Gravel trucks

I have an ax to grind with gravel trucks. They're constantly on the Don Valley Parkway, and I have no idea why, there are no gravel yards around. About half the time I see one, they have rock screenings flying out of the back all over the road, and this morning a rock about half the size of a golf ball flew out of the back of one, bounced loudly off my hood and again off my roof. I have so many little chips all over the place from these trucks. Why is this legal?? Shouldn't unsecured loads like this be some kind of safety violation?

Caledon township (not too far away) has a much larger problem with gravel trucks.

Isabel DiCeglie, 23, and her sister Vanessa, 19, were killed after their Honda Civic was crushed by a gravel truck as they were making a left turn from Airport Rd. on to Mayfield in Caledon. Vanessa, driving with her learner's permit, was on her way to take her G2 driver's test with her sister.

article

Apparently these gravel truck drivers who are driving down steep hills think that it's OK to just honk the horn and plow through when the light turns red and they don't have time to stop. These two girls were unlucky enough to think that red means stop for everyone.

If done properly it does. I haul stone often for my projects and make damn sure I'm not spewing stone on the highway. A damaged/ill-fitting tailgate can be a source of this problem as well.

The tarps that I've seen on trucks don't properly cover the top - they leave about a 6 inch gap running down either side of the top of the truck.