Two-wheeled transportation

All right guys, I think its time that I get it out. I've wanted a motorcycle since I was about 14, but haven't every been able to procure one. Well, with me and the family moving about 50 miles from my current job site, and the price of gas climbing has finally brought my wife around. She's agreed to let me buy a bike. I've talked to a couple of people who own bikes and they all love theirs, which means I'll probably enjoy the hell out of mine since our personalities are all alike. But here's what I was thinking about buying. something between 1987 and 2007, 650cc-1100, cruiser-type bike, brand isn't preferential (sp?), and most importantly looking to spend no more than 3k for it. I've had my eye on a couple of Yamaha V-Stars, one's a 650 and one is a 1100, I've also looked at a couple of Yamaha Viragos and they all look like nice bikes, I just want my friendly fellow C&G'ers to give me an opinion. Exact specifications for the bike are to follow.

Years: 1987-2007

Displacement: 650-1100cc

Type: Cruiser

Price Range: NMT $3000.00

Drivetrain: Shaft Drive (will do a belt, but will NOT take a chain-driven bike)

Saddlebags: Not required, but a set would be nice

Windshield: Yes, but not full fairing, just a windshield

Well, there it is....gimme an opinion on this one, really guys, I wanna know!

I've been toying with the idea of buying an old coworker's 1970 BMW R75/5 for quite some time now and just may pull the trigger if gas prices go completely insane

The only thing to watch out for is that bike prices normally rise exponentially compared to fuel prices. So a bike that normally blue-books at say 2900 and gas prices are around 2.50 or lower, you'll probably pay that, but if gas is like it is here now, at 3.05 a gallon, you're looking to spend at least 3500 if not more on the same, normally 2900, bike.

I'm looking at Suzuki SV650S's right now. From what I understand they are great bikes, and especially good for beginners. They can be had rather cheap as well for a fairly new one.

Sounds like it'd be a good bike. I dunno what it is about the Yamaha Star-series bikes, but I just like the way they look, and so far, I've heard/seen rave reviews about them, so I'm thinking I may go with one of those first, then work my way up to something I'd really like like a H-D Electra-glide.

Yeah, I know that they are, but I haven't really seen any Honda bikes that really grab my interest all that much. I know that they are reliable bikes (know several people who own them, haven't complained at all), but they just don't really reach out and grab me, you know?

Well today was a good day, I got off work, went to one of the local bike dealers and kicked a few tires. I really like the Yamaha Star series of bikes, and of course, I like a good many H-D's, too bad most of them are WAY outta my price range, even used, but I did get to sit on a 2005 Yamaha XVS1100, and I have to say that it just felt "right". The bike is extemely well laid out, all the controls are easy to reach and of course the one gauge (all you need with a bike, cept for a fuel gauge) is well, HUGE and easy to read. Guy said that they just got that one in, and it'll probably end up going for about 8k, definitely over what I can spend, but at least I know that if I get a Star-series bike, I know how it'll ride, since they're all essentially the same frame with different engine/"interior" options.

To be perfectly honest Camino, if I could afford a Harley, I would, but I can't, so I ain't. My only ponderance right now is that most of the bikes I'm really interested in are about 5k-8.5k, but the question is, should I settle for something around 3000, or maybe 3500 IF I can find a bike for that price that I like, OR should I save up about 3-grand and use that as a down payment on a nicer, more expensive bike and get financed........hmmmm?

BV, that's what I'm looking at. Most of the V-Star Classics (650cc V-twins) are going for about 5200, the lowest one I've found so far is one for 3500 just north of here, but I doubt that it'll be around when I'm ready to purchase within the next 6 months. However, some of the 1100cc bikes are more appealing to me since I'm a bit of a large guy and I would ocassionally tote the wife around on the back of it, adn really a 650 wouldn't get up and go with both of us on there. I don't want a new bike as my first bike, I want something that's used as far as my first one is concerned. Once I get into riding all the time and everything like then, then I'd possibly buy new.