Buick Bolero??

buickguy

If you follow the posts here closely (and I know you do), then you should know as much about this as they do. This is speculation on their part. For example, did you notice that they said, to the effect of, they are calling it the "Buick Bolero," because they don't think Buick would use the Excelle name. But there's no indication that "Bolero" would be the name. So to this "Consumer Guide" report, I say "Buick Baloney."

Edited by wildcat

I think the premise has validity, especially considering the recent Invicta video find; but I think that this is the equivalent of a chop, only in writing. Other than the potential of those two images being studies for such a vehicle, there truly is only speculation and rumor. The discussion here has spoken of the need for such a move, to follow gas price increases; being both pro and con for personal visions of compacts in Buick's future. I would like to see them, and I think necessity is going to dictate it if Buick is going to survive. After seeing those images in the video, particularly the coupe-like version with the fuzzy rear detail, I actually got excited about Buick building an X-6 competitor. The non-SUV CUV. The other looks to be a hard top roadster. Remember that GM has officially stated to expect unique, new offerings from Buick. Basically, think out of the box. Besides, Electra, Reatta and a host of other names would be far better for such a vehicle. A Buick Electra Hybrid compact?

I always say, "an article without valid quotes is usually not based in fact, its an opinion piece."

I mentioned in a post a good while back in the Buick Invicta Concept teaser thread that despite strong indication that it was the LaCrosse replacement, this same site had an article about the Invicta Concept stating that it would be a replacement for the Lucerne and had in their specifications page that it was Zeta based and gave other specs that would match a Lucerne. I see now that they have traded the article out for their take on the standard issue Buick Invicta press release. Pure speculation like this article.

Edited by InvictaMan

If Buick would offer a U.S. spec version of the Buick Excelle, why would it be on the RWD Alpha platform when the Chinese Excelle is a FWD car? I would think that the U.S. version (I think Regal is a good fit for this product if they properly design/engineer it to carry this moniker) would be on Delta II. A Buick version of an Alpha based sedan would seem to be priced too close to and ultimately competitive with the Cadillac version. I know I'm gonna get slammed for this statement, but I think Buick should remain GM's FWD based luxury brand. Giving Buick RWD products allows it to invade Cadillac's territory.

As for Alpha, I think they're talking about the next-gen Excelle; Not the current gen. They suspect the Excelle will be remodeled onto the Alpha platform. We'll have to wait and see.

As for RWD/FWD???? Like it or not, Cadillac and Buick target different luxury preferences and different demographics.

The Buick LeSabre & Park Avenue did not "steal" Cadillac Deville & Seville sales when they were all FWD, so why should Buick "steal" sales if both brands have RWD models? That assumption just sounds ridiculous to me. There's more to vehicles beside the driving wheels.

As a Buick owner, I have no desire to "move-up" to Cadillac. If Buick was phased out, I'd still have no desire to move to Cadillac. Like-wise, I can't possibly picture a Cadillac owner "stepping down" to a Buick. Even priced equally, I don't think that would change. Being in the same "market" does not make them direct competitors either. An example of this is like someone saying the HUMMER H2 "steals" sales from the Cadillac Escalade. Two completely different types of buyers. Both vehicles survive in the same market on their own merits. The truth is, Cadillac can't attract H2 buyers with the Escalade. Just like an Escalade buyer wouldn't drive an H2. Cadillac and Buick can do the same in luxury cars/CUVs.

• 4 weeks later...

The insecure will moan at this one, but I think GM screwed up royaly by placing Buick with Pontiac and GMC. These dealerships do not have the facilities or mind-set to sell sophisticted, luxury vehicles. Buick should have been paired with... ah... dare I say it, Cadillac. The two are so different, yet so much alike in target market. They sell the same package, just in different wrappings. So much more value would have been added to the Buick brand, and both they and Cadillac actually could benefit from the increased showroom traffic. Buick dealers could actually ask the "new" higher pricing needed to pay for the quality upgrades and not have to be embarrassed by the less than humble surroundings. Most of the Buick/Pontiac dealerships in my area ended up in Chevrolet dealerships. You can't sell a Lexus at a truck or Chevy dealership, and Buick does want to be Lexus. Or is that Cadillac? Oh well, put them in the same selling space and let the buyers make the decision. At least each will compliment the other, and GM does not have the momentous task of drawing high-end customers into a low-end dealership to sell one of its more luxurious brands.

All we are saying, is give Buick a chance.

Edited by InvictaMan

The insecure will moan at this one, but I think GM screwed up royaly by placing Buick with Pontiac and GMC. These dealerships do not have the facilities or mind-set to sell sophisticted, luxury vehicles. Buick should have been paired with... ah... dare I say it, Cadillac. The two are so different, yet so much alike in target market. They sell the same package, just in different wrappings. So much more value would have been added to the Buick brand, and both they and Cadillac actually could benefit from the increased showroom traffic. Buick dealers could actually ask the "new" higher pricing needed to pay for the quality upgrades and not have to be embarrassed by the less than humble surroundings. Most of the Buick/Pontiac dealerships in my area ended up in Chevrolet dealerships. You can't sell a Lexus at a truck or Chevy dealership, and Buick does want to be Lexus. Or is that Cadillac? Oh well, put them in the same selling space and let the buyers make the decision. At least each will compliment the other, and GM does not have the momentous task of drawing high-end customers into a low-end dealership to sell one of its more luxurious brands.

All we are saying, is give Buick a chance.

I totally agree and have said the same thing many times on this forum. Buick belongs with Cadillac in the luxury dealership network (GM could sell Saab and Hummer; Buick and Cadillac could carry the luxury channel on their own). Buick could carry FWD luxury cars and FWD/AWD crossovers. Cadillac could offer RWD luxury cars.

This would leave room for GM to combine Saturn with Pontiac/GMC to form a midmarket, import focused dealer network. Saturn could carry FWD cars and MPVs, Pontiac could carry RWD cars, and GMC could carry FWD/AWD crossovers (Chevy could carry the shrinking truck market on its own).

Chevrolet would be on its own as the affordable, volume division. This division would have the most diverse product portfolio consisting of FWD cars, FWD/AWD crossovers, trucks/SUVs, and 2 RWD sports coupes (Camaro and Corvette).

GM may have quite a few divisions, but they could completely cover all segments of the auto market if they combined the divisions into three dealer networks (after ditching Saab and Hummer) with each division (except Chevrolet) offering a focused, niche product portfolio.