The Mitsubishi "25 Years in America" campaign

I noticed on the current Mistubishi TV ads a lttle "25 Years in America" logo. Of course, those of us older than the Gen-Xers these cars are targeted for (ironic choice of words, there) remember that Mistusbishi visited us a little earlier than just "25 years."

Mistusbishi's first visit actually occurred 63 years ago, on December, 7th, 1942, 07:55 HRS at Pearl Harbor, HI. The model; a Mistubishi A6M Zero

Posted Image

Think maybe they'll re-introduce them with the turbo diesel!?

Edited by westgrandblvd

True. What's your point?

191393[/snapback]

That's not self-explanatory in my post?

Okay. The point is that their ads proclaim 25 years, but that's kinda revisionist history. Some of us still have personal ties to Japan's surprise attack on the US in WWII and this kind of campaign seems Orwellian, not to mention the swath of economic destruction that has occurred since the 70s because of Asian imports, government-subsidized dumping and other greasy trade and political practices.

What's the point of your disingenuousness?

I don't mean to be coarse but whenever it's insinuated that we should still hold a grudge against another nation because of a war that occured well over a half a century ago, it gets under my skin.

I'm also not a fan of solely blaming Japanese imports for any economic strife America may have had since they've been on these shores.

Maybe I'm just too young (and I don't mean any disrespect when I say this) but I say it's best to leave the past in the past and not look at a nation as a perpetual enemy because of it.

That said, I wasn't around when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor but if I was I could probably understand how one would feel. However, I honestly can't imagine feeling any different than I do now even if I was around for that.

Yeah... the Japanese suffered enough as well... Hiroshima... Nagasaki... anyone?

Question? Who makes your TV?

And besides, I don't blame all of North America's troubles on Asia either. Many times I blame North Americans themselves... we've become relatively lazy when compared to our ancestors and too self-indulgent.

And look at the Irish Protestants and Catholics... they're STILL pissed at each other over a war that happened, like, what, 400 years ago?!...

...and people wonder why they get laughed at.

Edited by Captainbooyah

there are still people who dont ride in a german built car because of the war.

pearl harbor will always illicit strong emotion, same as say 9/11 always will.

but to hold a grudge? im not sure. everbody suffered and dont hesitate to think that if they had the bomb first san fransiscco or la or seattle would have been leveled. they already had plans to use bio and chem weapons on the w. coast.

it was war and no ones hands were clean.

on the lighter side of grudges....

This is the transcript of the ACTUAL radio conversation of a British

Naval ship and the Irish, off the coast of Kerry, Oct 95. Radio

conversation released by the Chief of Naval Operations. 10 - 10 - 95:

IRISH: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the South, to avoid a

collision.

BRITISH: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the North, to

avoid a collision.

IRISH: Negative. You will have to divert your course 15 degrees to the

South to avoid a collision.

BRITISH: This is the Captain of a British navy ship. I say again, divert

YOUR course.

IRISH: Negative. I say again, You will have to divert your course.

BRITISH: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER HMS BRITIANNIA. THE SECOND LARGEST

SHIP IN THE BRITISH ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE

DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS, AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT

YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH, I SAY AGAIN, THAT IS 15 DEGREES

NORTH, OR COUNTER- MEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF

THIS SHIP.

IRISH: We are a lighthouse. Your call.

See...9/11 isn't an exact parallel. 9/11 were Arab terrorists, not Arab nations. If the Arabs started building amazing cars that were segment-toppers, I'd have no second thought about buying one.

THAT SAID:

With Mitsubishi...

See, if you know nothing about Japan (which seems to be the case), your views seem reasonable...Mitsubishi is Mitsubishi, right? Well no. Japan has some massive conglomerates. These conglomerates own hundreds of manufacturing plants that make products for thousands of industries. Mitsubishi is one such example. Mitsubishi made fighter planes, cars, consumer electronics, computers, non-consumer electronics, and appliances...among other things. Fuji is another conglomerate. Fuji Heavy Industries, anyone? What about Fuji cameras? But isn't one Fuji or Mitsubishi the same as the others? No. Each are different "divisions" that operate as completely different companies. They just belong to the same conglomerate and use the conglomerate's factories.

That's the simplified version.

Another reason to move on from Pearl Harbor is that it was a war and Mitsubishi didn't have much of a choice. Just like in WWII the US used all the autofactories for the war effort. Should the Germans turn up their noses to GM because of that? What about the Japanese?

Should the Germans turn up their noses to GM because of that?

191470[/snapback]

Naw. Instead, they bought one of the Big 3 and use it as a puppet. :P

Oh, and I think it's funny that in this thread's first post, Mitsubishi is mentioned four times (aside from the title). Each time, it's spelled incorrectly. :lol:

Edited by NOS2006

Here's another thing. My Grandpa served in the Australian Airforce, and of course, they tangled with the Japanese a lot.

Well, he can't drive anymore, but guess what car he used to drive?

(Drum Roll)

.... A Toyota Camry... He bought it because he needed a reliable vehicle that was relatively inexpensive and wouldn't quit on him.

Here's the thing. I thought our brave soldiers fought and died to help preserve some very key principles in a democratic society, one of them being tolerance. Ok, so the Japanese stupidly, and bloodthirstily attacked Pearl Harbour. Well, guess what... they apologized for it.

Holding a grudge against a whole people never gets anywhere.

Using similar reasoning as the poster, I guess I should be pissed at you Americans for trying to invade my country back in the 1800's. But I'm not, and I could care less. I guess I should stop being friends with the Asian people I know, despite them being very friendly, and their never having wronged me. Hell, maybe I should go key some BMW's just because they supplied the NAZI war machine...

The 1950's are over pal.... get over it.

If you were affected directly by the Japanese attacks, then my condolences.

I'm Jewish.

dont worry, its not your fault

I suppose I should sell my BMW after reading this oh so enlightning thread.

i think the majority of people could care less what you do with your car.

there are some people who harbor resentment and personally will have nothing to do with it. some people wont buy bayer aspirin. all? no. some you bet yer ass.

Honestly Gramps (to the OP), the world would be so much better if the likes of you just went away.

191478[/snapback]

sometimes its nice to be reminded, but i think weve come a long way from blind hatre. we can bs about the bataan death march and torture of pows or the shooting of chinese prisoners by the japanese to train med staff, and weapons effectiveness. or go on about purposeful infection or my favorite vivisection, just to get an idea of how things worked.

as far as arab and arab nations thats the problem with this war. the only common denominator is arab males between the ages of 17 and 40. and i wouldnt worry about afghanistan putting out the next camry beater. so its kinda moot.

theyre busy building indoor ski resorts.

what do you guys care anyway? for all you know this guy was eating a cup of rice with a bucket full of rocks hanging from his neck for a few years.

while i dont necessarly agree with the sentiment, i respect his pov no matter how outmoded or irrational it may seem. same goes for the german thing. time to move on. not to be too flippant about it.

and i visited dachau and saw first hand the memorials and and musuems that document the attrocities that happened there and throughout europe. there are certain things you dont want to forget no matter how much youd like to. would it stop me from buying a certain car or give up tempura? what do you think