Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bowtie_dude

I just changed my own brakes!

6 posts in this topic

Saved myself about $230, too. Brakes had been jumpy for a while and I was just dealing with it. Its like driving a whole new car! :lol:

Question though...is it normal for them to smoke a little after use when they're brand new?

No, it's not normal. Did you run them really hard right after the install? They do have to wear-in but normally that doesn't involve smoke. If they perform properly, there are no funny noises, and they stop smoking, you should be fine. If it keeps up, something is wrong, put it back in the air and check them out. Hopefully you haven't "purpled" the rotors or glazed the pads.

No, it's not normal. Did you run them really hard right after the install? They do have to wear-in but normally that doesn't involve smoke. If they perform properly, there are no funny noises, and they stop smoking, you should be fine. If it keeps up, something is wrong, put it back in the air and check them out. Hopefully you haven't "purpled" the rotors or glazed the pads.

Yeah, when I took it around the neighborhood to check'em out, I stomped on them a little hard. They behaved fine, no odd noises or anything. No brake fluid anywhere either.

Is there an accompanying smell, and if so what is it? Did you take the coating off the rotors before you put them on? Some manufacturers spray a rust-preventative clear protectant on them so they don't rust in storage. If you didn't, that smell could be coming from that coating burning off. Put the car up in the air, take the rotors out, and spray some brake cleaner on both surfaces of the rotors and that should take care of it.

Good thinking,Z.

If that coating is some type of oil, you might have contaminated the pads. That's not good, but pads aren't very expensive, so if that happened -replace them.

Is there an accompanying smell, and if so what is it? Did you take the coating off the rotors before you put them on? Some manufacturers spray a rust-preventative clear protectant on them so they don't rust in storage. If you didn't, that smell could be coming from that coating burning off. Put the car up in the air, take the rotors out, and spray some brake cleaner on both surfaces of the rotors and that should take care of it.

Yeah, I sprayed the rotors with brake cleaner when I put them on, so I don't think thats it. I think I just rode them a little hard on their first use. Didn't think about them needing to be broken in first. I'll keep an eye on them, though.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room