Asians oversell horsepower

Advertised horsepower is at or near the top of the list of importance for bragging rights. Car enthusiasts remember and tout published horsepower ratings all the time. Car enthusiasts sell their less informed friends and family on vehicles all the time, and horsepower ratings are almost always mentioned. Toyota and Honda are guilty of fudging the facts, it seems to me.

In the end this just reinforces my belief that 95% of the time an American consumer looking at a Japanese car has a more affordable and better value equivelant in a GM product. Some Current examples: Avalon ----- Impala Civic Si ----- Cobalt SS Maxima ----- Bonneville Tundra ----- Silverado Mazda 6 ----- G6 GT Sienna ----- Uplander Pilot ----- Trailblazer Camry ----- LaCrosse Miata ----- Solstice RX330 ----- XLR The Japanese just kep cutting corners & shoveling $#it but most American consumers seem to be too dumb to notice. Where's FOG anyway? He should chime in o this one. ;)

Of course.... that was a brain fart. Did I mention I hate these new acronym inspired names? G6, SRX, ESV, DTS..... <_<

Folks you are forgetting one thing. The two most popular Japanese cars are the 4 cylinder versions of Camry and Accord. People who buy these two cars could care less about HP. All they want is a refined, dependable if somewhat bland appliance transportation that will take them from POINT A to B. I bet most of the CamCord customers don't even know how much HP the engine produces. Incidently, I think the Accord actually gained 6 HP. It is now rated at 166 HP. The V6 version is rated at 244 HP. So not all Japanese cars actually lost power. Nissan is the one company that seems unaffected by the new rating. I have a hunch that Nissan is underrating the Titan. Most comparos put the Titan's accleration equal to or better than the Dodge Ram HEMI. FOG Where are you ? I am beginning to miss your posts. Edited by andy82471

FOG Where are you ? I am beginning to miss your posts.

[post="2034"][/post]

Agreed. Posted Image

Guest gmrebirth
Nissan has yet to test most of their models using the new rating system ... if you look closely, some of the specs for the 2006 Nissan models are still using the older rating system. I'm VERY curious to see by how much the 3.5L VQ will go down in power, especially in cars such as the G35. Rumours suggest that Nissan notoriously overrated the VQ engine in the G35. I mean the 3.5L VQ ranges in power from 230HP in the Quest to 300HP in the G35 and 350Z ... and the engine is virtually the same in all these different cars.

Nissan has yet to test most of their models using the new rating system ... if you look closely, some of the specs for the 2006 Nissan models are still using the older rating system.

I'm VERY curious to see by how much the 3.5L VQ will go down in power, especially in cars such as the G35. Rumours suggest that Nissan notoriously overrated the VQ engine in the G35. I mean the 3.5L VQ ranges in power from 230HP in the Quest to 300HP in the G35 and 350Z ... and the engine is virtually the same in all these different cars.

[post="5230"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The specs for the 2006 Nissans have not been released yet.

And why are you assuming the VQ is overrated? In fact, if Infiniti is anything to go by, the VQ engine is rated accurately. See my earlier post and take note that the FX35 which uses the 3.5L VQ has not had its power rating drop:

http://pong.server2vh.com/~cheers/forums/i...=findpost&p=413

Guest gmrebirth

The specs for the 2006 Nissans have not been released yet.

And why are you assuming the VQ is overrated? In fact, if Infiniti is anything to go by, the VQ engine is rated accurately. See my earlier post and take note that the FX35 which uses the 3.5L VQ has not had its power rating drop:

http://pong.server2vh.com/~cheers/forums/i...=findpost&p=413

[post="5245"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Sorry, I meant specs as in some info regarding certain models like the 2006 FX.

The VQ is widely believed to be overrated in the G35 and 350Z ... it's not overrated in other models.

Nissan has not retested any models to the new standard, except for the FX45, so there wouldn't be any changes. Most European manufacturers conduct one test for both EEC (usually certified) and SAE hp ratings, as both standards were near identical until the latest revisions to the SAE standard. Media and company PR (GM included) have had problems with different units of hp instead, continental Europe using metric rather than imperial hp. Figures for the Cadillac BLS are metric, not US hp, for example. VW America has had regular problems forgetting it needs to convert from one unit of hp to the other. With few exceptions (by Honda) Toyota and Honda have largely cribbed Japanese test results (from memory DIN standard, probably now a Japanese variant of the similar UN ECE reg 85), apparently unaware that the tests were not to the SAE standard, nor US, but metric hp. With the new standard they have chosen to retest almost every engine, highlighting the discrepancy, but a quick comparison of the same models in Europe (with their lower EEC figures) will show what the "old" figures "should" have been. Even now, however, Honda seems to be misquoting EEC PS data as SAE hp for the new Civic 1.8 L. The revised SAE standard does not always produce lower figures. Since they now need to conduct seperate EEC and SAE output tests Jaguar is claiming an increase of 6 hp for the AJ34 4.2 L V8, as the SAE standard apparently allows for the trick "active" exhaust, which the EEC standard does not (effectively requiring a more restrictive exhaust setup than in the actual vehicle). Most countries have their own variant of ISO 1585, itself based on the SAE J1349 standard. GM do Brasil quotes a Brazilian version of ISO 1585, and Ford Europe usually specifies the ISO standard. 80/1269/EEC is also based on ISO 1585, but with some influence from ECE reg 85, effectively an updated versin of DIN 70020. SAE, ISO and EEC standards specify the same operating conditions and similar accessory setups. The ECE has the DIN standard's more favorable conditions, but with stricter (more explicit) accessory requirements. Testing must be carried out between specified temp. and pressure ranges (differing for spark and compression ignition engines) and the results "corrected" to the standard conditions using a rather complex formula. European manufacturers still quoting DIN as well as EEC figures probably use this formula to "convert" from the certified EEC results to the DIN standard, rather than conduct a seperate test. Unlike EEC results, which may be required for type approval in EU member countries, SAE test results do not have to be certified. Along with the revised SAE standard adopted by Honda and Toyota, there is now a seperate standard for third-party certification which GM is phasing in for new engines.