Drove an '06 Malibu LT for a week.

GM was one of the pioneers (I think) of bringing V6 power to the compact segment (J-cars.)  Why can't they do it again?

170612[/snapback]

You know how many people would bitch about GM being "out of touch" with the economy car market? How this is just another example of stupid, wasteful American thinking? How Acura got 200hp whiny, redline-banging horsepower out of the TSX's mill but GM has to put a V6 and manage only 10 more?

People already bitch heavily at the W-cars having 5.3l V8s, arguably some of the best mass-market V8s in the market, and not all of the criticism is centered around the car. People (yourself among them) bitch about the 4.6l Northstar in the Lucerne while "everyone else can do pretty much the same with a six," even though the Northstar has perhaps still the best real world V8 torque delivery and is just nothing put pure silk when it comes to acceleration, etc compared to Toyota's 3.5l in the Avalon.

I think a V6 Cobalt would be a great idea, but do you see now where the pessimism comes from? Truly damned if you do, damned if you don't in just about everything.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know how many people would bitch about GM being "out of touch" with the economy car market? How this is just another example of stupid, wasteful American thinking? How Acura got 200hp whiny, redline-banging horsepower out of the TSX's mill but GM has to put a V6 and manage only 10 more?

People already bitch heavily at the W-cars having 5.3l V8s, arguably some of the best mass-market V8s in the market, and not all of the criticism is centered around the car. People (yourself among them) bitch about the 4.6l Northstar in the Lucerne while "everyone else can do pretty much the same with a six," even though the Northstar has perhaps still the best real world V8 torque delivery and is just nothing put pure silk when it comes to acceleration, etc compared to Toyota's 3.5l in the Avalon.

I think a V6 Cobalt would be a great idea, but do you see now where the pessimism comes from? Truly damned if you do, damned if you don't in just about everything.

170623[/snapback]

Agreed. The Cobalt should first get a hybrid variant before a heavy V6.

Back to the Malibu--the stunning thing for me is how this roomy car manages to have so much real-world power AND still return such excellent gas mileage (rated 22/32 MPG with 3500 V6 & ATX). I really wish GM would advertise this car (and the Cobalt, for that matter). People are starting to look for better fuel economy and with the Malibu, you don't have to sacrifice power for the fuel economy.

• 1 month later...

I don't know what this says about us but both my wife and I like the looks of the Malibu.  OK, I have to admit that I prefer the looks of a G6, but styling aside, the Malibu seems like a better package for the money.  But then again, I'm one of those old timers who places value high on the list of things to look for in a car.

168768[/snapback]

While i'm not a huge fan of the front end treatment of the current Malibu, I must agree with you on the overall styling. It has gotten better as time goes by. The recent additions of a chrome insert on the door molding and those optional chrome foglight surrounds really make this car look sharp. It stands out so much more than the fat, bloated plain looking 07 Camry that I would choose the Malibu over it in a heartbeat based on styling alone. It also is rated at slightly better mileage and the 07 version has the more powerful LZ4 3500 with VVT which offered very powerful performance in a 2007 G6 I test drove. Plus I love the std fold flat front passenger seat, telescoping wheel, chrome guage surrounds versus Camrys plain 90's looking IP and the std equipment trip computer, even on the stripper value leader models.

Edited by ponchoman49