GMC close's the roof to the XUV

All Cars Central Obituaries: The 2005 GMC Envoy XUV Born: 2003 Died: Not Soon Enough! Well, it seems that the General Motors section has gone un-noticed for the last few weeks. That is primarily due to the lack of exciting news from our friends at General Motors since the mid-grade debut of the Cadillac DTS and Buick Lucerne doublemint twins at the 2005 Chicago Auto Show. The lack of posts in each respective article shows that GM is really stirring up excitement with us here at All Cars Central. However, if you jump over to GM, for obvious reasons, they are toasting the DTS and the Lucerne as the best thing since power windows and safety glass. Incidentally, both power windows as a standard option and safety glass were the work of the Ford Motor Company. Oh well, we'll wait and see if sales prove them correct? Anyway, the latest news from General Motors would stop the Blue Square Heart of a die-hard GM fan and bring cries of "It's about Damn time!" from everyone else. GMC is dropping the unloved GMC Envoy XUV which was supposed to be the revolutionary SUV with the retractable roof and the "Magic Liftgate", originally seen on the Ford Ranchero, that could opened three ways. Here is the whole article courtesy of AutoWeek to help describe the loss that we all feel. Yeah Right! Have Fun, and Remember, Stay Fabulous! RG59061 Quote GMC's sliding roof slides away; Envoy XUV didn't come close to sales predictions RICHARD TRUETT | Automotive News and RICK KRANZ | Automotive News Posted Date: 2/22/05 DETROIT -- So much for hauling grandfather clocks. General Motors has decided to kill the GMC Envoy XUV, an SUV with a power-operated sliding roof over the cargo area. The roof enables the XUV to carry tall cargo, such as a grandfather clock. That was touted in XUV advertising. Bo Andersson, GM's vice president for worldwide purchasing, told suppliers Feb. 11 that GM will stop Envoy XUV production at its Oklahoma City plant on March 31. He said the plant started production of the seven-passenger Envoy XL Denali last week. GM had high expectations for the XUV because of its versatility and novelty. The company was expecting the XUV to account for one-third of Envoy sales. Last year, that would have been about 45,000 of the Envoy's 134,897 total. But the five-passenger SUV's best year was 2003, when 13,873 units were produced in four months. Production started in September 2003. Only 12,390 units were assembled in 2004. This year, through Friday, Feb. 18, about 700 were assembled. GM does not break out GMC Envoy XUV sales numbers. The base sticker of the 2005 Envoy XUV is $30,465, including the destination charge. GMC is offering a $3,000 cash rebate. Last month Jim Bunnell, Pontiac-GMC's marketing general manager, said the automaker was nearing a decision on the XUV's future because of poor sales. "Pet owners absolutely love it, as do antique dealers and contractors, because it is so functional," Bunnell said. But he said families prefer seven seats. Pet owners like the XUV's cargo area because it can be washed out with a garden hose. Drains are built into the floor.

There was nothing wrong with this concept in principle....it's just that it looked so odd.  Ungainly proportions...from the 'Weiner Dog' school of design.

[post="2297"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That was my problem with it. When GMC announced this new innovative feature on a new Envoy model, I was excited. But once I saw the vehicle, I thought it looked oddly proportioned. I drove an '04 model at the 2004 Philly "Auto Show in Motion" and it rode and handled nicely. The dealership in which I leased my regular Envoy SLT had a leftover '05 Envoy XUV SLE 2WD model that the salesman told me they couldn't give away (hey, if it was free with the purchase of an Envoy, I would have taken it!). The sliding roof and midgate should have been engineered on the regular length Envoy - maybe it would have sold better and I'd bet it would have looked 10x better too!

As I said in another post elsewhere, the concept was good, but the actual execution was horrible! The features did not function as they should have. And the advertising was mis-directed. It should have been pitched as a pick-up with weather control, or the minivan with a skylite that wouldn't quit! NOT as a family station-wagon to just go shopping or carry the kids to little league!