GM/Chevy Deals?

NOS2006

I would be surprised if the SS SC gets a big discount. I actually drove a regular SS to the gas station once and it had plenty of power from the 2.4. I would actually recommend looking into one of those unless you just have to have the 30 extra horses. You'll save a good bit of money by doing so.

keep in mind, though, that the SS/SC does not only have the 30 extra horses, but it's a built motor, a different suspension, etc. They did a pretty good job with it and the Ion RL in making them notably differentiated from the other trim levels - they didn't just slap a more powerful engine in there. Whether it's worth the extra money is still up to the buyer, though.

I might look at both, but I really like what the SS SC package offers. Like PurdueGuy said, the SS SC offers more than just an engine over the regular SS. My mom was trying to tell me the same, to get just the SS, but I say it's all or nothing.. We'll see.

Guest YellowJacket894

Wait for a slightly used one to appear somewhere. A comparable ION RedLine I found at a local dealer was somewhere within the ballpark of $13k to $15k. Not much. :wink:

:wink:

I don't think I'd worry about the suspension upgrades if you want it so that you have something to drive in the winter. You're not going to be feelin the difference when you're driving on snow.

I guess if you want it for the summer too then maybe it would make sense, but a performance car in the snow just doesn't make sense to me. The GTO is being garaged whenever there is the slightest bit of snow on the ground.

Well, Northie, I could understand if it were some type of high-power performance car, but I don't see why driving a $20,000 performance car is out of question. Yeah, it's got an upgraded suspension and everything that won't be of a "performance" advantage for me in the winter, but maybe that will make the car more stiff if somehow I'm spun out on ice going down the road? lol I don't know, but it's not like a $35,000 car like yours because then I can understand garaging it. You've got twice the power of a Cobalt SS SC and RWD; there's no reason you should want to drive your car in the winter.

NOS don't forget you can even upgrade the SS-SC for another 1300 bucks to 240 hp and 215 lb-feet torque from GM performace parts. I think that will make it even quicker and push it to the chasis's limits and may be you can give us a heads up idea of how will the on road numbers of the Turbo Cobalt will be when it comes to handling and speed.

Unless you are overtly concerned about fuel economy (34 highway for NA vs 29 highway for SC) if I was you and had $4k more dough I will go for the SC. The last I ckecked it they were offering me at invoice plus I could cash in my GM card cashback which was $1000.

Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Well, Northie, I could understand if it were some type of high-power performance car, but I don't see why driving a $20,000 performance car is out of question. Yeah, it's got an upgraded suspension and everything that won't be of a "performance" advantage for me in the winter, but maybe that will make the car more stiff if somehow I'm spun out on ice going down the road? lol I don't know, but it's not like a $35,000 car like yours because then I can understand garaging it. You've got twice the power of a Cobalt SS SC and RWD; there's no reason you should want to drive your car in the winter.

215685[/snapback]

Yes, I agree. You just need to figure out how much more the SS SC is worth to you is basically what I'm saying. It would definitely be worth an extra $2-3k, but what if you could find a regular SS for $6k less?

Yeah, actually, you can get the Stage 2 for about $1000 out the door, but I'm not sure I'll get that right away. I just want the car and to settle in with it, then I'll do some small stuff next spring like CAI, exhaust, and a few small appearance mods... We'll see where it goes from there.

Yes, I agree. You just need to figure out how much more the SS SC is worth to you is basically what I'm saying. It would definitely be worth an extra $2-3k, but what if you could find a regular SS for $6k less?

215744[/snapback]

I'll tell you like I told my mom: It's all or nothing; if I spend $14k on an SS N/A, it's $14k wasted. If I spend $18-19K on an SS SC, it's money well spent IMO. Edited by NOS2006

What type of deals are you guys finding out there at dealerships? I'm looking for a Cobalt SS SC Coupe and just looking for a good discount. Should I wait 'til the year-end discount? Does that even apply to SS SCs?

215264[/snapback]

my general feel is that you can go into a dealership... and ask for sticker price - incentives... out the door... but thats here in LA with almost 11% for taxes and liscensing...

but generally GM gives dealerships about 10%(profit margin) over invoice = msrp... so you should have a rule of thumb... a $22k cobalt will probably be a good deal around 19,800$ or so... just round to 20k...

again if there are any incentives... this does not include those...

Guest YellowJacket894

Do you mean wait for a Redline? Or SS? I don't want the Redline.

215443[/snapback]

The RedLine and the SS SC are basically the same car, just different brand and sheetmetal/plastic.

If a 2005 RedLine is selling for about $14,000, I wouldn't expect the 2005 SS SC to be that much more.

Look for one and see what you can find.

Ok, then if you don't like my idea I guess I'll help you out on what you've decided.

Do you have to have new?

Just FYI, my dealer has an 06 with 500 miles on it for $19845. It has the moonroof, 6-disc and LSD, not sure what else.

Did they make the LSD package standard or something? I don't see it on GMBuypower.

The cheapest used on I found in the country on Autotrader is $16,895 with 12k miles.

Your best bet for new is probably finding a dealer with a bunch of them and see if you can't get a good deal because they want to unload them.

There is only $500 on '06s and $0 on '07s, so you should go for the '07 if the dealer will come down as much on them (which I doubt) if you go new.