lexus....prius?

just a small snippet i saw in my motor trend yesterday about lexus' "new" hybrid that will debut at 09 auto show

from motor trends website:

Toyota will present two dedicated hybrid models at the 2009 North American International Auto Show in Detroit; one a Toyota and the other a Lexus.

It's no surprise the Toyota will be the Mark III Prius. It's the Lexus that will be the shocker: a lifestyle wagonlike vehicle based on the Prius platform and drivetrain.

Meanwhile, the Toyota A-BAT is just a concept for now, but the truck is being evaluated as a potential addition to extend the architecture and powertrain plans for the next-generation Prius platform.

http://www.motortrend.com/future/future_ve...e_lexus_hybrid/

just put an L on it i guess

Edited by cletus8269

Jay Leno's garage has a sign up on the wall that says:

"More money than brains."

But in his case it's quite the opposite, his taste is impeccable.

A Lexus Prius would be something like:

"Stupidity to the Seventh Power"

I was at the Lexus dealer yesterday getting the IS300 serviced. I saw the salesman who sold me my car almost eight years ago and asked him if he had any IS-Fs and if they were selling with added dealer mark-up. He showed me the two that were in the showroom and said they do not sell vehicles for over sticker, that's it's bad for business. The sticker price for each was $61K, and I told him it was a good deal for what you get. I told him I would be more interested in getting a hybrid IS, and he told me that the LS hybrid doesn't make sense, but an IS would.

A Prius-based Lexus would be a letdown if it had the same cheap feel, but a couple hundred pounds of upgraded materials and more distinctive styling would do wonders and could make a worthy green Lexus.

A Lexus Prius would be great...efficiency with a nice interior. For a small car like that to be usable as a commuter car, I'd want a full-lux interior (I hate cheap gray plastic interiors most small, cheap cars have).

the first automaker to make a luxury prius or volt will score a huge hit. i can see a buick and cadillac hybrid sedan easily. The question is what are the priorities of these buyers. obviously, the prius is being used as an urban runabout, mostly. those people generally can also have a bigger SUV, the prius is thier daily around town car, the SUV comes up for necessity. there are plenty of well-heeld buyers who love the prius, love the tech, but could go with more upscale trappings and a great design. but at the same time they're not going to give up the confident powerful feeling from thier SUVs. When automakers can improve on existing battery tech, and introduce bigger cars that are still powerful and yet produce big mileage advantages, like 100% improvements, those will be huge hits obviously.

this wagon doesn't sound like a great fit. if it looks tinny like the prius does then it may hurt the lexus image more than help. if it's able to look substantial, elegant, and avoid exaggerated futuristic design themes while communicating something different for lexus, something youthful and a technological look [similar to the effect the Space Up concept had on VW, but a more luxurious expression]. it's all about priorities. a lexus hybrid buyer would still want something that looks classy and luxurious but also youthful for the hybrid newness feel.