Good review of the '07 Sebring Convertible

derrado

Carpoint is Australia's best motoring website (Drive is pandering rubbish), and their reviews are always very, very fair and balanced. They're never as pretentious and arrogant as British reviews, biased and poorly-written as Motor Trend reviews, or dull and boring like all other American reviews (don't believe me? Pick up an issue of Top Gear mag and CAR and read them back-to-back with MT and C&D)

They just reviewed the '07 Sebring Convertible, which goes on sale here in a few months. Although things are looking bad for Chrysler and their products have appeared to fail terribly, perhaps we have been wrong? The ultra-touchy Brits haven't moaned too much about the new Chrysler/Dodge/Jeeps, and I've read good or at least average assessments on the new Compass (good at everything except interior quality and low-end grunt), Sebring (needs some softer plastics, more powerful engine). The Avenger allegedly has terrible, floaty handling but I read that in a British mag and the Nitro doesnt' receive much critiquing because it offers a very unique package. The Caliber is seen as mediocre, and it is amplified by the great competition it has.

I'm not sure what to think of the newest Chrysler Group offerings. I intend to check out the big Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge dealer in town in the next few weeks, just to get some first impressions. At the very, very least, these new cars are mediocre.

Carpoint's 2007 Sebring Convertible review:

http://www.carpoint.com.au/car-review/2720950.aspx

Maybe because of traditional Chrysler Corp woes? Also, the mid-size segment is a lot more competitive and dominated (eg Camry, Accord, Altima) than in Australia, where it's a tumultous segment with no clear winner in sales.

Over here, the Sebring offers something different than over there. If they just sold it with a manual and the bigger V6 here, I would be looking at getting one used down the track. The individual styling, huge features list (they have really loaded it up over here!) and such would help overcome the traditional CC woes.

Maybe because of traditional Chrysler Corp woes? Also, the mid-size segment is a lot more competitive and dominated (eg Camry, Accord, Altima) than in Australia, where it's a tumultous segment with no clear winner in sales.

Over here, the Sebring offers something different than over there. If they just sold it with a manual and the bigger V6 here, I would be looking at getting one used down the track. The individual styling, huge features list (they have really loaded it up over here!) and such would help overcome the traditional CC woes.

So one guy that wants a bigger V6 with a manual transmission.....and might buy one used down the road? :scratchchin: No offense, but I think that's why Chrysler didn't target you as a potential customer.

You know, I never thought I'd say this, but the Sebring's grotesque styling is somehow growing on me, especially in convertible form.

I'm shocked!

So one guy that wants a bigger V6 with a manual transmission.....and might buy one used down the road? :scratchchin: No offense, but I think that's why Chrysler didn't target you as a potential customer.

Who did they target, Dollar?

C&D also had some really nice things to say about the Sebring's build quality and overall materials appearance in their 'vert comparo...of course, it placed dead last to the Stang and G6, but it was interesting comentary, nonetheless.

The Sebring and Avenger are a disaster, period, and I'm saying that as a Mopar guy. What a huge, expensive, hideous, wasted opportunity. They're ugly, they're not fun to drive, and the interiors are a mess.

I'm surprised the fleet number isn't more like 80%, with the remaining cars all going to employees or those with supplier discounts.

I do not dislike the Sebring. In fact, I was checking one out some time ago because the wife wanted to look at the Dodge Caliber, so we stopped by a Mopar lot. I really like the Sebring's interior, and the exterior isn't terrible, just not contemporary.

The car was definitely designed to be a convertible, though. That's the better looking version by far.

Edited by aaaantoine

Pretty sure I didn't say anything at all about targeted consumers. Don't be so curt.