anodized aluminum?

I was wondering if you had an all aluminum block, heads, headers, raditor, valve covers, and intake. ect. could you get it anodized in lets say burgendy and not have any issues of it changing color chipping or fadding due to stress or heat?

I was thinking of ideas for the caprice again and its possible future. 350 all in anodized aluminum in the same color as the paint.

Edited by capriceman

the shop that does my works orders now accepts private orders. It is coslty tho but would look bad ass. since its has a transparent look that powedercoating doesnt have.

keep in mind this is still in dream land.

If i could have my way i would have GM build me a V-12 that was in the v-12 Caprice concept.

You can get some powdercoat colors in a translucent- tho I see no burgandies on my chart (Eastwood).

No offense intended, but unless money is not a concern or you are building a show circuit Caprice, it seems that extra $ could be put to better use elsewhere on the car. Then again- I have no idea what the 2 processes would cost relative to each other.

In theroy i would want to spend no more than 15-20k on the caprice for a summer car. i think it will cost about 3-4000 to get the body in show type quality and get a nice quailty paint job unlike the craptastic Macco job it has now. Theres a B&M th-400 for about 1100 that i will get and put a shift kit in it. the engine is still key tho. Im thinking of a all aluminum 350. People want me to put a 383 stroker in it. Or get a LS7. Havent figured out what rear end gearing im going to put in it yet. and For suspension Airbags is looking pretty good right now.

I plan to get about 420 hp at the rear wheels which i think is possible with my budget.

But i am going to look into translucent powdercoat.

thanks.

• 2 months later...

In theroy i would want to spend no more than 15-20k on the caprice for a summer car. i think it will cost about 3-4000 to get the body in show type quality and get a nice quailty paint job unlike the craptastic Macco job it has now. Theres a B&M th-400 for about 1100 that i will get and put a shift kit in it. the engine is still key tho. Im thinking of a all aluminum 350. People want me to put a 383 stroker in it. Or get a LS7. Havent figured out what rear end gearing im going to put in it yet. and For suspension Airbags is looking pretty good right now.

I plan to get about 420 hp at the rear wheels which i think is possible with my budget.

But i am going to look into translucent powdercoat.

thanks.

For your info capriceman, most anodizing is a "dipping" process, not a spray-on. As such you cannot contaminate the bath with other metals, such as the iron cylinder liners or tri-metal bearings, or the block plugs. That method of coloration on an engine block would be out of your budget.

Speaking of that, you need to check your figures, unless you have some benevolent resources. An LS-2 engine, to get an all-aluminum, latest art one, will rum you over $6K at most authorized GM sources.

Your custom paint job, unless it is being done by someone who owes you a favor, if done correctly will run damn close to $4k,

depending on the color you pick, and if you want the car detail stripped and everything showing repainted.

I don't recall what year your Caprice is, as far as computer compatibility. That can run you another $1K

You have seen my Caprice in my signature. It cost me over $1800 just for a partial re-paint. I wanted to go to

a pearl paint, but the material cost of the paint is over $600/gal. The cheapest quote that I got for a single color

pearl paint was over $3000, and that was 3 years ago!

Then you mentioned an airbag suspension. Try over $2700, just for the kit. and that requires major rework for the install!

Nice dreams, but unless you won the lottery, recheck your costs before you start and have a thought-out plan.

Nothing is worse than having to sell a half-finshed project car, that got screwed up!!!!!

That was a real buzz kill.

But yeah i started to look into it and it would cost a lot more than i thought. I still want to powder coat a engine though.

If have a 90 the boxy style.

When i had some cracked out shop do it it only cost 250 for a coat of semi metallic paint. but Then kilned the car or some thing and every bondo spot that was done by some high schoolers popped out so it looks real bad.

If i could have my way i would have GM build me a V-12 that was in the v-12 Caprice concept.

So go find a totalled BMW 750iL in the junkyard. :AH-HA_wink:

But truth be told V12s are for poor people, I want to make a SBC based

V16 & stuff that into a true "Rat Rod" Cadillac from an Arizona junkyard.