Random Trivia

Guest YellowJacket894

Guest YellowJacket894

1. What year does the Fiero project date back to? What was it's original name and what project proceeded it?

2. Besides the Art & Science cues in the Cadillac Sixteen concept, what other car influenced the concept's design?

3. The four-cylinder engine in the 1982 Chevrolet S-10 and GMC S-15 compact trucks was shared with what car? In 1985, what engine replaced it?

4. What platform was the Chevrolet Beretta based on? What was the name of it's Canada-only sedan counterpart?

5. The name of the 1987 Chrysler LeBaron predecessor was...? (Hint: Plymouth had a car with the same name a few years later.)

6. The Chevrolet Celebrity's predecessor was...?

7. What car revived Olds's infamous Vista Roof? What was the year? Name the platform.

8. The Cadillac Series 62 was renamed what in what year? (Hint: Olds has had a car of the same name, if I'm not mistaken.)

9. What car influenced the 1991 Chevrolet Caprice redesign?

10. True or False: For 1982, Chevrolet had a Monte Carlo Turbo model.

Edited by YellowJacket894

3. The four-cylinder engine in the 1982 Chevrolet S-10 and GMC S-15 compact trucks was shared with what car? In 1985, what engine replaced it?

The original base four-cylinder was the 1.9L Isuzu engine. The 2.5L Pontiac "Iron Duke" eventually replaced it before giving way to the 2.2L four.

4. What platform was the Chevrolet Beretta based on? What was the name of it's Canada-only counterpart?

Was the Beretta actually sold as the Tempest? I thought only the Corsica was.

5. The name of the Chrysler LeBaron predecessor was...? (Hint: Plynouth had a car with the same name a few years later.)

The Chrysler LeBaron filled a space in the lineup below any other product in 1978. It was replaced in 1982 with the FWD K-car-based model, but again didn't directly replace anything since the old LeBaron became the New Yorker.

The Celebrity was supposed to replace the Malibu, but both remained in the lineup for a few years.

7. What car revived Olds's infamous Vista Roof? What was the year? Name the platform.

The Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser reintroduced the Vista Roof in 1992. The new car was based on the GM300 version of the B-body platform.

8. The Cadillac Series 62 was renamed what in what year? (Hint: Olds has had a car of the same name, if I'm not mistaken.)

The Series 62 became the Cadillac Calais.

The turbo (Buick) 3.8L V6 was offered in the Monte Carlo in 1980 and 1981, not 1982.

1. What year does the Fiero project date back to? What was it's original name and what project proceeded it?

1975... forget the name but the Banchee preceded it.

2. Besides the Art & Science cues in the Cadillac Sixteen concept, what other car influenced the concept's design?

Uh... 1930s Cadillac V16 Coachbuilt cars

Iron Duke replaced it... was it the 2.2 OHV?

4. What platform was the Chevrolet Beretta based on? What was the name of it's Canada-only counterpart?

N or something like that... & the Pontiac Acadia... or was it Tempest?

5. The name of the Chrysler LeBaron predecessor was...? (Hint: Plynouth had a car with the same name a few years later.)

what years are we talking about? LeBaron was an Imperial before it was a Chrysler...

Malibu... or was it considered the Citation? :wacko:

1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 4dr... but it was a sedan NOT a hardtop. <_<

9. What car influenced the 1991 Chevrolet Caprice redesign?

Cadillac Solitare

false

ohh.... the wagon's vista roof, as in the Vista Cruiser.

I'm thinking the 1959-62 Vista Roof. You knwo the

"Flying Wing"... the Flat Top 4dr hardtop. :P

Guest YellowJacket894

I fixed some of the questions. (I was in a hurry when I typed them.) Go back and re-read them. Delete your original answers if you wish.

Answers to be posted this evening.

The Fiero project was originally named Pegasus. I believe it began in '81, as spy pics surfaced as early as '82. I don't believe anything directly preceeded it, tho the '64 XP-833 Banshee did conceptually (both 2-seaters).

The Series 62 was renamed the Calais for '65.

Guest YellowJacket894

Sorry it took so long for the answers.

1. 1969; X-4; Banshee

2. Cadillac Eldorado

3. Chevrolet Cavalier/J-Body; Pontiac Iron Duke

4. L-Body; Pontiac Tempest

5. Chrysler Laser, twin to the Dodge Daytona

6. Chevrolet Malibu

7. 1991 - 1992 Olds Custom Cruiser; 1991; B-Body

8. Calais, 1965

9. 1986 Ford Taurus

10. False

Edited by YellowJacket894

Shared with the Isuzu I-Mark/Impulse. The 1.9L/2.0L was replaced by the 2.5L Pontiac four.

4. What platform was the Chevrolet Beretta based on? What was the name of it's Canada-only sedan counterpart?

Since it was mentioned above, I didn't answer...but it's the L-body (based on the J and N platforms) and it the Corsica became the Pontiac Tempest in Canada.

5. The name of the 1987 Chrysler LeBaron predecessor was...? (Hint: Plymouth had a car with the same name a few years later.)

The predecessor to the 1987 J-body LeBaron was the K-body LeBaron.

X-4... damn I forgot that.

Guest YellowJacket894

1. 1969; X-4; Banshee

I'd welcome a little more detail on this answer. Not aware of the '69 X-4...

164324[/snapback]

Well, the project really exsisted on paper rather in sheetmetal. 1969 is when John Z. DeLorian tried to start up the project dubbed X-4.

From Wikipedia (yeah, may not be the best source, but I found another site which said something along the same lines of which I can't find at the moment)...

Once a dream originally envisioned by John Delorean in 1969 with the code name of "X-4"...

Oh, OK, I know what's going on here. THIS is the car in question:

Posted Image

This was shown on the '68 show circuit as the "Firebird of Tomorrow", and was refreshed for the '69 show circuit and renamed "Fiero". More pics here:

http://www.desoto58.com/dreamcar/dreampont69a.html

This appears to be a shortened, 2-seat 1st gen Firebird, tho obviously heavily reworked.

I still have not encountered anything called "X-4". I smell another factual dud from wikipedia...

Ironically, the Fiero name was reused from a '69 showcar, and the original Fiero name choice, Pegasus, was originally planned to be used on a Pontiac version of the Corvair. This car kept rising from the ashes like a... a... Phoenix or something... ;)

IMO if we're looking for the spiritual ancestor to the Fiero, we would go back thru it's beggining planning stages in '75, back thru the FoT/Fiero of '69, back thru the extensive 2-seat Banshee program of circa '64 and land plumb behind the wheel of the '54 Bonneville Special.

Took a look at the wiki Fiero entry... Now I'm no authority on the Fiero (it's too new for my area of interest), but according to my sources:

wiki : "Once a dream... in 1969 with the code name of "X-4""

I never heard of a '69-ish X-4...

wiki : "Fiero -- meaning "fierce" in Italian -- was finally designed by Hulki Aldikacti as a Pontiac sports car.

> My source says 'Fiero' translates to 'very proud'...

>Fiero was also designed from the onset as a notable "efficient" car, not as a sports car.

> Aldikacti was moreso the remote 'foreman' of the outside enginering firm that developed the Fiero. Styling was headed by John Shinella (exterior) and Bill Scott (interior). Entire project was pushed enthusiastically by PMD's GM Robert Stempel ('78-80).

wiki ; "Though originally designed with its own suspension and brakes, the "bean counters" at GM forced the use of off-the-shelf components which severely limited the Fiero's performance envelope."

My sources list no such 'original sports car suspension' but do mention the car through development used the corporate parts bins extensively to control costs.

Entry reads with a bit too much editorialism for my tastes ("Sagniaw, where the measure was by the ton, not by quality"- my ass).

I can't say where but I've heard the name X-4 in a more factual

source than Wikepedia, probably one of my magazines.

WEll that's the thing... someone might have thrown in the

X-4 name into a magazine article in like 1992 and now

fact or not it's throwing us off. I'll look through a few of

my books & seee if there's a mention of it.