Brother's new '86 Regal LTD

Just realized I never made a post about this, but a few weeks ago my younger brother bought his first car (and beat me by about 2.5 years at that!).

He had wanted a Cutlass/Monte Carlo from the late 80's for a while, and was always looking. Never really found much except for a white '86 Cutlass with the 307 V8 at a local little used car place, and they looked at and drove it, but still weren't sure. Wasn't bad at all, but seemed to have a transmission issue and some other small issues.

So they kept looking and he also was considering some late 80's and early 90's Caprices they found in his price range. One Sunday were on their way to head up state a distance to look at one of those and something else, and not far from home were still looking in the paper and spotted an ad for an '86 Regal with 73k for $700, a lot closer to home. Called immediately and went over to see it, and it was sort of a done deal on the spot. Was better than the Olds they had looked at, was half the price, and was a more unique and slightly more luxurious Buick. And also the rarer optional Olds 307 V8, compared to most that got the 3.8L V6.

It's your classic one old guy owner car that sat for a while--and had some really nasty oil in it--but after a new cap & rotor, plugs, an O2 sensor and some other minor checklist things, is running very strongly & quietly. Having a bit of a smoke problem and still burning some oil, but he's just going to keep driving it as much as he can to see if that helps clean it out in there and then have work done if the issue continues.

It came new from PA and spent most of it's life there, so there's some rust underneath and a small spot behind one back wheel, but still hardly bad at all.

These pics were taken when he first got it and before even a wash, so it's dirty, but you get the idea:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and also 2 quick vids I took of it at night when I went home briefly to see it, showing off a bit of the light rumble from the glasspack someone put on it:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not the best color combo--light blue with a dark blue interior and a half black vinyl factory top--but it's okay, and in nice enough shape that it looks quite good all cleaned up (still not really done, since it's been so cold and they've been busy).

He got what he wanted, or even more so a rarer Buick that he never really thought of too much, and I hope it works out well for him. For $700, even I agree it couldn't be beat :thumbsup:

Edited by caddycruiser

The more he finally drives it now that it's finally inspected and 100% legal, it seems to be getting better and he really likes it.

Of course, the colors are still kind of atrocious, but hopefully one day that will change if it sticks around long enough (same for the Granny narrow wheels & wire caps).