GM Europe sales reach record highs thanks to Chevy

GM Sales in Europe Grow on Korean-built Chevrolet Success
Posted Image
Link to Original Article @ The Auto Channel

FRANKFURT July 9, 2007; Reuters reported that General Motors sales outgrew the broader European car market in the first half as a surge in demand for its Korean-built Chevrolet brand cars offset a hefty decline in Saab sales, the automaker said on Monday.

GM Europe increased vehicle sales by 5.3 percent to a record 1,127,871 units, the European division of the U.S. carmaking group said in a statement, adding that market share rose by three-tenths of a percentage point to 9.6 percent as the total comparable market grew by only 2.1 percent.

"Our different strategies for Western and Eastern Europe are allowing us to maintain sales growth while also continuing to improve our revenue performance and the overall quality of our sales," said Jonathan Browning, GM Europe's vice president for sales and marketing.

Last month, it boosted unit sales by 10.3 percent to 214,918 vehicles as car buyers in central and eastern Europe flocked to the low-price Chevy brand.

According to GM Europe, June marked the 50th consecutive record month for Chevrolet, with its range of affordable cars like the Nubira, Matiz and Kalos previously sold under GM's Korean Daewoo brand.

Chevy sales jumped 34 percent in the first half to 215,315 units, easily outweighing a 10.7 percent drop in sales for its struggling Swedish brand Saab to just 45,275 cars.

The larger mid-market Opel/Vauxhall brands grew sales by a marginal 0.8 percent to 863,303 vehicles helped by a 50 percent rise in sales of its revamped Corsa subcompact, which accounts for over a quarter of sales for the two sister nameplates.

GM Europe also distributes Cadillacs, Hummers and Corvettes to customers but their combined first-half sales constituted just a fraction of a percent for the division.

Take that, Detroit Free Press. :booyah: Why doesn't this get wide coverage over here? OH, that's right: they'd rather print doom and gloom pieces about GM going bankrupt to scare more consumers from considering GM.

Take that, Detroit Free Press. :booyah: Why doesn't this get wide coverage over here? OH, that's right: they'd rather print doom and gloom pieces about GM going bankrupt to scare more consumers from considering GM.

Methinks it was the Detroit News with the gloom and doom, but no matter....A 5% rise in Europe on the backs of Daewoo castoffs vs. a 20% retail drop here in the states....which is more newsworthy?

C'mon man. When you start accusing DN or the DFP of media bias, you're simply in denial. (And the DN piece, IIRC, was a columnist's opinion, not a 'news' article in the strictest sense of the word.)

Note that the article YOU highlight also mentions Saab's decline & the fact that the HUMMER/vette/Caddy sales were basically too miniscule to matter!

Good News about GM = Parade :congrats:

Enzl = Rain :soapbox:

This is good news for GM. GM has made significant accomplishments on two continents (Europe & Asia.) With a strong foundation of well built Chevrolet & Opel cars in Europe, it’s only a matter time before people begin to take notice of GM's premium brands. Cadillac is finally rolling out diesels, which the lack of them alone has been Cadillac's largest single drawback in the European market. It looks like GM's situation in Europe can only continue to improve. :thumbsup:

Good News about GM = Parade :congrats:

Enzl = Rain :soapbox:

This is good news for GM. GM has made significant accomplishments on two continents (Europe & Asia.) With a strong foundation of well built Chevrolet & Opel cars in Europe, it’s only a matter time before people begin to take notice of GM's premium brands. Cadillac is finally rolling out diesels, which the lack of them alone has been Cadillac's largest single drawback in the European market. It looks like GM's situation in Europe can only continue to improve. :thumbsup:

You can make fun of me....but I don't see the usual suspects jumping in, so I guess although my message doesn't suit your tunnel vision of GM and its true prospects, I may be right?

I've had plenty of positive things to say about GM....perhaps you should reread a few of my posts. The difference between my view and yours is that I believe drastic action needs to be taken....the ship is taking on water.

If you want to accentuate REAL good news, why not discuss the Delphi resolution or the game changing agreement with Dana to eliminate future healthcare cost issues with a Union-run trust (after Gettlefinger lied on Autoline Detroit about 'not knowing enough' about such agreements 3 weeks ago!)

The european Chevy sales figures are completely misleading. They've taken a lackluster line-up of Daewoo's and marketed them as Chevy's....so, their 'record' sales figures are compared to a fading Daewoo...additionally, if you look at Opel carefully, you'll see that they are selling smaller cars @ less profits, as the Vectra is awaiting renewal and their upmarket ideas like the Signum were flops.

If Saab is your 'upmarket' brand and Caddy sits above it, both have been spinning their wheels for years. Caddy was supposed to sell 10k+ BLS's/yr. They'll be lucky to sell 10% of that figure! No diesels mean no sales at the larger end of the spectrum and the Hummer has been victimized by virulent anti-war sentiment in Europe.

That's what really is going on...and when you combine that morass with a 20% drop in retail sales here in the states (especially GMT-900's, painfully)...that's much more significant and newsworthy than Chevwoo's and Opel's smaller models doing 'well'.

And just to be clear, its the 'media bias' issue I was trying to undermine, not GM's 'good' news...Accusing hometown papers of that is absurd to the point of indefensible, so I guess that's why you had to attack me personally, rather than try reason or facts, which are both heavily stacked against you.

You can make fun of me....but I don't see the usual suspects jumping in, so I guess although my message doesn't suit your tunnel vision of GM and its true prospects, I may be right?

I've had plenty of positive things to say about GM....perhaps you should reread a few of my posts. The difference between my view and yours is that I believe drastic action needs to be taken....the ship is taking on water.

If you want to accentuate REAL good news, why not discuss the Delphi resolution or the game changing agreement with Dana to eliminate future healthcare cost issues with a Union-run trust (after Gettlefinger lied on Autoline Detroit about 'not knowing enough' about such agreements 3 weeks ago!)

The european Chevy sales figures are completely misleading. They've taken a lackluster line-up of Daewoo's and marketed them as Chevy's....so, their 'record' sales figures are compared to a fading Daewoo...additionally, if you look at Opel carefully, you'll see that they are selling smaller cars @ less profits, as the Vectra is awaiting renewal and their upmarket ideas like the Signum were flops.

If Saab is your 'upmarket' brand and Caddy sits above it, both have been spinning their wheels for years. Caddy was supposed to sell 10k+ BLS's/yr. They'll be lucky to sell 10% of that figure! No diesels mean no sales at the larger end of the spectrum and the Hummer has been victimized by virulent anti-war sentiment in Europe.

That's what really is going on...and when you combine that morass with a 20% drop in retail sales here in the states (especially GMT-900's, painfully)...that's much more significant and newsworthy than Chevwoo's and Opel's smaller models doing 'well'.

And just to be clear, its the 'media bias' issue I was trying to undermine, not GM's 'good' news...Accusing hometown papers of that is absurd to the point of indefensible, so I guess that's why you had to attack me personally, rather than try reason or facts, which are both heavily stacked against you.

You apparently get easily distracted during your rants. When I'm comfortable with my opinion on some of the above subjects that you've pointed out, I'll post them in the appropriate topics... that is IF they haven't already been clearly stated. My focus is on Chevrolet's European sales, so I won't comment on some of them here like you feel the need to do... in several other topics too... over and over again. Broken Record? Maybe.

You're one of the few members here who rush to a positive GM posting to put a negative spin on them... and I read your posts... albeit fewer and fewer as the days continue with your near incessant doom and gloom for General Motors. ---

As for the comment against "lackluster Daewoo-rebadged" Chevrolet line-up... Maybe you should refresh your memory of how long GMDAT has existed (5 years) and how many new/remodeled Chevrolet products being offered in Europe were never sold there (or in the US) as a Daewoo. You purposely ignore how much better the new products are over the Daewoos we saw here in the late 1990's... but that's expected from you.

You apparently get easily distracted during your rants. When I'm comfortable with my opinion on some of the above subjects that you've pointed out, I'll post them in the appropriate topics... that is IF they haven't already been clearly stated. My focus is on Chevrolet's European sales, so I won't comment on some of them here like you feel the need to do... in several other topics too... over and over again. Broken Record? Maybe.

You're one of the few members here who rush to a positive GM posting to put a negative spin on them... and I read your posts... albeit fewer and fewer as the days continue with your near incessant doom and gloom for General Motors. ---

As for the comment against "lackluster Daewoo-rebadged" Chevrolet line-up... Maybe you should refresh your memory of how long GMDAT has existed (5 years) and how many new/remodeled Chevrolet products being offered in Europe were never sold there (or in the US) as a Daewoo. You purposely ignore how much better the new products are over the Daewoos we saw here in the late 1990's... but that's expected from you.

Oh my! :blink:

Umm...I don't recall all of my above points being rehashes...but I will defend my 'gloom and doom'...

I would love to paint a pretty pic of what's going on with GM or US manufacturers in general, but its a complete waste of time talking about GM without putting their situation into the real context.

you're entitled to disagree.

Here's Chevwoo's European Lineup....http://www.gmeurope.com/brands/chevrolet.html

Looks an awful lot like it did a few years back at the name change...only the Captiva (Vue) is remotely competitive...I'm reality, Man. You just haven't faced it, yet.

Edited by enzl

help me out. wasn't toyota or honda sucking in europe. yet, gm can make gains.

the euros would rather buy peuguots, fiats, citroens, renaults.....they don't blindly love asian products over there.

And GM is #1 in Brazil, too, which is considered by many economists to be one of the 3 best places to be for a car manufacturer over the coming years.

What makes me get crazy in these "GM-versus-the-World" pieces is that Japanese apologists either discount or ignore the sheer overwhelming push that Toyota, Honda and others have made in the North American market of late. They are not trying the same push in either Europe, South America - or their own backyard.

We can debate whether GM builds crap or not until the cows come home, but I challenge someone to explain to me why is it that only in NORTH AMERICA is General Motors in free-fall? Of course, part of the explanation is that with 50% market share a couple decades ago, GM had nowhere else to go but down, but I think the 'blame' (if we should call it that) seeme so lay squarely at our own atittudes that dictate ANYTHING imported is better than ANYTHING we can do or build.

I am not going to blindly bash anyone on this board, Enzl and I have had our differences :AH-HA_wink: , but I do enjoy the discourse. If everyone agreed with me, I might feel smug, but I would be bored and lonely here!!!!

Edited by CARBIZ

And GM is #1 in Brazil, too, which is considered by many economists to be one of the 3 best places to be for a car manufacturer over the coming years.

What makes me get crazy in these "GM-versus-the-World" pieces is that Japanese apologists either discount or ignore the sheer overwhelming push that Toyota, Honda and others have made in the North American market of late. They are not trying the same push in either Europe, South America - or their own backyard.

We can debate whether GM builds crap or not until the cows come home, but I challenge someone to explain to me why is it that only in NORTH AMERICA is General Motors in free-fall? Of course, part of the explanation is that with 50% market share a couple decades ago, GM had nowhere else to go but down, but I think the 'blame' (if we should call it that) seeme so lay squarely at our own atittudes that dictate ANYTHING imported is better than ANYTHING we can do or build.

I am not going to blindly bash anyone on this board, Enzl and I have had our differences :AH-HA_wink: , but I do enjoy the discourse. If everyone agreed with me, I might feel smug, but I would be bored and lonely here!!!!

I'll try to answer your question regarding GM and NA.

Some have nothing to do with GM....

1. GM had nowhere to go but down in this country with a historical high of 50% of the market--simple math--you're 100% right

2. This is the most competitive market on the planet...and also the most profitable for most manufacturers

3. We have a relatively open market, with small tariffs

4. Our national government is oblivious to trade issues or willfully ignorant

Some have everything to do with GM:

1. Product has been lackluster, especially in the P&G exile years

2. Dealer body is bloated, poorer & less motivated than the import competition

3. GM has consistently ignored its global attributes to please its local fiefdoms

4. GM made awful investments in partnerships that drained $ needed for other things (Over 5 Billion wasted on Fiat, Isuzu, Subaru alone)

Keep in mind that the worldwide numbers for GM are encouraging, but in most of these 'growing' markets, GM is either recapturing lost marketshare (Europe), or hasn't had a real presence until recently(eastern Block, China), so of course you're going to have these % increases and 'best month ever' stories (the same that drive you crazy in Toyota Press releases, but I digress...)

Ven is just wrong about GM in Europe. Check the link...those products are either the same as 3 years ago when they were badged daewoo's, half-hearted refreshes or global product (Captiva) that were developed for 4 brands or more! Factor in the average transaction price that a euro-GM is selling for and the fact that Opel/Vauxhall have been in decline for years and I just don't see a huge positive in those numbers. Any accountant will tell you that numbers are easy to manipulate for a purpose...in this case, GM selling about the same amount of cars in Europe as 5 years ago at a lower price/unit, across an additional dealer channel (Chevy), a costly revamp of Saab still ahead and Cadillac floundering doesn't spell success in any sustainable measure I can think of.

Edited by enzl

• 2 weeks later...

GM Sales in Europe Grow on Korean-built Chevrolet Success

Posted Image

Link to Original Article @ The Auto Channel

According to GM Europe, June marked the 50th consecutive record month for Chevrolet, with its range of affordable cars like the Nubira, Matiz and Kalos previously sold under GM's Korean Daewoo brand.

This bit stuck out, so I thought I'd quote it.

I don't care what they are selling. As long as they are selling. Good for them GM has other work yet to do in America, but I am not here to bash what a sucess this has been for GM. Someone made the point the Daewoo brand in America sucked the line-up is far better now! Hell Buick China even sells the Excelle the same car pictured above in good numbers. It can't stink that bad or people wouldn't buy it in China none the less while paying extra for a Buick badge and trim etc.

Edited by gm4life