No more AMT !!

Are there any plastic model builders here ? I was just reading on a model car group that I belong to that there will be no more AMT plastic models. I guess because of poor sales but this is a real shame and disapointment to the model car community. Hopefuly another company buys the molds and continues to produce them.

Are there any plastic model builders here ? I was just reading on a model car group that I belong to that there will be no more AMT plastic models. I guess because of poor sales but this is a real shame and disapointment to the model car community. Hopefuly another company buys the molds and continues to produce them.

I've read a number of articles about it...most likely, RC2 will sell off the AMT brand and tooling at some point. RC2 has done a poor job with them since they bought ERTL (AMT's previous owner) a few years ago.

It's too bad, I probably have 700 or so AMT kits (from 1958 issues to the present) in my collection...

mrmonte, do you know anyone that builds models? Way back in the early '90s I used this guy in Texas to build me three models ('91 Trans Am GTA, '55 Chevy Cameo, and '69 Olds 442). Of course I didn't use him after that and lost all contact info. About 2 years ago at a mall-sponsored toy show, I met a guy who builds all kinds of models, but he has not responded to two e-mails I've sent (maybe he's no longer doing it?). Anyway, I have three models that I'd like to have built - two are resin based - and just need someone that builds models for extra cash. Any leads that you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

I love bulding models... WTF happened? That's a huge hobby!

I love bulding models... WTF happened? That's a huge hobby!

RC2 (formerly Racing Champions) is a diecast company primarily..the went on a buying binge over the last few years, bought ERTL (previous owners of AMT) and Playing Mantis (owners of Johnny Lightning) and really don't have a clue it looks like as to how to make a profit on model kits... I suspect they are looking to unload AMT to another company...I suspect someone else will buy AMT within this year.

Since RC2 bought ERTL/AMT they let go of most of their design staff... except for the Chrysler 300C and new Camaro concept, the new kits developed under RC2 have been pretty bad (the F&F Eclipse, Supra, Evo, 350Z). Otherwise, they've been doing straight reissues and modified reissues of old AMT/MPC tools.

I hope to see the AMT name carry on; I've been building AMT models for almost 30 years and have many that are older than I am (dating back to their 1958 annuals).

The oldest models in my collection are AMTs---an AMT '58 Edsel ht, and several '59 annuals--Impala ht and convertible, Bonneville ht & convertible, Invicta ht & convertible, a Galaxie ht, and Edsel ht & convertible.

Edited by moltar

I like building the old reissues to tell you the truth. But there were lots of good new releases in the past ten years too. I hope somebody body buys them and comes back full blast. I like Johnny Lightnings too I think they have done a good job with them but not a lot of new castings.

• 4 months later...

Most of the models I've built are Revell/Monogram, I've build a few AMT models, and I can say that I didn't really like them, dunno what it was, but always seemed less detailed, yet harder to build than a comparable Revell/Monogram model. I still build them when I can, matter of fact, I've got a 1:72 scale F-14D Super Tomcat that needs to be built, along with a few others that I wouldn't mind building. My #1 that I've been keeping a lookout for is a 1:12 scale '69 Camaro.

• 4 weeks later...

The hobby has been dying out for the last two decades or so.. I know virtually no one my age IRL that builds models besides myself..it's mostly older (40s, 50s, 60s) men. I've been building since childhood in the late '70s, probably have about 1500 unbuilt 1:24/1:25 scale kits, and 300 that I've built.

Kids today just aren't into a sedentary, tactile hobby like building models..they have way more sports, video games, etc...

Edited by moltar