Olds Intrigue

avro206

Anyone have any experience with these cars?

General reliability? How is the 3.5L DOHC V6?

I drove one a few years ago and loved it. Far better then the other W-bodies IMO.

I am thinking of ditching my 07 Cobalt to save some cash.

thoughts and comments appreciated.

do you have a payment on your Cobalt?

My family had a 2000 GLS model. Best car we ever owned. 100,000 miles with only 13 oil changes (changed whenever the car told us to via the oil life system) And over that 100,000k the only other maitenance done was to give it a new battery, 1 new set of tires and 1 new set of pads and front rotors.

WE recently sold the car to my friend and he's been loving it. IT's a bit dinged up from city use and it floats a bit because it's still using its original suspension but it has beenthe most reliable car we have ever owned. The 3.5 is still smooth and powerful as ever even though it's due for a tuneup that it hasn't had yet and it still returns 20 city 30 highway. From what I've heard with this engine is that the vast majority of them are as relaibe as the 3800 but something like 1 in 10 is a lemon and will burn oil and become a money pit. They tend to show these symptoms early in a cars life though so if you find a well taken care of intrigue with 40k or more miles on it that drives fine and isn't burning any oil I'd say go for it.

My wife owned a '98 with the 3800 SII. It was the first batch of production, too, so it had a few problems over it's lifetime (A/C head unit was replaced under warranty, 1 or both rear power window motors was replaced, and I had to repair one rear seatbelt retractor), but no other issues. Car was comfortable, had good power and it is missed today. Traded in with 105K.

I drove one a few years ago and loved it. Far better then the other W-bodies IMO.

You're not kidding. It is an absolutely beautiful car, not only in looks but in ride, handling and such...especially for FWD packaging.

The Consumer Reports dots don't seem to report problems with the 3.5 V6 (post 2000) though I would always prefer a 3800, simply because it's a known quantity to me.

If you like the car, and have to go used, then do it. Make sure you keep a spare $ 1000 or so aside for an intake manifold or other problem on any Intrigue having over 75,000 miles...or any other car with that many miles.