Ugh...

So yesterday we went to get the T&C out of the tow yard where it was being kept. Assuming it was drivable the plan was for me to drive it home with my girlfriend and mom following behind me. We get to yard, pay the bill and my girlfriend and I go to the van. It's way at the corner of the yard against a fence and about 6 inches away from some smashed up Elantra. I get in and start it up, then slowly back it out. I hear dragging and she points out the exhaust is on the ground...oh goodie. I move the van to an open space and notice that the force of the impact knocked it off of the hangers...no big deal. I get under the van and look around under it while I'm putting the exhaust back on. Yup...there's a big dent but nothing leaks and all of the suspension components fine. I also pull off teh side molding since it was hanging low.

This is where it gets fun. I get up from under the van and one of the tow guys...I dunno if he's the boss or what...don't really care comes over with my mom. He then proceeds to tell me "it's unsafe to drive and the cop will pull you over and take away your license if you drive it because there is a dent in the side." I'm like..WTF? Yeah ok, because I had a swat team on my ass when we drove the Prizm across town to a body shop right? Before I get a word in he interrupts me and starts to tell my mom "it's worthless, they totaled it you should just leave it here. If you take it away I have to call the insurance company and tell them and they will drop your claim" Then he goes on "interrupting me again with scare tactics like what will we do if it gets hit again since the driver's door is stuck?" I',m thinking to myself, hey major douchebag? There's 3 other doors to exit from? Unless I get sandwiched between a walll, a car one side and a car in my ass I think I can you know...open another f@#king door.

He continues you cut me off each time I go to say something, and my mom, being my mom, buys into his BS hook line and sucker. He then comes up with his best line yet "i'm on your side, i'm looking out for you and I'll help you with the insurance company so they don't give you the lowest value". She buys into this crap, which infuriates me because I have been down this road before, with the same totaled car issue. Furious, I say f@#k it, and go back to my car. We leave and I give her an earful...pissed is putting it mildly, because I hate how my word is always ranked lower than everyone else's, even some stupid stranger out to make a buck. When the Prizm was totaled the insurance company didn't care that I took it home, because even though they declared it totaled I said I wanted to take it to a shop and have it looked t. Yet amazingly I was not denied my claim or pulled over by the entire police department for driving it.

So guys, you can see where my frustration comes from. I'd have AAA tow it but our coverage expired in November and was never renewed (my mom was the plan holder and never told me she didn't renew it, I found it out yesterday after calling AAA).

Do you think the insurance company can "reject a claim" for taking your own car out of the tow yard under it's own power? Will the cops suddenly be alerted to a van with a big dent in it going across town and drop their donuts and leave the scene of a murder to converge on it?

Good play.

He just wants to keep collecting the storage fees from the insurance co.

Exactly, and what she didn't realize is that after a certain point the insurance will stop paying for those fees and they will have to be paid out of pocket.

Edited by Dodgefan

To update, we got the van back today. I had a big speech prepared to chew the asshole out but he didn't give us any hard time this time so we just paid him and left the office. I dragged my brother along to ride shotgun in the van as we made the journey home following the Intrepid.

Say what you will about Chrysler vans but that thing is a trooper. ran and drove like nothing ever happened, even enjoyed the A/C while Jessica and my mom had the windows down in my car. :P

So..... what are you going to do with it?

That is a good question. For the hell of it I'm going to take it to a couple body shops to have it looked at and get a possible estimate. If it can be done at a reasonable price (like the Prizm, but without the stupid trunk leak). We may just fix it. If not the other options are to sell the parts off or get the shell of another van and swap parts...if I can even find one...they are so hard to come by these days.

For now I'm glad it's out of that prick's tow yard (I hate them with a passion, I also think they stole the rear wiper off of it) and safely back home.

I know there are certain members who will say junk it!!!111ELEVENTY!!! but I'm stubborn liek that, and plsu I want to at least get a price. If it's insanely high f@#k it, but we'll see next week.

Notice how the glass didn't brake at all, not even a crack.

Like I told you on the phone the other day...

that is totall and complete bull$hit. So long

as you guys have the van there they get to

charge you storage.

Git er outta there ASAP!

That is a good question. For the hell of it I'm going to take it to a couple body shops to have it looked at and get a possible estimate. If it can be done at a reasonable price (like the Prizm, but without the stupid trunk leak)....

Cheap fix in rear ended Prizm = trunk leak

Cheap fix in t-boned Chrysler = unsafe deathtrap

Dude, I think it's really cool you get every last mile/$

out of your cars but seriously, there's a time when

you gotta realize that enough is enough. The van

was totalled. It's F***ed. Buy ANOTHER one if you

guys love so much & keep this poor wreck for a parts

car but it's NOT worth spending the money to fix it.

O.B. is in the business & even he's told you the same.

-

Edited by Sixty8panther

Like I told you on the phone the other day...

that is totall and complete bull$hit. So long

as you guys have the van there they get to

charge you storage.

Git er outta there ASAP!

Guy sounds like a dick. If you ask me. I hope you still took the van out of the yard.

To update, we got the van back today. I had a big speech prepared to chew the asshole out but he didn't give us any hard time this time so we just paid him and left the office. I dragged my brother along to ride shotgun in the van as we made the journey home following the Intrepid.

:P

Oh... I missed that part of the post. :alcoholic:

I had something similar to this happen one time...

Insurance company totaled the car and we wanted to buy it back from them and have it repaired. Went to the yard to get it and the guy is like "We've already sold it to another yard in Charlotte." (Who no doubt wanted it for parts since the car was kinda rare)

I was very pissed and ended up making that yard haul the car back up here to my house and then charge the original yard for the tow bill.

The insurance company was very helpful and sided with me since I was fair with them and had, after all, bought the car back from them.

It's been my experience that 75% of the time junk/salvage yard people are shady assholes.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM