Official Harley Earl Website

!!!TED!!!

I was doing some research online, and stumbled on this awesome website dedicated to Harley Earl.

http://carofthecentury.com/

It has a ton of rare photos, and some extremely great reading material. I ended up looking at it for 2 hours. :o

A "must click" for anyone interested in automotive design!

Posted Image

Excellent, I have much more reading to do. Added imeadiatly to favorites I certainly wish to take nothing from Mr Earl or his impact on auto design. However I have always found it alarming that his designers that did most of the work never get the credit or rarely, depending on the publication. Virgil Exner worked under Harley Earl and is also credited for tailfins. Ill have to hunt a site or two about him down again. Then of course there is the few mysterious 46 Cisitialias with tailfins. I just wish when they displayed photos of clay mockups they would give names of men involved. Perhaps show the draft or scetch that first inspired the clay to roll out for carving, with the name of the artist. I know Earl was the force but there were many many talented nameless faceless designers that worked under him. Sad to think many will never be known.

It's a great site. I stumbled upon it sometime ago, searching around for things about my stylistic hero. GM needs a modern day 'Harley Earl' to revolutionize this company's product. The Corvette/Solstice/Sky are a nice start. If GM could do all it's cars like the style and spirit of Corvette, it would have it's market share back. Come back, Harley Earl.