Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Getting a lucky break to fix the break.

Yesterday my friend and I stopped at Lowell Used Auto to see if they had any Prizms in the yard that I could get the parts I needed off of: trunk lid, rear bumper cover, bumper reenforcement, and the left tail light.

I was telling how how it would be nice if I could find one the same color as ours...although it'd be highly unlikely...I've never see a Crimson Cloak Mica in the junkyard before. He told me he didn't think there'd be any way I'd find one the same color and that I'd have to settle for a blue or green or white or whatever one. Which I agreed.

As e walked toward the area where the GM products, including Geos, I noticed a red surrounded by Metros and stuff...I couldn't be sure right away because the missing headlights were deceiving, but low and behold, they had a Crimson Cloak Mica Prizm! Immediately I went to the office and told them I'd be back tomorrow to take parts from it and not to do anything to it.

Today (Friday) after class and bringing Jessica to see the `71 Caddy and chatting with Sixty8, we headed to the Junkyard, and for about 3 hours worked on getting the parts off. Good things he was their to give me a hand, especially keeping the trunk lid up while I unbolted it. It took about 3 hours, mainly because I couldn't find the damn repair manual for the car so I had to figure out how to take everything apart myself...the fact that it was 85 flippin' degrees (in October!) didn't help either. Eventually though, we got all of the parts we needed and with help from my friend, who showed up with is dad's Quest to take the bumper cover, we were able to get everything we need to fix the car....best of all the paint matches!

Originally, when I went their about a month ago for estimates on the parts they told me around $300...today I got them all for $200...I love this place...they're very nice (they helped me get the last bolt off of the bumper reenforcement), great prices, and always happen have what I'm looking for. It helps that I'm a good customer too :P

This is great, because as tight as money is right now, I doubt we could have the car repainted right away (although we eventually plan to). So for now it'll be the original paint, but it won't look mismatched.

Now it's just a matter of waiting until the 15th to bring it in to be fixed.

Oh yeah, sorry Sixty8 but it looks like they crushed the old Cadillac that had the rear end sawed off...I saw it yesterday but today it was gone. There was a 2nd gen Aurora there too...that was kinda sad to see such a nice car there.

Edited by Dodgefan

Lucky break, Lowell Used Auto is a good junkyard. It was HOTTER than hell today, esp. for Oct.

Yeah... the '60 Cadillac 2dr ht seems to have dissapeared. :(

Oh yeah, sorry Sixty8 but it looks like they crushed the old Cadillac that had the rear end sawed off...I saw it yesterday but today it was gone. There was a 2nd gen Aurora there too...that was kinda sad to see such a nice car there.

:( :(

Lucky break, Lowell Used Auto is a good junkyard. It was HOTTER than hell today, esp. for Oct.

Yeah... the '60 Cadillac 2dr ht seems to have dissapeared. :(

That car had better be getting taken apart by the junkyard or have been bought for parts by someone else because the entire car from the quarter panels forward was good, it had a complete interior, all good glass, and a complete 390 still in it!

But if it didn't, thank God whoever owned it before sliced off the last two feet of the back to make a couch out of it..... the only reason it wasn't complete and the reason it went to the junkyard in the first place! :banghead:

I am glad you got your lucky break. I was lucky like that after someone broke into my Ninety Eight a few years ago. They did not get the car or anything. They broke the rear door quarter window. I went to the far out junk yard, got the window frame in my friends Saturn ION, and came back and this mobile company install it with no problem. Looking at my car you would never know it came from a 1991 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight. I totally understand and feel you on your achievement. I hope that we can see photos soon. :)

I am glad you got your lucky break. I was lucky like that after someone broke into my Ninety Eight a few years ago. They did not get the car or anything. They broke the rear door quarter window. I went to the far out junk yard, got the window frame in my friends Saturn ION, and came back and this mobile company install it with no problem. Looking at my car you would never know it came from a 1991 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight. I totally understand and feel you on your achievement. I hope that we can see photos soon. :)

It's always rewarding to find the parts you want...it's even better if you can install them yourself instead of having someone due it...although i wouldn't know how to install a fixed window :)

Well I dropped everything but the bumper off at the Body Shop since they'd just take up space at the house , the bumper will go there Tuesday when I get it from my friend's house who is kindly storing it. I should take some more photos of the damage though, as all you guys saw was a few night photos while it was in the tow yard.

Of course, when it's all done I'll take plenty too :AH-HA_wink:

On another note, I love Armor All, that stuff got the small dirt/grease marks off the the back seat where the bumper reenforcement was resting. (I love a clean car)