Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Traveling to Houston

Not I, but Ninety Eight Regency and a few others are Houstonians. However, of the large Texan cities, it is clearly my favorite. Be sure to go to Galveston on the Gulf and see the historic downtown and the Seawall to prevent another hurricane surge. Downtown has some neat architecture. The Montrose is the funky alternative district. River Oaks features the mansions of the monied elite. Westheimer Blvd. and the Galleria are big time shopping and offices. Rice University is a Southern Ivy type school with some nice restaurants nearby. And, there are gorgeous homes everywhere for ridiculously low prices compared to the coasts.

And I like it way more than Dallas (where's P-C-S? :duck:) because it's a lot pinier and closer to water, even though the beaches aren't particularly beautiful. Can you make a side trip to South Padre Island while there or extend your visit? It's supposed to be nice.

The only part of Houston I saw was in the Continental terminal at IAH while on my way to San Antonio. It was a pretty clean, almost bright and cheery airport, but then again just about all of them are compared to the grey dungeon that is JFK. I would like to go back to Texas again. I would've liked to see Houston, and maybe take in an Astros game at Minute Maid Park. I'd also love to spend more time in Corpus and head on down to SPI.

Not I, but Ninety Eight Regency and a few others are Houstonians. However, of the large Texan cities, it is clearly my favorite. Be sure to go to Galveston on the Gulf and see the historic downtown and the Seawall to prevent another hurricane surge. Downtown has some neat architecture. The Montrose is the funky alternative district. River Oaks features the mansions of the monied elite. Westheimer Blvd. and the Galleria are big time shopping and offices. Rice University is a Southern Ivy type school with some nice restaurants nearby. And, there are gorgeous homes everywhere for ridiculously low prices compared to the coasts.

And I like it way more than Dallas (where's P-C-S? :duck:) because it's a lot pinier and closer to water, even though the beaches aren't particularly beautiful. Can you make a side trip to South Padre Island while there or extend your visit? It's supposed to be nice.

I have a condo on Lake Conroe, in Conroe, TexAss. About 40 miles NW of Houston. It's rented out now, my wife and I bought it when we were 1st marrried. Later we moved to Houston, but we kept the condo to escape the heat in summer. We had famous neighbors for years, Ryan O'Neil and Farah Fawcett, they lived 2 doors down, but they don't live there now. But neither do we! :lol:

Edit: Oh for you guys who live in Houston, I lived in West Houston, not far from Westhiemer / Dairy Ashford, zip was 77077 baby!

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

but we kept the condo to escape the heat in summer.

I lived in West Houston, not far from Westhiemer / Dairy Ashford, zip was 77077 baby!

You kept the condo to escape the summer heat...oh, that's funny now...frying pan into the fire as a water moccasin bites your ass. :lol:

That's where my friend lived - Dairy Ashford off I-10 toward Westheimer. He used to work for Exxon in an MBA-type job. I had to go to training for 2 weeks in Dallas (Las Colinas at Irving) and rented a car to go down there for the weekend in between the 2 weeks of training. I wanted out of Dallas real bad to get away from the dorky people at the seminar with me.

I love that name: Westheimer...

...there's only ONE...Calling Dr. Ruth...Calling Dr. Ruth. :lol:

Edited by trinacriabob

So... Galveston eh?

Should I pack my hot swim trunks and go guy shopping?

I don't remember it that well.

There was a main street that looked historical. Parking was easy to find.

The sand was not the greatest (kind of dark) and the Gulf of Mexico looked a little murky...certainly not like Florida. What I do remember is that it was November 1 (!) and I came home with a tan.

Been a while since you have been here to Houston huh??? Things have indeed changed. Houston is the 4th largest city in the United States and still growing. We increased by over 800,000 in the last few years. It has grown an expanded. Galveston is 1-45 South. You will go through several smaller towns to get there. I grew up in one of those smaller towns. It is one of the personal reasons I do not like small towns. I personally hate Galveston. The historical downtown he is referring to is called "The Strand" That is where a lot of tourist go to see stuff.

There is plenty to do inside the loop(610) and there are so many restaurants here it is not even funny. Downtown covers several areas called "mid town". I live in or around mid town. It covers one of our wealthy neighborhoods( River Oaks). The houses in Memorial are cost more now. Call Montrose what it was.. It used to be the gay neighborhood, and that is not what it is anymore. Since Houston is changing, Montrose has turned into an upscale urban type thing. It has lost its gayness. I think that is due part due to the acceptance gays have found in society(for the most part) They have 350,000 dollar town homes next door to historical older houses. A lot of the old has been removed to be replaced by the new. Downtown actually is happening after the 9 to 5 crowd. We have light rail that goes through downtown, and there are bars, clubs, areas, live theater and more. I have gone to some of these things. In Montrose there are little restaurants and places you just do not see everywhere...

You must have some real Texas Barbecue. When I had my Canadian friend fly from Canada and go to Iowa and get my Ninety Eight and drive it back to Texas, he was blown away by Houston. What really blew his mind was the food. He said he never tasted food like that. He was beginning me to ship him some food back to Canada.

There is a lot to see and do off the Southwest Freeway (US 59), 1-10 ( Always backed up) and Midtown, Southwest Houston off Buffalo Speedway and Kirby and and more. The thing about Houston is it is spread out. Unlike other major large cities where they expand up, Houston is out. There is a lot of new construction off Kirby. If you want to see a constant stream of things to do, drive down Westheimer. You will not be bored.

The international festival was the last few weeks. You missed that. This year was China. I joked to people since they were bringing the best China has to offer, they should have brought some of those Chinese Buicks and Cadillac to display.

As for schools, Rice in in the Medical Center which is quite famous, University of Houston is here, and TSU, and many law schools and medical schools in the medical center. The area he was referring to where Rice University is is called Museum district. It is technically in Montrose. They have a whole lot of museums there. I used to go all the time.

You have no idea how much real estate has gone up inside the loop. Gas is ranging from 2.87 a gallon to a little over three dollars. Please understand too:

You will see multiples and duplicates of stores, gas stations and more. You will see also that the prices will not be the same depending on the area of town.

West University is quite nice too. They have restaurants, small little venues and a host of places in this one area. I have been back there. Friday nights are really cool there.

Memorial is nice too. A lot of wealthy people live there. The Heights is a old historical neighborhood. I have friends that live back there. It dates back to the beginnings of Houston.

Uptown is happening too. This is the Galleria area. This is on upper Westheimer near the 610 loop. The traffic is killer, but it is cool. They have the Galleria mall( very nice and upscale) and many places of interest there. This is where you will see a lot of new cars too.

Houston radio sucks bad... It is not like it once was.

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

The gay clubs are still in Montrose on the same street( Grant and Pacific) in Montrose. There are gay business back there still, but they blend in now. South Beach and JR's ( clubs)are next door to each other along with other bars on the same street.

I forgot to mention Richmond street too. It runs parallel to Westheimer. West Alabama too. These are other happening streets. I was back there yesterday.

You will find most of the gay people in the Galleria or uptown , at those clubs, on Westheimer, on Richmond, West Gray, West University and on the U of H campus and downtown at night, and in Mid town.

Let me see a photo of you here. I can tell you if you if you will have a chance of meeting people here.

Been a while since you have been here to Houston huh??? Things have indeed changed. Houston is the 4th largest city in the United States and still growing.

Ok, it was the early 90s or thereabouts. But at least I had the "lay of the land," right? I knew the general neighborhoods and the general directions.

And, I just got off the Houston MLS for real estate listings. $ 250,000 still buys you a respectable house in the suburbs...in Los Angeles, that gets you N-O-T-H-I-N-G.

For me, the price of real estate is reasonable.

Yes, I was aware of the Memorial Parkway area but have actually been to River Oaks.

I liked it...hands down over Dallas!

Let me see a photo of you here. I can tell you if you if you will have a chance of meeting people here.

LOL!

ouch? Posted Image

The ability to pick up guys hasn't been an issue for me.... not that it's a goal for Houston.

LOL!

ouch?

The ability to pick up guys hasn't been an issue for me.... not that it's a goal for Houston.

That is cool. I am sure you will enjoy your visit then.. I was not sure if you were looking to meet someone. I am not superficial, but unfortunately, there are others who are. You will have a good time..

Ok, it was the early 90s or thereabouts. But at least I had the "lay of the land," right? I knew the general neighborhoods and the general directions.

And, I just got off the Houston MLS for real estate listings. $ 250,000 still buys you a respectable house in the suburbs...in Los Angeles, that gets you N-O-T-H-I-N-G.

For me, the price of real estate is reasonable.

Yes, I was aware of the Memorial Parkway area but have actually been to River Oaks.

I liked it...hands down over Dallas!

Yeah.. a lot has changed since the 90's.. In a good way.. I am glad you liked it a lot.

That is cool. I am sure you will enjoy your visit then.. I was not sure if you were looking to meet someone. I am not superficial, but unfortunately, there are others who are. You will have a good time..

Nice save, Landis ! :AH-HA_wink: