2007 Nissan Altima Production Begins

Variance

2007 Nissan Altima Production Begins

Posted Image

SMYRNA, Tenn. (Sept. 25, 2006) – Employees from Nissan North America’s corporate headquarters joined the manufacturing team in Smyrna to celebrate the start of production of the company’s best-selling model in the U.S. market: the Nissan Altima. The first 2007 production model rolled off the assembly line today.

Manufacturing Vice President Bill Krueger presented an oversized key to Marketing Director Fred Suckow at the mid-morning ceremony, symbolically handing off the all-new Altima from the manufacturing plant to the sales and marketing team. The Altima sedan then drove through a banner stretched across the Trim & Chassis final line.

“The Altima is an important car in the Nissan lineup, and the new model builds on the strengths of the former model,” said Krueger. “We took a lot of actions to assure a high-quality launch. We completed two system trials and two production trials to verify parts, systems and equipment. Dedicated launch teams made the Altima the total focus of a group of managers and production technicians, and we had dedicated trainers on each shift. We installed new equipment in several zones, such as the rear subframe decking device, sunroof assist device and front-end module decking device. And while we were working within all our functional groups, Nissan engineers were also working closely with suppliers to assure their preparedness.

“We’re confident that all these actions and many others will result in a high-quality vehicle that will provide a lot of value for our customers.”

The all-new 2007 Nissan Altima is evolutionary in design, but revolutionary in its platform and hardware while offering new levels of quality feel, enhanced comfort and available convenience features.

Along with its distinctive styling, the fourth-generation Altima is built on the all-new Nissan “D” platform with improved body rigidity and a redesigned suspension.

The new Altima also offers Nissan’s advanced Xtronic CVT™ (Continuously Variable Transmission), a choice of the award-winning VQ-series 3.5-liter V6 or powerful 2.5-liter inline 4-cylinder engines, and a long list of technology features – including available Intelligent Key with Push Start Ignition, Bluetooth® Hands-Free Phone System, RearView Monitor and an advanced touch-screen navigation system.

In calendar year 2005, Nissan North America sold 255,371 Altimas.

Altimas produced in Smyrna are exported to Gulf Coast Countries, Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico and other countries. In fiscal year 2006, Nissan will export approximately 40,000 Altimas.

Since the production launch of the first Altima on June 11, 1992, the Smyrna Plant has produced 2,448,367 units to date. With the addition of 284,640 units built at Nissan’s vehicle assembly plant in Canton, Miss. – where production started on June 14, 2004 – Nissan has produced 2,733,007 Altimas in North America to date.

The Smyrna Plant employs 6,500 and represents an investment of $2.1 billion. In addition to the Altima, the plant produces the Nissan Maxima, Nissan Xterra, Nissan Pathfinder and Nissan Frontier.

Source: Nissan North America

when i was researching cars with CVT's when i was deciding between CVT and 6 speed on my 500, i recall reading several owner reviews about how unimpressive the Murano CVT was. in contrast, in reviews most everyone said the Ford CVT was excellent. There are many 500 owners lamenting the lack of CVT in the upcoming duratec 35. The Murano CVT is not UNRELIABLE......is just is not great operationally yet. It lacks responsiveness and doesn't use the nissan's hp all that well and doesn't get great mpg is what i remember. But it is reliable supposedly.

But Nissan claims to have addressed all this on the Altima's CVT. Plus isn't there a stepped mode in the Altima CVT?

Edited by regfootball

There's a stepped mode optional on the Murano, too - probably on the SL. Still, I echo what you said in your posts about the Murano's general functionality. Its pretty mediocre and nearly as bad as the Compass I test drove, except simply more powerful.

Between 20-35mph, the CVT reacts worryingly slow to throttle inputs, feeling like it either downshifted or upshifted too early. The power is certainly there, but you need to really rev it up to feel it. Off the line, its unimpressive given the rote numbers. Also, I've put near 500 miles on the Murano so far, half city, half highway, and its returned 18mpg. I can do the same with my car and its 'archaic' 4-speed and 10 year-old V8.

when i was researching cars with CVT's when i was deciding between CVT and 6 speed on my 500, i recall reading several owner reviews about how unimpressive the Murano CVT was.  in contrast, in reviews most everyone said the Ford CVT was excellent.  There are many 500 owners lamenting the lack of CVT in the upcoming duratec 35.  The Murano CVT is not UNRELIABLE......is just is not great operationally yet.  It lacks responsiveness and doesn't use the nissan's hp all that well and doesn't get great mpg is what i remember.  But it is reliable supposedly.

But Nissan claims to have addressed all this on the Altima's CVT.  Plus isn't there a stepped mode in the Altima CVT?

197770[/snapback]

the cvt has all the sxcitement of an escalator. im not a fan of it all in the 500. i cant imagine it being better or said to be better than a nissan. im so glad i got my bonne back. as far as the mileage it pretty much sucks. nothing special at all.

It's all in the design and tuning. All CVTs are not the same.

197903[/snapback]

well no sh!t, sherlock. :lol: my point is if someone is saying fords cvt is better than their nissans, and i think its as exciting as an escalator, with no mpg perks whats the point?

im sure there are some out there that are fine it just doesnt suit my tastes. and it has plenty of go it just mainly lacks the get up part. its not something that i dont think would ever feel comfortable trying to "push".

and the constant drone. thanks, but no thanks

CVT's will improve over time. If it were more available and practical for everyday I would drive a true manual hands down. Typically I loathe traditional stepped slushbox automatics more than just about anything else in life. Once they figure CVT's out, I think its the best compromise for most average folks. The DSG trannies I think hold the most promise for folks who like to drive but can't get a real stick.

On the 500's they issued a TSB to program the CVT more aggressively. It used to be you had to FLOOR the throttle and wait and then it would adjust. But folks who've had the TSB done say it 'downshifts' much better now. The reason I ultimately went 6 speed was because on test drives the CVT didn't adjust fast enough but over time I found the 6 speed is no gem and is like the Camry automatics, lots of gears but you CAN'T get it to downshift!

I know Nissan will try to engineer the ALtima CVT for good response. Yet, I am worried about Nissan's quality. After all, we are talking about Ghosn. He uprooted his whole company and sent them to Nishville, to save a few bucks. Who knows where Nissan has cut the corners here?

• 3 weeks later...