A Little Feedback From G6 Owners

TheMattMan

Hello.

My girlfriend is looking to replace her '99 Cavalier within the next month or two. At first she was thinking of getting a Cobalt, but within the last few days she has shifted over to the G6 (a little of the reasoning being the G6 comes with a dark green exterior color since she likes British Racing Green), but so far she's looking into getting a 4 cyl. sedan (which with all the options and so prices out near $19,000).

From fellow G6 owners in here, I'm wondering if you have had any problems/complaints about it, as well as the positives of the G6. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Guest YellowJacket894

I really don't see anything wrong with the one I picked up. Nice car with few shortcomings. There are some very minor bugs I have to work out soon (dome light bulb is loose and a faulty passenger side window switch), but overall it's a very solid car with great handling and power (it's a V6 model, though). Very sharp in person -- GM's pho-tog team doesn't know how to do this car justice. It's so much better than the Grand Am it replaces -- it can really make a comparable Grand Am SE feel like tin can powered by a blender motor. (I know I've got a great car should I decide to take over the payments.)

Also, make sure you get your driving preferences just right and learn them. If not, you'll end up bitching about it and writing a whole novel on the subject like Razoredge does. :D :wink:

It's so much better than the Grand Am it replaces -- it can really make a comparable Grand Am SE feel like tin can powered by a blender motor.

I no longer support or endorse your posts after a statement like that. Bad, YJ, bad. :P

Also, make sure you get your driving preferences just right and learn them. If not, you'll end up bitching about it and writing a whole novel on the subject like Razoredge does. :D :wink:

I second that statement.

Since the forum ate my original response:

Our G6 has been perfect AS LONG AS YOU DO NOT PURCHASE THE PANORAMIC SUNROOF.

My wife loves our 2006 G6 GT with the 3500 V6. It has been one of the best GM cars we have had, if it wasn't for that damn sunroof. It has spent almost a full month at the dealer trying to fix it and after three months, all the creaking and popping comes back.

The G6 seems like a good choice, as long as you stay away from the big sunroof.

And BV, sorry to rain on your parade, but the G6 puts the driving dynamics and power of the Grand Am to shame. We had a 2003 GA GT coupe for almost three years. I drove it to the Pontiac Dealer to trade for the G6 (leases) and drove the G6 home. I drove them back-to-back. The G6 puts the GA to shame. Even the power from the 3500 is put to the road better and makes the car respond better, handles WAY better and is MUCH more comfortable. Plus there are options you couldn't get in the GA, like heated seats. The Grand AM, while a great car in our service, holds nothing to the G6.

And BV, sorry to rain on your parade, but the G6 puts the driving dynamics and power of the Grand Am to shame.  We had a 2003 GA GT coupe for almost three years.  I drove it to the Pontiac Dealer to trade for the G6 (leases) and drove the G6 home.  I drove them back-to-back.  The G6 puts the GA to shame.  Even the power from the 3500 is put to the road better and makes the car respond better, handles WAY better and is MUCH more comfortable.  Plus there are options you couldn't get in the GA, like heated seats.  The Grand AM, while a great car in our service, holds nothing to the G6.

212030[/snapback]

Different strokes for different folks. I've always found the Grand Am to be more comfortable. There's something about the G6's cockpit that just doesn't feel right to me. I prefer the Grand Am in that sense. As far as handling and power... It does feel better, but specs and test data say otherwise. 7.7 seconds vs 7.9 seconds to 60 mph; .82 g's vs .81 g's on the skidpad; 126 mph (governer limited) vs 123 mph (drag limited) top speed; and 20/29 mpg vs 21/29 mpg fuel mileage. Now, the G6 GTP certainly blows away the Grand Am, in feel, specs, and test data. But if it came down to a G6 GT or a Grand Am GT, I'd have to take the Grand Am. It's nothing against the G6, as it's a good car, the GA is just more my style in most ways.

Also, just because I can... in comparision, the Mazda Millenia S goes to 60 in 7.5-8 seconds (depending on the year), gets .82 g's on the skidpad, has a top speed of 145 mph, and gets 20/28 mpg fuel mileage. And it has a luxurious ride and feel, with all the features and amenities to go with. Oh snap. :D:P

The G6 is an improvement over the Grand Am in application and even greater improvement in appearance. The old GA sedans were pathatic looking and the coupes only slighty less pathatic. It should be fine with the I4 for economy and have enough power to get around well.

If you are comming from a Cavalier you might not notice any of the short falls of the interior lay out.

Positives are a sturdy, rigid chassis that performs well though a bit jouncy

Negitives are an interior layout designed by the leftover morons no one else would hire, overseen by a no-show "73 year old product wiz kid" that is too busy doing press promos to do his friggin job.

but hey, for a $20,000+- car who could expect it to be anymore comfortable and fitting of all potential customers than say a .........69 VW Beatle.................. :pbjtime:

And no, Razor... has nothing to do with the steering wheel being too far away or the gas pedal being too close to the console. I'll give you that the sqaured off steering wheels feels funky and the center console armrest is too far away with the cup holders being in the way. My main problem is the seat feel and position as well as the position of other things I come in contact with.

I have had a G6 at my work for about 6 months now. I haven't been able to drive it outside much, but I drive it on the dyno often.

We got the G6 convertible with the 3.9L, with most of the options. The hardtop convertible is really cool, and we haven't had any issues with it. The only thing I dont like about it is that it takes too long to go up and down. The monsoon stereo system is awesome!! It is one of the best systems I have ever heard in a car.

I was kinda disappointed with the 3.9L. It just didn't have the power like I expected it to, compared to other engines I test on the dyno. When we had the top down on the dyno, the body would flex quite a bit. You could see the windshield moving from pretty far away.

I think that it looks good, and enjoy driving it, but I dont know if I would buy one.

GT coupe with Sport Package comes with the 3.9L and six speed manual, that should shave some good time off that 0-60. Viper has to be quoting 3.5L/4 speed auto times. I am guessing the GTP 3.6L/six speed auto will run even quicker than the manual trans car.

I'll bet the 2.4L/auto cars run about a second slower to 60 than the 3.5L, still not bad, and you get the economy benefits of the 4 cylinder.

The G6 is selling well. Park a G6 next to a Grand Am and you'll see immediately how far GM came with the new car. Night and day better. The 4 cylinder car with the new 5 spoke pastisteel wheels looks good, I just saw a black one today.

Thanks for the info, it's very appreciated.

Her parents were happy with her decision to get a GM car since that's basically what they and her 2 older brothers have owned for the past 25 years.......... a Sierra, a HD Silverado and a Surburban, and before that 2 Camaros, 2 Cavaliers, a Firebird, an Astro, a 64 Chevelle and are currently restoring a 56 Chevy 2 door. So there's a lot of GM blood in the family (except for a late 60's Yellow VW bug her dad and a friend restored about 2-3 years ago).

The 2.4 she's looking towards since it fits more in her budget since she doesn't want to pay more then $20,000 at the most (including tax, title, etc.), so that would axe the sunroof and any V6 engine. Fuel economy seems to be good as well as the other features that are standard. It would be maybe a month or two till she would go in to get a G6, so when she gets it I'll have to update.

GT coupe with Sport Package comes with the 3.9L and six speed manual, that should shave some good time off that 0-60.  Viper has to be quoting 3.5L/4 speed auto times.  I am guessing the GTP 3.6L/six speed auto will run even quicker than the manual trans car.

Yeah... obviously. I forgot that the 3.9 was shuffled down to the GT for 07, so my post is for the 06.

Guest YellowJacket894

And BV, sorry to rain on your parade, but the G6 puts the driving dynamics and power of the Grand Am to shame. We had a 2003 GA GT coupe for almost three years. I drove it to the Pontiac Dealer to trade for the G6 (leases) and drove the G6 home. I drove them back-to-back. The G6 puts the GA to shame. Even the power from the 3500 is put to the road better and makes the car respond better, handles WAY better and is MUCH more comfortable. Plus there are options you couldn't get in the GA, like heated seats. The Grand AM, while a great car in our service, holds nothing to the G6.

:yes::withstupid:

Different strokes for different folks. I've always found the Grand Am to be more comfortable. There's something about the G6's cockpit that just doesn't feel right to me. I prefer the Grand Am in that sense. As far as handling and power... It does feel better, but specs and test data say otherwise. 7.7 seconds vs 7.9 seconds to 60 mph; .82 g's vs .81 g's on the skidpad; 126 mph (governer limited) vs 123 mph (drag limited) top speed; and 20/29 mpg vs 21/29 mpg fuel mileage. Now, the G6 GTP certainly blows away the Grand Am, in feel, specs, and test data. But if it came down to a G6 GT or a Grand Am GT, I'd have to take the Grand Am. It's nothing against the G6, as it's a good car, the GA is just more my style in most ways.

My main beef with the sub-GT Grand Am models, after just walking out of a G6, is, well, basically everything. The exterior tries way too hard to be sporty and looks very overcooked. It got much better after 2003, but then the car looked incomplete and unbalanced. Maybe even a little cheap and chintzy.

And, good God, the interior is pathedic on the GA.

The G6's interior is well thought out -- rear cup holders for rear passengers, attractive chrome accents on the gages and vents, sporty red backlighting, nice, firm seats, all controls have a solid feel. The whole interior feels complete, vault solid and concrete wall thick, for that matter.

The Grand Am's interior, on the other hand, feels thin, sub-par, and cheap -- a weird, squishy material covers the doors, the mouse-fur headliner is something GM should have put to bed well before the second-generation GA debuted, rear-passengers are neglected in the sedan models, and the seats are thin and make your spine feel tree trunk stiff after a long ride. The whole design reflects the exterior -- overcooked and overdone.

I don't mean to say the Grand Am was a bad car -- it wasn't. Two members of my family alone own Grand Ams and they have been very reliable cars with low upkeep costs (one belonging to my aunt literally has had the living hell beat right out of it and it still keeps going along). They are V6 SE examples, models comparable to the G6 V6 SE model we own and what I'm using as subject matter in this post. But they're not my cup of tea. (However, the 1997 and 1999 GT and GT Ram Air models can easily make me take back some of the statements I've made. Those particular models of the Nineties Grand Am were decent looking machines with decent git-up-and-go.)

I'd also ignore how the G6 stacks up to the GA on paper as well. I'd much rather have a vehicle that can prove itself on the highway rather than on paper.

Also, just because I can... in comparision, the Mazda Millenia S goes to 60 in 7.5-8 seconds (depending on the year), gets .82 g's on the skidpad, has a top speed of 145 mph, and gets 20/28 mpg fuel mileage. And it has a luxurious ride and feel, with all the features and amenities to go with. Oh snap.

Then why can't it hold a candle to a rock? :pokeowned::D

Edited by YellowJacket894

My main beef with the sub-GT Grand Am models, after just walking out of a G6, is, well, basically everything. The exterior tries way too hard to be sporty and looks very overcooked. It got much better after 2003, but then the car looked incomplete and unbalanced. Maybe even a little cheap and chintzy.

And, good God, the interior is pathedic on the GA.

The G6's interior is well thought out -- rear cup holders for rear passengers, attractive chrome accents on the gages and vents, sporty red backlighting, nice, firm seats, all controls have a solid feel. The whole interior feels complete, vault solid and concrete wall thick, for that matter.

The Grand Am's interior, on the other hand, feels thin, sub-par, and cheap -- a weird, squishy material covers the doors, the mouse-fur headliner is something GM should have put to bed well before the second-generation GA debuted, rear-passengers are neglected in the sedan models, and the seats are thin and make your spine feel tree trunk stiff after a long ride. The whole design reflects the exterior -- overcooked and overdone.

I don't mean to say the Grand Am was a bad car -- it wasn't. Two members of my family alone own Grand Ams and they have been very reliable cars with low upkeep costs (one belonging to my aunt literally has had the living hell beat right out of it and it still keeps going along). They are V6 SE examples, models comparable to the G6 V6 SE model we own and what I'm using as subject matter in this post. But they're not my cup of tea. (However, the 1997 and 1999 GT and GT Ram Air models can easily make me take back some of the statements I've made. Those particular models of the Nineties Grand Am were decent looking machines with decent git-up-and-go.)

I'd also ignore how the G6 stacks up to the GA on paper as well. I'd much rather have a vehicle that can prove itself on the highway rather than on paper.

212313[/snapback]

Well, you're talking about sub-GT models. I'm talking about the GT. Even then, some of the things you describe, I just don't get. My mom had a bare-bones SE coupe for almost 4 years... I got to drive it and ride in it alot.

Material wise, the only places that lacked were the hard plastic radio/climate, gauge cluster surrounds, rubbery steering wheel and door pulls/arm rests, and the mouse fur headliner. The actual dash and door plastics were soft to the touch, though they were decidedly shiny. The "weird squishy" material on the doors is nothing more than padded leatherette (aka fake leather or vinyl or whatever it actually was), which you can find in many vehicles with substantial, non cheap interiors as well. Most of the materials in the Grand Am are the same ones in the Alero... just applied in different colors to a much less radical design, and you don't often hear people calling the Alero's interior cheap.

I also feel generally uncomfortable in the G6's cockpit. As far as the seats go, I find the Grand Am's seats to be much more comfortable. The ones in the G6 are more supportive, but they're too stiff and the shape is uncomfortable... not to mention the headrests that surge forward are hard. I'd hate to be in a rear end collision with those. I'm not the only one that finds problems with the seats. In most reviews of the G6, they state the need for better seats. Also, the arm rests are hard and rough and the steering wheel is just wrong with its squared off edge.

When it comes to design, I can see how people would prefer the G6. It's clean, modern, and... well... normal. For me, it's always been too bland. The entire sedan, and the front half of the coupe/conv atleast. I just prefer the Grand Am GT's looks (you can't compare the SE's since the G6 only offers one look). It's aggressive and sporty and anything but bland. People like to complain about the ribbed cladding and such, but all it took was a simple updated like the Bonneville recived (the GXP look) and it would have been solved. The actual design behind the cladding, ribs, etc was great. As far as interior design. The one thing I like about the Grand Am's interior is its cohesiveness. Yes, it's overdone with the same style as the exterior, but nothing looks out of place. On the G6, half of the interior looks like it belongs in another car. I like certain aspects of it, but the interior as a whole turns me off.

Finally, when it comes to driving dynamics, the Grand Am beats the G6 on paper but lacks in the feel of the handling and ride. As for engine performance, I still like the feel of the Grand Am with the Ram Air 3400. The 3.5 may have more power, but it's stuck in a porky car (for its size...3500lbs is too much, even the Malibu Maxx is lighter). The HV 3.9L obviously does wonders and I'm sure the HF 3.6L will be even better. Since the Grand Am never came with anything more than the R.A. 3400, it loses here. Either way, both the Grand Am and G6 lose to competitors like the Accord and the Mazda6.

Oh... And as I so stubbornly pointed out, the Millenia, too. :P