Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

CAFE will cost big 3 more than Japanese

Link

So because US automakers make better large vehicles and therefore sell more they get penalized more?

Was CAFE dreamed up by politicians that don't understand math? Seems like required mileage ratings should depend on the class of vehicle. I'm not opposed to gas mileage requirements but it's really not going to force construction companies to trade their 1-ton work truck for a Honda Civic. Trucks are still needed, and this penalizes companies who make good ones and therefore sell more. This is going to hurt US industry more in the process. Did I miss something?

The point is not to sell so many vehicles that use so much gas. A lot of people of who have trucks and large SUVs don't really need them. Also, a lot of large vehicles could be more efficient.

At the risk of drawing a poor analogy, are you saying that it is unfair that killers go to jail more than non-killers just because they are better at killing?

I'm not going to touch your analogy.

I'm saying some people still need gas guzzlers. Some one needs to provide them. The companies that gererally do it best are the big 3. We're penalizing our own industry because this regulation is a little short sighted.

I'm still going to need a pickup even if gas is $10 a gallon. I won't drive it as much, but I'll still use it.

Edited by biff

Was CAFE dreamed up by politicians that don't understand math?

I think three out of every four politicians in Washington probably fail at basic math.

Seems like required mileage ratings should depend on the class of vehicle.

Exactly! You would think that this is common sense, but look at what we are left with.

I'm not opposed to gas mileage requirements but it's really not going to force construction companies to trade their 1-ton work truck for a Honda Civic. Trucks are still needed, and this penalizes companies who make good ones and therefore sell more. This is going to hurt US industry more in the process.

Agreed.

CAFE is a fatally flawed piece of U.S. legislation, point blank, case closed, period.

Well, part of the plan was to PUNISH the Detroit automakers for making a profit because they're "big, evil corporations"

Say what you will, but Detroit was getting up off of the matt. Washington knew it, the greenies knew it and the consumer knew it. That's one of the big reasons why this legislation was passed. The plan always was for Detroit to die a slow, painful death. And so it will now thanks to the anti-Detroit media and environmentalists teaming up with the government.

Why not look into some other alternatives. What about a 4 day work week? Or jobs allowing more people to work out of home? I worked out of home for 9 years and drove a Avalanche, now I work 40 min. away driving a 4 cyl alero (still have the Av though). So now that I drive a 30 mpg car as a daily driver I actually use a LOT more gas per year than when I was driving a 17 mpg Avalanche as a daily driver. I'd support a 4 day work week (10 hr days) but can bet that most poeple will freely drive right to the mall on the extra day. I'm amazed at how swamped the local mall gets on the weekend. This $4 gas isn't slowing anybodies spending/traveling down. We are far from any type of recession.