Should Honda make a full-size chassis?

LosAngeles

I know you guys are HUGE Honda haters, but this is something I was kicking around in my mind. Even with the gas prices the way they are now, big cars seem to be making a comeback. I was thinking that Honda should build a rear-drive chassis intended for big cars and the V-8 (whenever they DO decided to build it). The Honda brand car (called the Inspire) would be longer than the Acura RL and the Acura version (the FSX, named after and similar to an old luxury concept sedan) would basically be a LWB car suitable for limo conversion, fit the upcoming V-10, allow for the reclining back seats, and come in as the new Acura luxury flagship. Great competition for the LX cars, the Zetas, the 7-series and S-class, and most importantly in Japan, their Toyota and Nissan counterparts. This chassis could even revive the Prelude as a 2+2 grand touring car. Flame away.

I agree and disagree. I do think Honda needs this and the V8, but from the sounds of it, you want atleast the Acura version to be huge. Limo capability, V10, reclining back seats?!?!? Holy hell... is it's direct competition Maybach? How about keeping about Chrysler LX sized... no bigger, and with the V8. Keep with Acura's sleek and stealthy styling and refined interior. As for the Honda version... Basically the same size as the Acura would be. Make a V6 standard with the V8 being a high-end option. Styling wouldn't be bland, but wouldn't stray too far from Honda's usual. Same with the interior. Idk about a Prelude, though... This chassis seems way to large for a Prelude. And it really never was a 2+2 grand tourer. The idea of a V8 is fine, but a V6 would do it well anyways.

Just because everyone else is doing it doesn't mean Honda needs to do it to be successful. Sure a V8 RWD Luxury Sedan larger or similar to the TL would be a nice addition to the Acura line up, and would undoubtably sell well, that isn't what they need right now neccessarily. FWD has always been a better setup for economy and consumers that don't track their cars (which consists of, what 99% of luxury sedan buyers??). Buyer's appeal for RWD is based solely on the "image" and the fact that previous sporty cars and BMW's etc, have always been RWD. I think the Acura TSX has already proven time and time again, that FWD is a workable layout if done right.

I'm not saying FWD is better than RWD, I'm just saying, for 99% of buyers, it will work exactly the same, and may keep some of the less experienced drivers from ending up in a ditch.

This is the Honda concept FCX. It will be a hydrogen fuel cell-based full size sedan. This is the direction Honda will most likely be going for their non-sports cars. People may bash them for this, but Honda is without a doubt looking to the future and may be taking some hits for not being like everyone else right now. Do you think V8 RWD luxury sedans are always going to be around?

Posted Image

Edited by siegen

OK, OK, hold on, people, I'm not talking about the Inspire having to be a luxury car or the FSX having to be this land yacht rivaling the Town Car. My thing is that Acura doesn't really compete with Mercedes and Lexus, and Honda may as well complete their bread-and-butter trifecta....so why not kill two birds with one stone, and go where they've never been before. BV, reclining back seats were done on lowly Toyota Crowns way back in the late 80s...OK, maybe not reclining like a La-Z-Boy, but they were definitely adjustable. That's the degree I think an Acura can introduce to the U.S. market, and stay sane. Limo capability means simply making the car worthy of stretching, which obviously the pedestrian RL is not. Basically a better-looking President/Century for Asian government types, and something good for our executive livery here as well as your average luxury customer. A real flagship. The Acura (FSX) doesn't have to be a 230" monster, or even the size of the last Chevy Caprice, simply something four inches longer than the Honda variant (Inspire), which itself would be fine at an international-size 197". The Honda doesn't have to be armed to the teeth, just be ready for the 300, Crown, and Avalon. No one has to even know it's rear-drive....and just because it is doesn't make it inefficient. When making a new chassis, there's nothing wrong with doing something different.

Not everyone here is a Honda hater. I used to be until we got one. We love it. No other car has the little feature the Honda has. It has raised our standards beyond anything they ever were. Great cars, and we'll continue to buy them. About the topic now. I agree. I think if Honda made a full size car above the Accord with V-6 and V-8 power it would definitely put a serious dent in Toyota Avalon sales, as well as the new Impala and Ford Five Hundred. I'd go for an Acura version would be cool, and with a V8 or V10 with cylinder deactivation that would be ok with mileage. I know it would have alot of cool technological features on it like XM traffic and weather built right into the NAV, and probably a version of the SH-AWD that Acura is going with nowadays. I think they could play up there with the big dogs. Chief

Let's see Acura try to make a real car out of its RL first before diving headlong into the real flagship material.

[post="24890"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

What makes you think an RL isn't a real car? Take a look at this Detroit News review. They liked it and they are definately a domestic biased magazine.

Given the car's under-4,000-pound curb weight, the output of the 3.5-liter V-6 is more than adequate to give the RL the feeling of having a V-8 under the hood. In fact, the 4.6-liter V-8 in the Cadillac makes only 20 more horsepower, while the 3.2-liter V-6 in the Mercedes is rated at an anemic 221 horsepower.

The so-called SH-AWD system gives the RL an overwhelming sense of stability and security that is lacking in many of its high-performance competitors.

The car gets 18 miles per gallon in city driving and 26 mpg on the highway. In comparison, the new Cadillac STS V-8 all-wheel drive sedan returns only 16 mpg in the city and 22 on the highway, and is subject to a $1,000 federal gas-guzzler tax.

The RL is a high tech car. It handles among the best for it's size, it's fast due to it's light weight and high output engine, it's roomy, it's everything a high class Luxury sedan should be. Some people don't like its looks. I think it looks great because it isn't incredibly flashy or laden with chrome.

The Honda could use a SWB, FWD version of the Accord to compete with the Avalon, perhaps.

[post="25050"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

There are already are shorter version of the Accord....called TSX and TL.

No.They should leave the large car to Acura. They don't want to risk taking
a large bite out of Accord sales..

They could always make the Accord a little bigger if they had to..

would be hard to say if anyone would pay 40k+ for a Honda...

[post="25104"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Let me clear my stance up a little.

Our TSX is the world's Accord....our Accord is Japan's Inspire.

In effect, what I'm really seeking with a full-size, rear-drive Inspire is to be the next generation of Japan's Inspire, while giving every market a true big Honda that's more basic than the Acuras. The next Accord can be another world car bigger than the TSX, but not the beast that is what we use for our current Accord (their current Inspire).

The car doesn't have to be 40 large, though we all know people WILL pay that these days.....

Acura keeps its toes from being stepped on by making a longer-wheelbase car on the same chassis, dubbed FSX, its flagship. In basic, the largest car IS left to Acura. This same chassis can even yield a new Acura coupe (the CL name is gone, so maybe it can be a CSX or something). The TL can move into the RL's territory, AWD and all; the TSX and RSX can be merged into the next compact Ac, whatever they want to call it.

The same chassis can even make for the next Odyssey for the world.

Anyway, back to the main point, big cars don't always have to be luxury cars...if that was the case, the Chevy Impala would be the plushest, most high-tech thing the world has ever seen.