Extended GM warranties....

I was running errands and also popped into a Chevy dealership. They were refreshingly nice. I asked about 08s and there weren't too many on the lots. I then asked how much the extended warranty would be. Now, keeping in mind that the powertrain warranty is 5/100, the extended warranty for everything else to go 6/90 with a $100 deduct nudges $1,500 for a basic Impala 3.5 and $1,400 if you do the $200 deduct. Yikes...I was expecting $1,000 to $1,100.

I bought the extended warranty for my Regal when there was basic 3/36. It was the 6/72 and it cost me about $ 700.

What's the deal? I mean, the powertrain is now up to 5/100. Why so much for the balance?

Is this just the retail price that can be dealt down? Any thoughts?

Absolutely can be dealt down. (And i would educatedly guess, probably $300-$500) Like everything else at your dealership, warranties are marked up. Also, never buy the warranty with a deductible. If your business manager can give you comparative costs, and the dealership is consistent in its markup, three, maybe four visits are the difference between a deductible and not.

That being said, your best bet is to purchase the warranty with the car. I know you can wait until the end of your factory warranty to purchase more, however, like everything else, the cost of warranty goes up every year, so you're likely to get it cheapest at time of purchase. Also, not sure about the US, but in Canada there is a point where you can ONLY purchase the deductible warranty once you drive the car off the lot, so you've narrowed your choices.

Von, your warranty wasn't outrageous. $1500 for repairs up to 150,000? Really and truly, that's a good deal. You've got worry free driving for 8 years, and roadside if you need it. When you consider how much the cost of some of those repairs will have gone up in 7 years, you've in theory, locked in all your automotive repairs at today's prices. (we all know that $1500 in repairs can happen pretty fast when you factor in shop prices, so you definitely did okay!)

That doesn't sound like a GMPP warranty to me. GMPP does not offer an 8 year warranty. We've tried 'after market' warranties and they are a HORROR. There are lots of things they don't cover and just getting an adjuster to show up can cost a lot of time.

That doesn't sound like a GMPP warranty to me. GMPP does not offer an 8 year warranty. We've tried 'after market' warranties and they are a HORROR. There are lots of things they don't cover and just getting an adjuster to show up can cost a lot of time.

The one for the Malibu MAXX is GMPP, Like I said, for some reason the terms escape me, I'll just go to my glove box and check it out.

EDIT: Checked it out, it's 6/160K

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

carbiz, that was my first thought too. Then i figured if he meant the car came with a 5 year and they added 36 months, he's got an 8 year warranty. I'm not so sure on the "bumper to bumper"part for the duration, tho... so his original post made sense even though he's corrected it.

Edited by staceface

I'll just make sure it's 100% cleared up because I've obviously made a mess of the topic...

My MAXX is 2006, so no 5-Year Powertrain warranty on that car. I then extended the whole thing From 3/60K which came with the vehicle to a GMPP 6/160K Plan w. the 100$ Deductible after 60'000Km... for ~1500$