Need Gm trivia Help

I would like to learn about as many GM "high performance" and "oddball" special cars as possible.

For instance, the 66 W-30 tripower Cutlass, a very rare bird. GM even built one that was turquoise with a yellow vynal top and a red interior so that it would show up well on the dragstrip.

Olds Achieva SCX, rare, rare bird, like the Neon ACR but much, much rarer.

Or the "Heavy Chevy" 71 Chevelle.

Or any of the other quad 4 specials.

Or the "Anniversary Olds" that was build for olds 50th anniversay in very limited numbers in the 1950's.

Or the first OHV pontiac V8's.

Or...

But I am having trouble finding info. Library searches are reaching dead ends. I read Automotive Quarterly and Hemmings but they are only so-so at being helpful.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Chris

There are so-oo many, it would almost be easier to pick a Division and concentrate there.

I have a really excellent 'overview' book called Muscle Car Chronicle (ISBN 0-7853-7670-4); if you start with any book, pick up that one- excellent pics, covers all domestic makes' performance models (plus many race/drag cars) from '49-'01. I highly recommend it for the volume of pics alone.

Pontiacs I know very well- there at least I can answer most any specific performance question you can toss out.

Edited by balthazar

Stuff like the Lesabre Grand national is the kind of stuff I'd like to learn about.

Balthazar-Do you know much about the early 1960's Pontiacs, especially Grand Prix models?

It has been forever and a day since I have seen one of the early Grand Prix cars. Back in 93 or 94 wehn the 66 Stang was freshly painted I parked near one at a car show. Before that I saw two complete ones in a salvage yard in Muncie indiana in the late 1970's...and a stripped shell in an Ohio Salvage yard a few years ago.

Think we might have had one at the Dublin, Ohio Arthritus show a few years ago also.

Seriously, though, what can I lean/you tell me about the early 1960's Pontiacs?

Chris

Edited by 66Stang

>>"Balthazar-Do you know much about the early 1960's Pontiacs, especially Grand Prix models?"<<

Are you crackin' wise on me, son?

Seriously, I own a '64 GP, one of the 7 '60s Pontiacs I've owned. Lots of time spent around '59-66s. The Golden Era for PMD- I love 'em!

There's a mountain of info between my ears and my bookshelves. I couldn't even list general catagories in a concise manner... what do you want to know??

>>"Balthazar-Do you know much about the early 1960's Pontiacs, especially Grand Prix models?"<<

Are you crackin' wise on me, son?

Seriously, I own a '64 GP, one of the 7 '60s Pontiacs I've owned. Lots of time spent around '59-66s. The Golden Era for PMD- I love 'em!

There's a mountain of info between my ears and my bookshelves. I couldn't even list general catagories in a concise manner... what do you want to know??

Not sure how true this is, but I heard that GM had built 3 prototypes of an Oldsmobile version of the GTO. They were sent to a contractor who was supposed to crush them. He crushed 2 -- and saved 1. He later tried to sell the unit and GM sued him to have it crushed.

Never heard of the '64 Olds 'GTO'... Olds intro'd the 4-4-2 in '64, so there must be more to the story... or a lot less. ;)

My '64 has the standard powertrain (303/389, RHM375, 3.08 open rear), but the car is a low-miles loaded (PS, PB, PW, AM-FM, PAnt, cruise, tilt, A/C, and more) original (56K miles). It's a real solid survivor, but it needs a go-thru and paint (Starlight black, black Cordova top, black bucket/console interior). I have Tri-Power & 8-lugs for it, but at this point I don't when/if I'll get around to it- other projects are in front of it, unfortunately. I missed picking up a super rare Hurst His-n-Hers for it off eBay last year- I'd still like to get one of these units (the first manu-matic ??)