Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Flybrian

1976 Buick 455 Rochester 4bbl rebuild...?

9 posts in this topic

So...any of you vintage ironheads want to educate a fuel injection guy a little on how to rebuild a carb? :)

Thank you. That told me everything I needed to know. Your knowledge stuns me. :rolleyes:

:P:D

Among 4bbl carbs, Q-Jets are easy. That said, it's far too complex to describe step-by-step on a message board. :D

In general: take your time, do it all in one session, keep everything cleaner than clean, have at least 2 cans of BrakeKleen on hand if you don't have access to a parts washer, get a quality kit, tiny plastic-bristle 'bottle brushes' are handy, don't ever assume the tiniest part 'isn't necessary', keep a tight grip on the C- & E-clips, ....

On second thought, I've rebuilt Carter 2- & 4-bbls, Rochester 2- & 4-bbls, Holley 4-bbls AND I have my own parts washer. If you decide you'd rather farm out the job, I would be up for it.

It's rather easy Fly.

Step 1: Collect underpants

Step 3: Rebuilt Carb!

You will be surprised at not only the number of parts involved, but also how small many of them are.

If your car has a "Thermo quad" (early attempt to reduce emissions) throw it out and replace it with an Edelbrock. Those carbs took a good serviceable design and ruined it and they aren't worth rebuilding.

Buick never used the Thermo-Quad on the 455. In fact, I've always only associated the T-Qs with MoPars.

What was the name on the ones the G-bodies used?

I can't remember.

Electro-quad?

On second thought, I've rebuilt Carter 2- & 4-bbls, Rochester 2- & 4-bbls, Holley 4-bbls AND I have my own parts washer. If you decide you'd rather farm out the job, I would be up for it.

:thumbsup: Wow. Very much appreciated, Balthazar! I will defintiely let you know.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0