Drove a 07 Silverado CC today

Silverado03

Okay I was at the dealer for service and I'm bored so I ask about the cool CC black Silverado 4x4 LTZ.

Next thing I'm going down the road. WOW it's an amazing pickup. Smooth, quiet, powerful, and we were getting 21mpg down the highway on 4 pistons.

It is a very different truck then the 800's. I have an 03 and I would give that thing up in a NY sec for a new one. But one thing, the sun visors suck. Even my 97 S10 had two flaps, one for the side window. And it really felt cheap, now for $46,000 I just need a better sun visor. I mean this thing had almost every option, I think all it was missing was the locking tailgate. Because the gas peddle moved, it had a sunroof, rear power sliding window, nav system. And that mean it has a touch screen for the radio also. That was very cool, just touch FM and you have FM, touch sound and you can play with treble and all that stuff.

Also I'm a photographer and use Nikon cameras, they are pretty much the best when it comes to the finish on that camera. The new interior trim is so much like the rubber on Nikon camera, kind of grippy with a nice pattern. And if it holds up like the Nikon's they will look pretty good in ten/20 years of hard work and play.

So go check one out.

I've yet to drive any of the new GMT-900's, but even exploring several at auto shows, there's clearly no comparison whatsoever in the feel of substance compared to the last gen. Massively better materials and finishes, and a structure that now REALLY feels robust and tight.

They should have no problem selling at all, once the complete model line is out.

Sat in one Monday, an LTZ or 2LT Graystone 1500 4x4 Crew Cab. I liked it better than the virtually identical (there's more differentiation than ever, but you know they're still the same-a mixed bag) Sierra I'd seen but not sat in the day before, and while the dasdhboard was nice-this truck had a power sliding sunroof-and not much head room, and I found the back seat cramped, and I was disappointed that there was no way of reclining or adjusting the seat, and that it was right against the back of the cab, just like in the not so good old days that should've been bygone a long, long time ago. Its better than the outgoing truck, but it just doesn't really seem to advance anywhere other than having a nice dashboard and finally catching up with the competition in a select few areas but not most others. No, I didn't drive it, but I'm sorry, I'm just not sold and that's my initial take.

Its better than the outgoing truck, but it just doesn't really seem to advance anywhere other than having a nice dashboard and finally catching up with the competition in a select few areas but not most others. No, I didn't drive it, but I'm sorry, I'm just not sold and that's my initial take.

223157[/snapback]

Think of it this way. The old truck was better than the competition in terms of powertrain and durability. Now they've taken that and put a top notch interior into it. I thought crew cab seats were always flat up against the back of the cab.

Yeah. I think the build quality and refinement, as well as fresher styling, are all finally there, but they definately didn't do much as far as improving interior space--especially in the trucks, where even the crew cabs are getting quite a lot of complaints about the rear seat. Making sure not to make the truck too large is one thing, but with monsters like the Titan and new Tundra, a little bit more space would be nice, especially given how a lot of people use trucks anymore.

Yeah.  I think the build quality and refinement, as well as fresher styling, are all finally there, but they definately didn't do much as far as improving interior space--especially in the trucks, where even the crew cabs are getting quite a lot of complaints about the rear seat.  Making sure not to make the truck too large is one thing, but with monsters like the Titan and new Tundra, a little bit more space would be nice, especially given how a lot of people use trucks anymore.

223228[/snapback]

My friend has a 06 Tundra and have been in it many times. It's not even close to the new 900's. The 900's interior makes the Tundra look like a cheap Tercel. Of course I think my 03 rides better and is more quiet then the Tundra, plus I get better mpg.

As far as the interior space, why not give the public 2 or 3 inch's in cab length. Well maybe they will make a extra. extra cab for 08.

I dream of the new 900's driving down the coast, who need some fancy German sports car when you can get a 1/2 ton with the 6.0

My friend has a 06 Tundra and have been in it many times. It's not even close to the new 900's. The 900's interior makes the Tundra look like a cheap Tercel. Of course I think my 03 rides better and is more quiet then the Tundra, plus I get better mpg.

As far as the interior space, why not give the public 2 or 3 inch's in cab length. Well maybe they will make a extra. extra cab for 08.

I dream of the new 900's driving down the coast, who need some fancy German sports car when you can get a 1/2 ton with the 6.0

223239[/snapback]

Well, I was referring to the completely new Tundra about to be replaced--which is VERY large--but still, good points to make.

Sat in one Monday, an LTZ or 2LT Graystone 1500 4x4 Crew Cab. I liked it better than the virtually identical (there's more differentiation than ever, but you know they're still the same-a mixed bag) Sierra I'd seen but not sat in the day before, and while the dasdhboard was nice-this truck had a power sliding sunroof-and not much head room, and I found the back seat cramped, and I was disappointed that there was no way of reclining or adjusting the seat, and that it was right against the back of the cab, just like in the not so good old days that should've been bygone a long, long time ago. Its better than the outgoing truck, but it just doesn't really seem to advance anywhere other than having a nice dashboard and finally catching up with the competition in a select few areas but not most others. No, I didn't drive it, but I'm sorry, I'm just not sold and that's my initial take.

223157[/snapback]

The interior and build quality details are the obvious differences between the 800s and 900s. However, you really need to DRIVE the truck to appreciate the improvements GM made...particularly if you drive it back to back against another pickup. The ride, acceleration (w/the 5.3), braking, steering, etc of the 2007 Sierra SLE crewcab were all vastly improved over the 2006 Sierra x-cab I test drove in July and my own 2000 Sierra x-cab (w/the 5.3) that I drove to the dealer in. The backup sensors are WAY cool too! The Z71 suspension on the one I test drove felt a lot like the Z85 on my truck...much better than the Z71 on the 2006...which I'm guessing is related to the improved frame.

Has anyone even looked at the bed??? The bed rail system is better thought out than the Nissan system as GM's bolts into the sides of the bed, not the bed floor where dirty loads like dirt and mulch will gum up the rails (even with the rubber covers on). The deeper bed is also better thought out than the F-150 as you can still reach items in the bed by reaching over the side...Ford made the sides of the bed too high to do that.

How 'bout the improved clearance in the engine bay to reach the front of the motor for maintenance vs. the 800s? The extra battery mount in the engine bay? The fold-up rear seat with no latch to pull? There's also usable floor space when the seat is folded...unlike the F-150 and the new 2007 Tundra, which has sharp metal brackets and the jack, etc using up floor space.

The bedrail system really impressed me and my father. Its a practical alternative to getting an expensive and cumbersome hardshell or tonneau cover or a clumsy, permenant metal toolbox. The fact that some of the accessory kits can be removed and used as toolboxes themselves is impressive.

GM trucks have always been about the details. They may not have the most dynamic styling or the upper dash texture, but they have always been excellent trucks.

The bedrail system really impressed me and my father. Its a practical alternative to getting an expensive and cumbersome hardshell or tonneau cover or a clumsy, permenant metal toolbox. The fact that some of the accessory kits can be removed and used as toolboxes themselves is impressive.

GM trucks have always been about the details. They may not have the most dynamic styling or the upper dash texture, but they have always been excellent trucks.

223301[/snapback]

I really liked how the rail system will allow a soft tonneau cover to be installed on the top of the bedrails...then pulled off and use attachments such as the ladder racks...the SEMA show also showed what looked like "backrack" attachment too. So, I leave the soft cover on the bed of my truck currently when I'm not hauling (used during the week when it plays commuter vehicle), then on weekends or vacations when I haul with it, I could install the variety of rack attachments...the ladder racks would let me put the kayaks on the racks and then have space in the bed for coolers and gear on my camping trips....very cool. GM did a good job on the "truck" details...even the E-Z-Lift tailgate seemed worth the extra 100 bucks.

I crawled all over the 2007 Tunda 4x4 Limited prototype at the autoshow and liked the Chevy and GMC more...and I spent about 45min going back and forth comparing the Toyota to the GMC. Toyota seemed to benchmark the Ford and Dodge for it's truck, not the GMs. My dad has a 2006 Acura TL (6MT) and 2006 Infiniti G35 and even HE liked the GM trucks better than the Toyota!

My gripes were small on the Sierra: the glovebox and center console seemed a little cheap, mostly because they lack any foam backing on the plastic (a dynamat type backing would help a lot)...the Buick Lucerne is the same way with the console. Also, I want the two-tone leather seats from the Tahoe Z71 package with the all aluminum dash trim offered on the pickups as well. And finally, I want the option of the on/off road tires with white letters offered with the Z85 suspension package...currently you have to get either Z71 or Vortec Max packages to be "allowed" to get those tires, WTF? (I'd also prefer Bridgestone Dueler A/Ts instead of the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S they're using...)

The interior and build quality details are the obvious differences between the 800s and 900s.  However, you really need to DRIVE the truck to appreciate the improvements GM made...particularly if you drive it back to back against another pickup.  The ride, acceleration (w/the 5.3), braking, steering, etc of the 2007 Sierra SLE crewcab were all vastly improved over the 2006 Sierra x-cab I test drove in July and my own 2000 Sierra x-cab (w/the 5.3) that I drove to the dealer in.  The backup sensors are WAY cool too!  The Z71 suspension on the one I test drove felt a lot like the Z85 on my truck...much better than the Z71 on the 2006...which I'm guessing is related to the improved frame.

Has anyone even looked at the bed???  The bed rail system is better thought out than the Nissan system as GM's bolts into the sides of the bed, not the bed floor where dirty loads like dirt and mulch will gum up the rails (even with the rubber covers on).  The deeper bed is also better thought out than the F-150 as you can still reach items in the bed by reaching over the side...Ford made the sides of the bed too high to do that.

How 'bout the improved clearance in the engine bay to reach the front of the motor for maintenance vs. the 800s?  The extra battery mount in the engine bay?  The fold-up rear seat with no latch to pull?  There's also usable floor space when the seat is folded...unlike the F-150 and the new 2007 Tundra, which has sharp metal brackets and the jack, etc using up floor space.

223298[/snapback]

When I looked under the hood the first thing I thought was wow this is as much room as my dad's old 77 GMC. Remember those days without all the extra stuff. You could set in the compartment and work on the engine.

Someone mentioned the difference in driving from a 2000 Silverado and the 900's. My first Silverado was a 2001 and then the 2003. And I was amazed how much better the 03 drove. It just felt so much tighter, like they say they are alwaying making improvements.

By the way my friend with the 06 Tundra thinks the new style is the most ugly thing he has ever seen.