Bill would make cars kid-safe

Variance

Bill would make cars kid-safe

In a bid to keep children safer, automakers could be forced to install rear-view cameras and power windows that automatically reverse under a bill to be introduced today.

The Cameron Gulbransen Kids and Cars Safety Act -- which U.S. Sens. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., and John Sununu, R-N.H., will introduce at a news conference today -- is named after a 2-year-old New York boy who was accidentally run over and killed in 2002 when his father backed his SUV out of his driveway.

"Nearly every other day, a child dies in the United States from a completely preventable tragedy -- backed over by a driver who could not see behind (the) vehicle, strangled in a power window or killed when an automobile inadvertently shifts into gear," Clinton said on the Senate floor in December. The bill "will help to ensure that America's cars (are) properly equipped to prevent these tragedies from happening."

The Detroit News

More cost to the consumer.

In light of what happened to my family last week, I'm all for protecting children. But the benefits of a camera are minimal. The driver must responsibly use his mirrors to determine whether there is a child behind the vehicle, not buy a car with a $500 camera and a $2000 nav screen.

I could understand enforcing the power windows and a shifter lock, but I think most (if not all) manufacturers have the shift lock already.

Edited by aaaantoine

No bill or government law will make cars "kid safe"!

The only thing that will make kids safe is drivers that pay attention to driving, not talking on the cell phone or reaching for that cigarette (distractions that take their focus off driving). Another kid safe practice is to be a real parent and watch your kids, know where they are and what they are doing, at least until they reach an age where they should be somewhat responsible on their own. It isn't a perfect world and sh*t happens.

I lock all the power windows when my grandson is in the car. My wife yells at me to unlock them so that he can lower the window when he wants to. I won't do it unless we are stopped or she's sitting right next to him and not on the cell phone. It's just common sense.

I feel terrible about the kids that have died as a result of these accidents, because they should not have happened, but all the backup TV screens and transmission interlocks in the world will not save lives unless the parents use them properly.

Finally, if you go to the Kids and Cars.org web site, you will find connections to Ralph Nader and Consumers Union, yet there's no description of who is funding this organization. I wonder why?

No bill or government law will make cars "kid safe"!

The only thing that will make kids safe is drivers that pay attention to driving, not talking on the cell phone or reaching for that cigarette (distractions that take their focus off driving). Another kid safe practice is to be a real parent and watch your kids, know where they are and what they are doing, at least until they reach an age where they should be somewhat responsible on their own. It isn't a perfect world and sh*t happens.

+1

I'm really sick of these regulations. Some guy backed over his kid...well, how about paying more attention to your surroundings? Maybe if you weren't so worried about your latte and your Bluetooth earpiece, you would've seen your child running behind the vehicle. You kid strangled himself to death with a power window? Where the f@#k were YOU? Why isn't the child properly restrained? Why are you allowing him to crawl up on the armrest in the first place? You know how hard it is the shift a car into gear with the current brake-shift interlock? Its f@#king impossible. Now you want a foot on the brake to turn on the ignition? Why not enter your 4-digit pin code? Why not induce a biometric scan before starting the car?

Where does the nonsense end and personal responsibility begin?

According to Senator FlyBrian, we are going to add Bill of Responsibility to the Bill of Common Sense.

I remember the saying Blame it on the Dumb Guy, this is what happening, but apparently the dumb Milfs and Duds, are blaming it on the Auto Company. Why don't you simply hire a chauffeur if you cannot drive?