Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

I hate it when news people can't get their facts right

PurdueGuy

http://cbs4.com/local/Jorge.Pinon.energy.2.596732.html

First paragraph of the article:

In 2006, a documentary highlighted the brief history of the electric car. It was built by GM's Saturn division in the 90's, and sold in California. It could go 80 miles an hour - travel up to 95 miles - many believed it was the future.

Dur. The EV1 was NOT A SATURN, and WAS NOT BUILT BY SATURN. Its only connection to Saturn was that it was leased through their dealers. No Saturn badges, or anything. Why does it seem like no one ever gets this right?

It was an awesome car in many ways, but it irks me when people cant get basic facts right.

[/pet peeve]

http://cbs4.com/local/Jorge.Pinon.energy.2.596732.html

First paragraph of the article:

Dur. The EV1 was NOT A SATURN, and WAS NOT BUILT BY SATURN. Its only connection to Saturn was that it was leased through their dealers. No Saturn badges, or anything. Why does it seem like no one ever gets this right?

It was an awesome car in many ways, but it irks me when people cant get basic facts right.

[/pet peeve]

Typical Media: "It wasn't built by Saturn? But it was sold at Saturn dealers; Therefore, using media-logic it must have been built by Saturn too!"

My frustration is more with mind-numbing lack of knowledge... like when I was driving a friend yesterday on a hill... an Accord and RAV4 driver... who was watching my speedometer and made the retarded comment: "Typical American car, no control on hills, look, it gains speed when you coast down a hill! Both our JAPANESE CARS don't gain speed on hills like that TOYOTA is TEH PWNERS". It's okay though. When I got to his house, I put a hex on his RAV and wished sludge upon it. He proceeded to tell me that "from what he's heard"... My family is DENSE and MASOCHISTIC for driving GM vehicles almost exclusively since the early 40s.

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

My frustration is more with mind-numbing lack of knowledge... like when I was driving a friend yesterday on a hill... an Accord and RAV4 driver... who was watching my speedometer and made the retarded comment: "Typical American car, no control on hills, look, it gains speed when you coast down a hill! Both our JAPANESE CARS don't gain speed on hills like that TOYOTA is TEH PWNERS". It's okay though. When I got to his house, I put a hex on his RAV and wished sludge upon it. He proceeded to tell me that "from what he's heard"... My family is DENSE and MASOCHISTIC for driving GM vehicles almost exclusively since the early 40s.

oh no, not gaining speed going down a hill! how terrible! Point out to your friend that it's good for gas mileage to gain all the momentum you can from hills. You can always downshift to regulate your speed.

And he's your friend why? I'd be quick to point out the sludge problems, transmission problems, and How, after 3 tries, Toyota still can't figure out how to build a real pickup truck...even Nissan did it in 1 try.

My Asian friend likes to poke fun at American cars, not because he has a problem with them buthe knows it gets me going, which is fine, cuz it's fun. I quickly remind him of how his Dad's Quest had a wheel fall off on the highway, leaks oil, had the brakes catch fire once (his dad is an import humper btw), his sister's brand new TL had to have the transmission replaced a week after she bought it, his other sister's previous gen Civic coupe has died 4 times, and how all the things in his Corolla brake, oh and how the rear wheels almost fell off of it. :smilewide:

Edited by Dodgefan

He proceeded to tell me that "from what he's heard"... My family is DENSE and MASOCHISTIC for driving GM vehicles almost exclusively since the early 40s.

Tell him that any denseness or masochistic tendencies that your family may or may not have are NOT connected to your ownership of GM products. Edited by Hudson

The only car I've ever driven that did not gain speed downhill (including my old FIAT, my current Honda, and my friends VW and Toyota) was a Mini Cooper with that weird-a$$ CVT transmission, and I did not like the effect, thanks. That's why cars have brakes...