New Astra: Refined Design

# New engines developed with future emissions standards in mind

# More powerful and over 13 percent more economical

# Successful exterior design refined, piano lacquer in interior

Rüsselsheim — Featuring fresh design accents and new engines that are more compact, powerful and economical, the new edition of the Opel Astra will be available at dealerships from February 2007. With more than 1.2 million units sold since its debut in March 2004, the third-generation Astra plays a leading role in European sales statistics. The new Astra will make its world premiere at the Bologna Motor Show (December 7–17, 2006) and can be ordered from November 20.

In future, Astra customers will have a choice of eleven different engines from 90 to 240 PS. …more

FYI this is the first Dual VVT 1.6 L to be produced in a mass-market vehicle. The only other two are the BMW 1.6 in the 116i, and the new BMW 1.6 based on the Tritec (Chrysler) design that has just become available in the new Mini. Toyota will not offer a new Dual-VVT 1.6 till sometime next year in the European Auris. As of next year GM will be producing six 4-cylinder engines with dual-VVT (1.6, 1.8, 1.9 DI, 2.0 DI Turbo, 2.2 DI, 2.4), compared to BMW's four (1.6 Mini, 1.6 BMW, 2.0, 2.0 DI), and Toyota's eventual two (1.6 and 1.8 L).

Edited by thegriffon

I think you will have to wait until the new-generation Aveo and Cobalt arrive, at the earliest for the new 1.6 and 1.8 L engines, but with GM commiting to best-in-class fuel economy, they could be coming. It will probably require a new engine plant to expand production outside Europe. At the moment GM Daewoo is still getting hand-me-downs—as GM Europe adopts the lightweight 1.8 VVT in more models, GM Daewoo can get more of the older Family 1 1.8 L in place of the even bulkier Family II 1.8 L produced by GM Holden. Eventually I expect GM Daewoo to produce the new-generation Family 1 engines themselves, instead of developing their own independent updates to the current Daewoo Family 1 engines as used in the Aveo. The Family II 1.9 and 2.2 L DI VVT engines are produced for Alfa Romeo, while the 2.0 Turbo and 2.4 L are already produced and sold in NA. The new GM Isuzu 1.7 L CDTI, while cleaner and morepowerful than the SOHC GM-Fiat 1.9 L will require new technology to meet US emission standards.

I think you will have to wait until the new-generation Aveo and Cobalt arrive, at the earliest for the new 1.6 and 1.8 L engines, but with GM commiting to best-in-class fuel economy, they could be coming. It will probably require a new engine plant to expand production outside Europe. At the moment GM Daewoo is still getting hand-me-downs—as GM Europe adopts the lightweight 1.8 VVT in more models, GM Daewoo can get more of the older Family 1 1.8 L in place of the even bulkier Family II 1.8 L produced by GM Holden. Eventually I expect GM Daewoo to produce the new-generation Family 1 engines themselves, instead of developing their own independent updates to the current Daewoo Family 1 engines as used in the Aveo. The Family II 1.9 and 2.2 L DI VVT engines are produced for Alfa Romeo, while the 2.0 Turbo and 2.4 L are already produced and sold in NA. The new GM Isuzu 1.7 L CDTI, while cleaner and morepowerful than the SOHC GM-Fiat 1.9 L will require new technology to meet US emission standards.

217461[/snapback]

excellent news

The new GM Isuzu 1.7 L CDTI, while cleaner and morepowerful than the SOHC GM-Fiat 1.9 L will require new technology to meet US emission standards.

217461[/snapback]

I thought the Isuzu engine was to be rated at 125 hp DIN. Are you saying it is above the 1.9 litre engine's 150 hp DIN?

No fuel-economy figures for the new GMI 1.7 L, but the old Fiat 1.9 gets 40.6 mpg combined on the european test. The new GM Daewoo diesel in the Optra gets 41.2 mpg combined (33.1 city, 49.0 hwy). This isn't directly comparable to the EPA test, but it gives you some idea.

Other Astra figures:

1.4 TwinPort (Family 0) - 38.6 mpg combined

1.6 VVT (Family I) - 36.2 mpg

1.6 Turbo - 30.5 mpg

1.8 VVT - 32.2 mpg

2.0 turbo - 25.6 mpg

1.3 diesel - 49 mpg

# New engines developed with future emissions standards in mind

# More powerful and over 13 percent more economical

# Successful exterior design refined, piano lacquer in interior

In future, Astra customers will have a choice of eleven different engines from 90 to 240 PS. …more

216898[/snapback]

The details sound great but why so many engine options? Isn't 11 kind of overkill?

I read the 1.7L diesel will have 2 power ratings: 110hp and 125 hp. Do you have any info on both finding their way into the Corsa?

Nice avatar, btw.

223365[/snapback]

No mention of IRS by GM Europe.

So far the Corsa is just getting the 125 PS version (123 hp), not the 110 PS (108 hp). Fiat's similar Grande Punto gets new 120 and 130 hp versions of the 1.9 L instead.

11 engines is somewhat misleading, since the 1.7 L diesels will replace manual versions of the SOHC 1.9 L. Not all engines will be available in every market. The UK for instance replaces the 1.6 TwinPort with the 1.6 Dual-VVT engine.