'95 Fleetwood updated a bit...

Still working, little by little, and dollar by dollar, to update and upgrade my near perfect '95 Caddy Fleetwood as time goes by.

It wasn't even really in "the budget" (but then again, what is?!), but I had been going back and fourth for a few months on new wheel & tire options. There was NOTHING wrong with the OEM wheels and Michelins it had, but the look could stand to ratchet up a bit. Thought aftermarket, thought chrome stocks, and just kept coming back to the OEM Impala SS wheels. A very popular upgrade choice for a lot of B & D bodies, since they're 1) GM OEM, 2) perfect offset and fitment, and 3) look great.

So, doing my usual net surfing, found an ad for some on my favorite Impala SS forum and jumped. Pretty much brand new, found a set being sold that were purchased new from GM, mounted on 275-50-17 Nitto tires, put on the seller's Caprice for about a month and 500 miles, then removed. Basically, he bought them and installed, but unexpectedly sold the car and the new buyer wanted the original wheels instead.

Saved a few hundred dollars compared to having to buy both the wheels and tires separately, get them mounted, etc., and these were good to go immediately.

Also picked up a set of '02+ Deville center caps, something that was found to fit these wheels perfectly by a couple of Caddy guys, and ended up with this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The look is MUCH improved, not just because of the sportier wheels, but because of the more filling width--and the 275 tires only make it better, especially compared to the stock 235 15's. Handling is better as well, and the ride is crisper (considerably more so, because I keep them at near max psi), and it's just an overall perfect look and feel that I LOVE. And definately has gotten me and the car the most looks, comments, and questions of anything. Had a whole show and tell at the GM dealer when I test drove a Lucerne, with some salesmen swarming the car, and also asking about what the wheels were.

Second new thing, and lot smaller, are the "revised" tailllights. Know another guy with a black '96 Fleetwood VERY well, as we both have the same taste in these cars and mods for them. His being black, he had custom done a set of tinted taillights for his car. The first set was very nice, but still not dark enough for what he wanted, so I ended up buying them from him.

They aren't black like his second set, but noticeably darker, and look AWESOME with the rest of my car's look and the color. Even my father, who never likes to change anything on a car, thought they looked great and wanted to know what they were and how I got them.

When lit, they're actually redder than the stocks that give off an orangish light, and went dark, just have a very nice and stealthy smoked look to them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

For comparison, here's one of the OEM ones:

Posted Image

That's it for now, and the car actually needs a few little fixes now (A/C is dead again, and my driver's power seat just went haywire), but there's still some more "on the list" for the future.

gorgeous . . . i agree with your taste as well and a car that beautiful def needs a show and tell once and a while . . . its just beautiful with those tires and the lights i agree are another beautiful touch on an already awesome automobile

Thanks guys! :AH-HA_wink:

Right now, a custom air intake is in the making. The stock LT1 air intake system on the B & D bodies is AWFUL, and one of the most plugged up around, so any kind of change usually makes a noticeable improvement. There's a lot of different brands and varieties, but I'm taking the best of a few and modeling my own...if I can ever get the time to finish it!

Exhaust is on the list as well, as again, the stock system is nice for silent cruising, but so plugged up and restrictive, it actually is a big power killer. Flowmasters will NOT ever touch this car, as most "in the know" are familiar with how they make a raspy sound but are one of the most restrictive custom mufflers out there (kind of the opposite of what the name implies ^_^ ), but something will change. Just not sure what, yet. Something new from the cats back, and eliminate the resonators. Headers too, as soon as that's also in the budget.

I had wanted to do some tint, as well, but found out by the local shop it's technically illegal in DE to having ANYTHING on the front side windows, but fair game on the rears. Something is better than nothing, but just not sure if I'd want that "half done" look or not.

This weekend, I hope, I'll get the side gray strips repainted (some of them are faded, a very common thing on these cars), my intake moved along, and look into my dead power driver's seat...

But again, THANKS, and I appreciate it! Still so strange to me how so few people even knew or know these cars exist, especially with an LT1 Vette motor and running gear almost identical to an Impala SS underneath...but are a LOT nicer, larger, and flashier.

Thanks for letting me know what you've heard about the Flowmaster brand. Glad to hear you're planning to open up the intake and exhaust, which can make the car more economical as well as more powerful, hopefully.

How are the narrow chome moldings up near the beltline holding up? When I worked at a Cadillac dealership, we had to order several sets under warranty for customers because the chrome plating bubbled. I am hoping they changed the design to better withstand time and keep their finish. Not sure if the moldings are still available from GMSPO.

Thanks for letting me know what you've heard about the Flowmaster brand.  Glad to hear you're planning to open up the intake and exhaust, which can make the car more economical as well as more powerful, hopefully.

How are the narrow chome moldings up near the beltline holding up?  When I worked at a Cadillac dealership, we had to order several sets under warranty for customers because the chrome plating bubbled.  I am hoping they changed the design to better withstand time and keep their finish.  Not sure if the moldings are still available from GMSPO.

176241[/snapback]

Oh, so funny that you ask about those bedamned strips. EVERYONE who owns, or has ever been around one of these cars, seems to be more than familiar with the "crinkly" look. Figured it out when we first got the '93, and the ones on my '95 are actually a little worse than that car, despite it being a garage queen and newer.

I know one guy who bought both a '93 and '95 new, and he's actually said that they went bad on both of those cars not too long afterwards (i.e. still in warranty). They actually are still available, and you can order them to this day, but they apparently haven't changed one iota, and then go funny again after a little bit.

Strange, for sure. But, knowing how commong and re-occuring of an issue this is, and how it's only really seen up close, I'm not even going to bother touching them for quite a while.

Started some new changes today. Deleted the bumperettes (a.k.a. push guards) front and rear, and filled the holes with chrome caps. Looks a lot cleaner and fresher, and I like it a lot.

Also started on getting the side chrome panel gray strips repainted. All sanded, and a few divets have been filled it, so some more cleaning, lots of taping, and some spraying tomorrow, and the car will once again have perfect lower trim strips.

Oh, and started my intake templating finally, so we'll see if I can get anywhere with that tomorrow as well...

More pics to come as things continue to change and update :AH-HA_wink: