A twist on anger

A day or so ago, this was the daily quote on the systems at work:

In any controversy, the instant we feel anger, we have already ceased striving for truth and have begun striving for ourselves.

I already know life is short, and I TRY to live like I know that, but sometimes things get in the way. This quote struck me as another way to "step back"...not that I'm able to always do that....

Thoughts?

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I should ask, but I won't" ... Rebecca Lynn Howard ... 'Forgive'

It's only common sense: in any 'argument,' as soon as you become emotional (and your temper) you automatically lose credibility. Passion is one thing, but name calling and screaming quite another.

Anger may be impossible to control inwardly, but controlling it outwardly is essential.

Our emotions effect our cognitive abilities. When we become angry, we stop trying to see others' opinions and points of view (which everyone has the right to have, if indeed the citizens of this country believe in freedom). If we force our views on others, then we are oppressing someone's truths that they believe, infringing on their freedom. Anger is a natural emotion, and if you let someone or something make you angry, you've given control to those who make you angry. It's not worth it in my opinion. I only get angry with those I love most. Others, they can believe what they want to believe, and do what they want to do. I'll hande it when it effects me effectively and calmy, so I can cognitively work through the best way to solve the problem. In the quote, I can see how anger can be selfish. Thanks for sharing it!

I can think of a Few people whO need to take this Great quote to heart.

LMAO!!!

I knew that was coming... And I probably deserved it.

But at least I'm not as bad as I used to be. *shrugs*

I was addicted to the "anger high" for a long time, and I still love it. But I have learned to take a breath once in a while.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

LMAO!!!

I knew that was coming... And I probably deserved it.

But at least I'm not as bad as I used to be. *shrugs*

I was addicted to the "anger high" for a long time, and I still love it. But I have learned to take a breath once in a while.

Hey FOG. St. Anger bud! :metal:

Since when are striving for truth and striving for yourself mutually exclusive concepts?

Bingo.

Heh ... I wasn't sure what to think of the quote when I first read it ... then kinda liked it ... then kinda didn't. So, thought I'd "put it out there" and see what others thought.

I do think it has value ... certainly an interesting conversation piece (imho, of course). But, I think if a few words were changed, I'd agree with it 100%....

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Maybe it's best you leave me alone" ... All-American Rejects ... 'It Ends Tonight'