Is it REALLY about the people?

A conversation with a fellow Monte Carlo enthusiast prompted this query. Ruffling feathers is NOT the intent ... just kinda curious if others have noticed this, too....

We were talking about how some events are well attended ... and others aren't. It seems that the well-attended ones are those that offer some type of trophy/award/reward for participation; the ones not-so-much-attended are the gatherings/drives/spur-of-the-moment plans that are "just for fun", with no awards/plaques/etc.

Yet, many times, we hear/read people note that the gatherings really ARE about the people, the friendships, etc. ... the awards are secondary. Sssooo, if this IS the case, why is it so hard to get people to attend "for fun" gatherings?

I know I've set up several "for fun" gatherings in the past [a visit to Meadowdale Raceway International Park; a drive out to Galena IL, south from Dubuque IA to Davenport IA and then back up north in IL; among others] that have garnered some interest, but not much. And, I know others have done similar things around the country, with similar results.

Yes, some areas DO have great cruise nights that are well attended, but not too many. So, maybe it is a regional thing?

*shrugs*

I don't know....

And, yes, of course, we understand that "life happens" and people are not always able to get together ... and have to make choices based on available vacation time and other responsibilities, etc.

And, no, not including road trip-related gatherings here ... those are different ... at least, in my opinion.

So ... thoughts ... agree? Or, are we way off base with this observation? Guess I'm wondering if setting up a "for fun" gathering early this fall (like those I've set up in the past) is worth it....

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Someday slowly turns to never" ... Tanya Tucker ... 'Soon'

I don't know if it's a regional thing or not, However cruise nights are a big deal in the south, especially here in VA. Maybe it's just the people attending. Around here we have a restaraunt with a 1950's theme, they have a cruise night every Saturday, it gets loaded with people and all kinds of cars. Maybe you haven't found the right group of people, or the right place.

The thing about cruise nights ... it, as Future noted, is mostly older guys. But, in addition to that, people at cruise nights don't tend to stay at one cruise night for long ... people move around ... and, thus, you don't get a chance of really meeting and/or getting to know them....

*shrugs*

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

"I hope you remember me" ... Our Lady Peace ... 'Somewhere Out There'

I've found out that, when it comes to Corvettes, it's not about the people OR the trophies.

It's about "My Corvette is worth more than your Corvette. I'm better than you. Your car is crap. You're crap." I've had to hear stories about how a 400hp tri-power is worth more than a 435hp tri-power because fewer 400hp tri-powers were made (I have documented prooof that the 435hp tri-power is worth more, not that I care), and how some 66 Corvettes came through the assembly line with only one fender emblem, and therefore those are worth more than the ones wih two fender emblems. Who gives a flying F? Not me. I'm just happy to be living out a childhood dream.

I guess I'm a bit jaded though...

I tried to get involved heavily with a cruise night here locally when I was 19 or 20 (Mind you, I had both of the Camaros) and the club wouldn't have anything to do with me. They'd all just kinda brush me off when I tried to get involved and volunteer for things multiple times. I'm guessing it was because of my age.

Now it'd probably be virtually impossible based on apperance alone as I've progressed more toward the greaser/ heavy metal look and we all know what retired people think of that. I dunno, I don't mean to come on here and throw stereotypes around or make it out to sound like older people aren't cool (because most of them are -- I get along with them a lot better than most of the import driving idiots that are my age) but it's just frustrating to try and get involved with something you're so passionate about and being judged based on your looks or age.

[/end :hijacked: ]

No, I have to agree with the above two rants. Its hard to get involved with a car club because it tends to mostly be a bunch of old folks with Electras meeting at Dennys and complaining about their grandkids, how much nicer it is up in New England (move back?), and how everything post-1973 sucks. Granted, this may have literally been a few seniors on their day out of the home because they weren't affliliated with any actual club or anything, but I'd almost hate to be 'odd man out' in terms of my intentions - which is to have fun, check out other cool ____s, and promote the history of cool ____s.

I agree, too.

But, while I have (sadly enough) been the receiving end of some of those "you don't belong" type statements and gestures, I can also note that I've had experiences very much opposite of that ... wonderful experiences with older people at the cruise nights around here. Some of them have become good friends, though, since I haven't been to a cruise night this year, I haven't seen them much. Still ... I know that if I called them up, we'd catch up in no time....

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

"Nowadays you can't be too sentimental" ... Billy Joel ... 'It's Still Rock And Roll To Me'

My brother used to belong to a Chevlle club that never wanted his car around because it wasn't completed (a work in progress). He left that club quickly.

On the other hand the Camaro Club we belong to wants to see all four generations of Camaros and even gives props to other cool cars. Our Skylark always gets some attention as do many other cool cars.

I have noticed that many of the Corvette Clubs can be very snobby but there is a local one that is run by some pretty cool people.

The local Grand Prix group spends most of their time hanging out together and drag racing, not many shows. Tammy and I used to belong but since we sold our 2K GTP we aren't technically members. We still get invited to events and have a fun time with the group.

I guess it is just the club or group you find that can make the difference. Our shows are well attended but I have noticed that our X-Mas Party and many of our meetings and get-togethers are always popular, especially with the people who are the ones who are always there to help out if you need it.

Knightfan, I wish it was a lot closer to many of the people here. I would love to hang out with many here.

I would love to hang out with many here.

*nods*

As would I.....

Do you know what Chevelle club your brother belonged to?

A good friend of mine from the FGMC is also in the local Chevelle club ... and, the few people I've met from that Chevelle club have been genuine and down-to-earth people who don't seem to care what condition the car is in ... as long as you have a love for older cars.....

"I think it's about time you should know" ... Trick Pony ... 'Just What I Do'

Not sure what the name of that club was. Hey, it was way back in the late 80's.

For the last few years a local Corvette restoration place called Corvette & High Performance has put on a swap meet at the Puyallup Fair Grounds (state fair). Every year they provide space for local clubs and each year we spend time between Yesterday's Chevelles and El Caminos and a local Nova club (sorry, can't remember their name). We always have fun together and I constantly hear club members giving good advice and restoration and maintenance.

Our club has a tongue in cheek "Beater Brunch" each November with silly awards. It's just another excuse to hang out. We also have a get together to plan some events (a reason to watch football). Don't get me wrong, there isn't a huge showing at the 'just for fun' events but we can expect about 30-50 people each time and those are usually the ones that like to get together for any reason and usually the ones running the club.

We do have a large number of people who we will only see at shows, and some people who we never see at all. There are the snobs who act like they can't talk to you unless you have a special edition 69 Camaro. But those people don't have anywhere near as much fun as those who head over to the local cruise-in spot, or just get together to have fun.

The group of people I drove down to Reno for Hot August Nights with are people I can count on anytime and who open their homes and garages to others. These are the ones who will help fix you engine at 2AM, give you advice on drag racing, volunteer to run a show or help clean Highway 18, host and plan a party, listen to you, talk to you, and have fun with you. In other words, these people are the reason I stay with PNWCC.

The group of people I drove down to Reno for Hot August Nights with are people I can count on anytime and who open their homes and garages to others. These are the ones who will help fix you engine at 2AM, give you advice on drag racing, volunteer to run a show or help clean Highway 18, host and plan a party, listen to you, talk to you, and have fun with you. In other words, these people are the reason I stay with PNWCC.

That's awesome... I'm very jealous.

I'd love to be in a club like that, where I'd be working in my garage one day and friends just randomly show up (even if they just want to hang out)

I just love the hobby, doesn't matter if it's a beater or even a car that someone just pulled out of the field and threw tires on. I think a lot of that comes from how you enter the hobby. Many of the 'snobs' go out and purchase a $60,000 show car as their first foray into the hobby. Where as, people like us tend to build on our cars for years. My '73 was basically a field car with nice paint when I first got it --- Fast forward to now, 10 years later, and it still isn't completely finished.

Random story: I attended a local cruise night over the summer a few times. (just as a spectator) I saw a kid that couldn't be more than 16 or 17 out there with about an '81 El Camino. He seemed so into the club and 'scene' and I thought that was extremely cool. Naturally though, he seemed to be the outcast. :(

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Not sure what the name of that club was. Hey, it was way back in the late 80's.

Ah...no worries ... I understand :).

As for the club you are in ... I'm with Future on this one ... a bit jealous. I think one of the ladies on the El Camino list is in that group, too, but I'm not sure....

"The curves around midnight aren't easy to see" ... Rosanne Cash ... 'Runaway Train'