Vette Trivia

Guest YellowJacket894

Guest YellowJacket894

What makes the following Corvette special?

Posted Image

I guarantee no one will know what it is. :booyah::neenerneener:

Edited by YellowJacket894

It's invisible to radar.

Also, it couls be the quality of the pic, but something looks different on the front turn signals. There looks to be a divider in the middle of them, and the 84-90 lights were one piece in the front.

This starte an urban legend. When I was selling Chevrolets

I heard a few times from part-time car fans that ALL black

Corvettes from the '90s on have paint that is formulated to

be inpervious to radar right from the factory... :rolleyes:

Guest YellowJacket894

It's invisible to radar.

Also, it could be the quality of the pic, but something looks different on the front turn signals. There looks to be a divider in the middle of them, and the 84-90 lights were one piece in the front.

Z nailed it.

The car is a 1986 Chevrolet Corvette loaded down with a "sheild of electric armor," to quote the now sixteen-year old May 1990 issue of Car & Driver that's laying on my desk. The car was basically stealth as the stealth bomber -- it featured all the hi-tech gadgets that you could buy to fool the cops with in 1990, and that included a CHiPs Dectector, a Kenwood RZ-1 wide-band reciever, an Orion equalizer, a Remote Systems radar-jammer, a Kenwood TM-731A ham transciever, and a Colt CB radio. To top it all off, the engine was tuned by John Lingenfelter when he was still alive, the V8 mill produced an impressive (for the time) 400-raving-wild-horses. The transmission was also beefed up. Also, the exhaust note was virtually undectable around 2000 RPMs. Another interesting note is that the rear light pattern could also be modified to show either two taillamps or all four.

The bodywork was all stock, though. The only hint that the car is something other than an ordinary 1987 Vette was that there was a new, small black rubber air dam installed, two small antennae mounted at the front-edge of the glassback and a removable dark shade under it, and special painted low gloss wheels.

If I get the time, I'll post the full article in The Lounge.

Edited by YellowJacket894

Guest YellowJacket894

Yeah. But GM didn't make it. Some guy who specalized in eavesdropping, who went by "Bob" in the C&D article, customized his Vette as part extention for his hobby and to beat the cops.

Look at the background of the Vette photo. I think that may just be the owner.