New Chevrolet website up

Dsuupr

I went to the Equinox, Silverado, Tahoe, Avalanche, Impala pages, and found a rear 3/4 view of Uplander on all of them. :angry:

May be they are working on it. :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by smallchevy

<_<

I liked the old one better. This new one looks less professional and cheaper. It also looks like they tried to steal a few design elements from Microsoft's website, but failed. The only thing that is good is the navigation bar, the rest is cumbersome and poorly designed.

The new Dodge website is a whole step ahead in terms of design. It works well, specially for the "tough" Dodge look.

As far as functionally goes, I may sound biased but I really like the new Honda website for its ease of use and fast loading. No drop-down menus is probably why I like it so much.

As far as I can tell from a little surfing, Chevy's overall layout hasn't changed...it's just prettier. That being said some design aspects look a little cheap and forced (the "glowing" borders for example. It does lag quite a bit on the G4 I'm using.

Honda's site does load quickly...but it's poorly designed. Every vehicle's page is completely different than the others with no cohesiveness to tie them together and let you know that it's one site. If it weren't for the Honda badge on the pages you'd think you were at a new site with every vehicle.

I've always like Dodge's site for it's cohesive design, choice of colors, good layout, well made drop down menus, and ease of use. It also feels right. You get the sense of bold, machoness from the colors and design that ties into the Dodge theme. Whereas Chevy and Honda's sites do nothing to reflect the personality, or mission of the brand.

My one gripe with the Dodge (as well as the Chrysler and Jeep sites) is that interior and exterior photos are not separated.

Edited by Dodgefan

Honda's site does load quickly...but it's poorly designed. Every vehicle's page is completely different than the others with no cohesiveness to tie them together and let you know that it's one site. If it weren't for the Honda badge on the pages you'd think you were at a new site with every vehicle.

On the contrary, Honda has done something that is very hard to achieve in design. Each page does not need to look identical in order to flow together, they need only have certain design elements in common to link them. Open up several different vehicles into a few different tabs and switch between them and you'll see what I'm talking about. The parts that need to be positioned to link the designs together are, while the rest is more open to design freedom.

On the contrary, Honda has done something that is very hard to achieve in design. Each page does not need to look identical in order to flow together, they need only have certain design elements in common to link them. Open up several different vehicles into a few different tabs and switch between them and you'll see what I'm talking about. The parts that need to be positioned to link the designs together are, while the rest is more open to design freedom.

Apparently "design freedom" involves some good some poor designs then.

Not enough of the site is tied together. I see what you are saying but it still feels a bit haphazard...oh well...it's better than Kia's site, or Isuzu's for that matter :P

What ever happened to good ol' HTML websites?! :P

I know huh. I hate flash navigation, yet more and more companies are using it. Every automaker uses it now to some extent; the entire new Chevrolet website is a big flash site. The problem with flash is it may be small in file size, but it loads slower than HTML, specially when you get little fancy "swoosh" effects on all the links (www.toyota.com, the worst offender). Also you can't ctrl-click open anything to a new tab, and you can't ctrl-tab to a different Firefox tab when a flash element in the current tab is active.

Need fancy buttons to pop up when you scroll over links? Need the bg color to change when scrolling links? That can all be done easily in CSS. There is something to be said about simple and effective HTML/CSS designed websites.

Take a look over at www.microsoft.com and what do you find? NO FLASH.... wow, real web developers, amazing lol.

After 10 years I've developed some pretty big pet peeves when it comes to design. <_<