DeLorenzo

auto extremist

read the first two bits on this page. I more than agree with what he is saying on both topics here. Toyota's new hybrid ads are full of pomposity and also, the highlight on Japanese protectionism and currency manipulation, well, maybe we're about to hit the wave here soon where folks get a little anti-japan sentiment. I'm ok with some Japanese car bashing, personally.

"Not only will the grass be greener, you'll see more of the world, you'll live longer, your days will never end, you'll see forever, and you're going to die if you don't start driving a Toyota with Hybrid Synergy Drive. What? You didn't get the memo? That's the unmistakable and not-so-subliminal message in the new corporate ad campaign from Toyota, hyping its Hybrid Synergy Drive."

"General Motors. Is GM finally waking from its slumber and taking the gloves off? GM and U.S. lawmakers blasted Japan for arbitrary and discriminatory trade policies last week in Washington. And it's about time." Edited by regfootball

how nice of you to chime in with some sophomoric humor. in the spirit of the topic, i'll wink and nod. by the way, i have shown my Diamante a couple times for sale recently, and I am looking for someone would buy it. Its been a good car, but I'm bored with it and looking to get something new. More specifically a Ford 500 or Freestyle most likely, although a new Galant is a possibility as well. I guess I am mainly interested in bashing Toyota today more specifically since their entire operation is smug and produces dull lifeless cars. What I liked about the article here from DeLorenzo was the notation of the biased press and the protectionist practices of Japan. Edited by regfootball

Check out a Montego over a 500, Reg. They come off as a million times classier, IMO.

[post="25048"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I like em both, they have the comfortable geriatric styling and seating positions. Contrary to the press as a whole, the 500 and FS are actually kinda zippy with the CVT. I saw my first Fusion tonight, and its sharp..but, I think the virtues of the 500's larger upright cabin still make it just as desirable.

Actually, I've been reading some reader letters into DeLorenzo and a guy is commenting on the issue of auto journalists being biased and and increasingly out of touch.

That would make a good thread. Lately you can't read an article in print or on the web for a car review, that isn't either repetitive, laughably obviously biased, misleading, obsessing about not important shit, or written in a pompous tone.

maybe its time to start that thread. Edited by regfootball

Lately you can't read an article in print or on the web for a car review, that isn't either repetitive, laughably obviously biased, misleading, obsessing about not important shit, or written in a pompous tone.

Don't forget all 3 at once! ^_^

[post="25145"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It sure will suck for the Lienerts and Jobs and (whoever that dick was for the LA times) to have to go flip burgers for a living. I wouldn't mind if they replaced about 2/3 of the Car and Driver staff anymore these days. I've enjoyed Motor Trends resurgence and their makeover has made them cutting edge and relevant. Road and Track is simply the timeless standard. They do well still, I think. Automobile has their ups and down to me. Most of the schmucks writing for the newspapers and some websites like Edmunds will do us all a great service to quit and get a job at Wendy's. Edmunds especially, I'd bring in an entire rpelacement staff for those schmucks. INCLUDING forum moderators there.

I do like James Healy from the USA today. I would keep him. Edited by regfootball

I agree with most of what you said, except for R&T. I seldom pick it up because they traditionally never review anything appealing (to me), and when they do it's often with some of the greatest bias I've ever read. Perhaps that has changed in recent years. It sits far from 'timeless standard' in my experience but perhaps I need to give R&T another shot.

Toyota's ad is partly right. Hybrids aren't just to get better gas mileage but to also lessen emissions. Without all the CO2 and other crap coming out of exhausts the air would be cleaner, there would be less haze and we'd probably live longer. There would be less asthma, lung cancer, etc. I doubt less emissions would mean seeing more of the world, greener grass or never ending days but there would be some advantages. We just can't see the advantages because we've been using normal technology since the car was invented. It would be interesting to compare a world where every car was hybrid from the beginning and the current one. Edit: There is a huge difference between hybrids and normal cars when it comes to emissions. A hybrid Escape is so much more cleaner than a normal Escape, even if it doesn't get the EPA MPG estimates. Edited by sciguy_0504