. With low gas prices, consumers are buying up crossovers and trucks at a rapid rate. This means small cars are sitting on dealer lots, costing automakers money.
      “Every global manufacturer has to determine how it can best create revenue and limit expenses. Small vehicles are the most price-sensitive, so any cost-savings that can be gained offer competitive advantages. Thus moving production to a lower-labor-cost country makes particular economic sense for small cars,” said Jack R. Nerad, executive editorial director and executive market analyst for Kelley Blue Book.
      It doesn't hurt that labor costs in Mexico are significantly less than those in the U.S. The Detroit News reports that workers earn the equivalent of $8 to $10 an hour, compared to the $29 an hour top-tier workers in the U.S earn.
      “I don’t think it’s all doom and gloom. It’s a reflection of the shrinking market share for compact cars,” said Dave Sullivan, manager of product analysis for research firm AutoPacific.
      But you have to wonder if Ford could have handled this better. Especially when Presidental candidate Donald Trump ripped into Ford for this decision, vowing to put a 35 percent tariff on Ford vehicles if elected. 
      Source: The Detroit News
    • By William Maley
      Jaguar has reportedly been given the go-ahead for their electric SUV project. Autocar reports that the vehicle, possibly named E-Pace will be revealed later this year and go into production in 2018.
      Sources at Jaguar said the vehicle was going be a Range Rover, known as the Evoque-e. However, the project was moved over to Jaguar. This little bit of information confirms a part of a rumorpile story from last month talking about Jaguar's future EV plans. The E-Pace will be smaller than the new F-Pace and feature more aggressive styling.
      Power will come two electric motors - one on the front axle with 114 horsepower and one on the rear with 195 horsepower. Total output is said to be around 308 horsepower. The battery size is unknown. Prototypes running around had a 70 kWh battery. But Autocar expects a larger battery to deliver a range of 280 to 300 miles.
      Source: Autocar

      View full article
  • Recent Status Updates

  • Who's Online (See full list)